Hobbs to Rutgers as Associate Head Coach | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hobbs to Rutgers as Associate Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The yards obsession with a "big man coach" is hilarious , this isn't the 90s. Skill development needs to be prioritized not just for the bigs but for the guards who shoot under 50% at the rim. The next coach should be well rounded enough to work with both , also being a recruiting ace would be nice.

Reaction Score
Chief harps on second chances for Clyde. Clyde got busted with a prostitute 3 times. With stakes this high, people may deserve second chances, not 4th chances. I know KO has been killing it but I would love to land a well connected ace recruiter.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I happen to think that despite our troubles the last couple of seasons with lazy offensive sets, it was the basketball minds of the coaches that brought along those prior to 2 teams to make them so crisp despite their seeming lack of talent. During the McDs game it was mentioned that the 2014 team was the (or one of the only) national champions without a McDs player.

Karl Hobbs brought GW to new heights when he was there, but he kind of lost it with players who were doing badly in classes. On the court, they were formidable. He was also the point guard mentor for many of the 90s and early 2000s. Khalid, Taliek, Ricky Moore.

People are underestimating this loss.

I love Karl, but he got himself into trouble by relying way too heavily on these so-called basketball prep schools, that in many cases weren't schools at all but just an excuse to recruit a bunch of blue blood HS BB talent to a factory where they could play and not have to do much in terms of academics. Academic accreditation wasn't much of a priority at these places. Then his recruits couldn't do the academic work at GW, which is a good school.

Reaction Score
Seems strange that a fellow Uconn alum would steal away one of our coaches, was this something Ollie gave his blessing on perhaps?
Hobbs family lives in Maryland, this puts him closer to home. Big loss for us.
I don't consider Hobbs a "big loss". I went to school with him and he is a great guy but I would not exactly consider him inspiring. Solid guy but we have too many UConn guys on our bench. Greatest success we ever had in the program - Calhoun - no UConn connection at all. Our big guys have not developed at all in the current regime however there is no question that elite guards win in college basketball. How many elite guard coaches do we need? We need wing and big development to really take it over the top. Taliek NYC connection is great but again it is guard oriented. We are fine in that area. Outside developers with our outside guys - novel idea huh?

Reaction Score
The yards obsession with a "big man coach" is hilarious , this isn't the 90s. Skill development needs to be prioritized not just for the bigs but for the guards who shoot under 50% at the rim. The next coach should be well rounded enough to work with both , also being a recruiting ace would be nice.

is that avatar Gus from Season 5/The Wire?

Reaction Score
Plus the bigs should get some coaching at "Big Man Camp"

Reaction Score
I'm totally with you on second chances, but it's damn hard to do, if not impossible, at the same school from which he got fired. It's a PR problem. It also hard for Ollie to walk into a parents house and justify it, while preaching family/character/father figure at the same time Especially given the fact that our program is just coming out of it's troubles. Not to mention the current Louisville/Pitino hooker news cycle. I def think Clyde should get a second chance, but not at UCONN.
Bullseye! Second chances indeed; it's just extremely unlikely to be in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I don't consider Hobbs a "big loss". I went to school with him and he is a great guy but I would not exactly consider him inspiring. Solid guy but we have too many UConn guys on our bench. Greatest success we ever had in the program - Calhoun - no UConn connection at all. Our big guys have not developed at all in the current regime however there is no question that elite guards win in college basketball. How many elite guard coaches do we need? We need wing and big development to really take it over the top. Taliek NYC connection is great but again it is guard oriented. We are fine in that area. Outside developers with our outside guys - novel idea huh?

One thing about our bigs not developing: we recruited a thin kid out of the top 100 who hadn't played basketball prior to 3 years before he showed up on campus. Facey is a similar story.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Brandin Knight left Pitt today. He knows the NJ/NY area. He signed Mike Young, who's probably Pitt's best guy at the moment.

Knight recruiting work at Pitt praised

Even some Pitt bb board guys think Knight replacing Hobbs and getting experience w/Ollie is the next best thing to a HC job at a mid-major.

I have no idea if he can coach or recruit, but he was a hell of a tough sob to play against. As good as games against Syracuse and GTown were in the early days of JC's tenure, the later battles against Pitt were pretty epic in their own way. Brandin Knight comes back on the court barely able to walk and puts up a shot that almost goes... not bad for a Pitt plodder.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Brandin Knight secretly hates UConn.

Vaughn comes with baggage.

The best option IMO is to go outside of the UConn family. I'll say it again, this is a business. We've been clueless on the bench the last few years. We need some new blood.

Reaction Score
Brandin Knight secretly hates UConn.

Vaughn comes with baggage.

The best option IMO is to go outside of the UConn family. I'll say it again, this is a business. We've been clueless on the bench the last few years. We need some new blood.
Amazing that our clueless bench has managed to win 5 NCAA tournament games as the lower seed, and a National Championship.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thanks Coach Hobbs! Best of luck with Steve and in helping to spread the legacy of UConn coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom