Gibbs to UConn (Officially Official) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Gibbs to UConn (Officially Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Gibbs' perspective, it's not hard to see the appeal of UConn. Over the past decade, every lead guard that has started at UConn has gotten a legitimate chance to play in the NBA.

Well that's a pretty solid recruiting pitch for a PG. Maybe Ollie is getting a feel for what works? (We'll see with Gilbert.)

Reaction Score
Where did you get those rankings of his stats in the Big East? I did a double take when I saw that 42% on threes was 7th in the BE. I figured that didn't make sense. Then I saw this in the New Haven Register article about his commitment to UConn:

An elite shooter, Gibbs was second in the Big East in 3-point shooting at 43.6 percent, which also ranked ninth nationally and was the second highest in Seton Hall history.

The 9th best 3 point shooter in the country is just what the doctor ordered.
These stats were only for league games, not the entire season: http://www.bigeast.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/confonly.html

Yeah, I was surprised he was 7th shooting 42%, but here were the rankings:
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 12.02.55 AM.png

And the overall rankings:
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 12.01.54 AM.png

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
This is good. Im tired of eatin' salad. Enchiladas tonight followed by Mad Max!

Was your salad tossed?

Reaction Score
I don't think we need it.

We have Hamilton, Calhoun and the three-guard set.

I actually don't think we have room for Brown this year....which is all right given that he's not reclassifying.

Completely agree...... I actually think we have the perfect amount of reserves. Maybe a tad more talented would be good, but I think they can do the job. And why waste a year On a guy like brown when there is room for him, but not really. If he is coming I prefer it be in 2016.

Reaction Score
These stats were only for league games, not the entire season: http://www.bigeast.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/confonly.html

Yeah, I was surprised he was 7th shooting 42%, but here were the rankings:
View attachment 9540

And the overall rankings:
View attachment 9539
O.K. got it. I guess like all statistics they can make them say whatever they want.

The official NCAA statistics for 3 point shooting percentage only lists players who made at least 2.5 per game and played in 75% of their team's games. That's where Gibbs was 9th.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/143

I guess the main point is that Gibbs is definitely a very good three point shooter. Which is much needed next year.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. I actually think we have the perfect amount of reserves. Maybe a tad more talented would be good, but I think they can do the job. And why waste a year On a guy like brown when there is room for him, but not really. If he is coming I prefer it be in 2016.
Well if we can get him now and get him a year earlier than I would take it. One less position we have to worry about in 16. I would just love to see some upgrades in the backups at the wing and guards but I can live with SCjr and Omar if that is the best we can do.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That description sounds like a better version of Sam Cassell. Hopefully Sam can be an adequate backup (2nd guard off the bench).
Cassell slides into tears void left by Samuel.

Reaction Score
What a pleasent piece of news to wake up to. Welcome aboard Mr. Gibbs, looking forward to seeing you i Husky blue.

Reaction Score
Khalid El Amin
Taliek Brown
Marcus Williams
AJ Price
Kemba Walker
Shabazz Napier
Ryan Boatright
Sterling Gibbs
Jalen Adams

We have been spoiled. Alterique, what are you waiting for!?!:D
I think it would be epic if @tcf15 made a video showcasing all our great lead guards. And if I were KO I'd show it to every PG I ever recruit

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cassell slides into tears void left by Samuel.
No doubt that he got pushed down a bit, but I want to see the kid healthy before I decide how much he'll contribute.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@DaveBorges: Just had good conversation with Sterling Gibbs. Sounds like an impressive young man.

Reaction Score
@wspaxton: Gibbs said he already knew Purvis and enjoyed 'going up and chilling with him' on visit to #UConn

Purvis is an amazing visit host.
Being a fellow transfer, he seems like the go-to-host for the prospective transfer candidates. Way to go Rodney!

I'm sure this has been pointed out, or at least similar thoughts. NC teams tend to be led by experienced upperclassmen. Adding Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller adds a great deal of both talent and experience. As far as the likely major contributors to this upcoming season, only Adams and Hamilton will be underclassmen, though if Enoch comes along quickly you can add him to the mix of young contributors. Purvis, Brimah and if you want to throw in Nolan, Calhoun and Facey, are all upperclassmen.

At worst, I think this team will be a tough out in the NCAA tournament. If Adams matures beyond his age by season's end as does the team chemistry, this team could be a F-4 team to be reckoned with, and we all know how that usually works out when UConn punches that dance card. Hopefully Adams, Miller and Gibbs will all be fast learners. It's not easy to learn to run half-court sets snappy enough where they create the scoring advantages they're designed to generate, not to mention learning their roles on the other end of the floor w/in KO's disciplined team defense. I sort of expect them to be somewhat mechanical starting out, but hope by mid to latter 3rd of the season, that they're executing at a high level on both ends of the floor. As some have pointed out, the perimeter defenders have to be much better so that they don't expose Brimah and Miller to have to leave their men and step into driving lanes where they'll be prone to picking up cheap fouls. Adding Gibbs, a big time deep threat should open up driving and passing lanes and generate higher percentage opportunities, something that was very hard to come by this past season. The addition of Miller should bump the post scoring conversion rate significantly. At times during the season our perimeter players did an okay job of getting the ball to Nolan and Facey, but both struggled royally to convert those into points. I was surprised to see how often Nolan couldn't even get the ball to the rim and got stuffed. I didn't realize till after the season, that he was suffering from plantar fasciitis. That might explain why his hops were underwhelming...I hope so. Many of our scoring droughts would have been minimized of our bigs could simply convert close to the hoop, something that I hope is rectified this coming season with the addition of Miller and some improvement from our returning bigs.

I'm not sure what to expect from Enoch. Most automatically discount raw bigs like Enoch from not contributing or seeing the floor, but we often forget that we've had a few that have surprised us even during their freshman campaigns, such as Emeka and Boone, two that come to mind. Granted both were raw offensively, but would convert close to the basket enough to keep teams honest. Based on Enoch's rep, I think he could give us something both defensively and offensively via the dunk at close range. He appears to be a tad more mature physically than most of our bigs coming in plus does play above the rim. If our perimeter guys can get him the ball within that arc that I believe will be extended, there's a good chance he'll get the ball to the rim or get to the line. Hopefully he's at least an average FT shooter.

Anyhow, like many here, I like the makeup and potential of the 2015/16 team.

Reaction Score
the fruits of mwills legend. theres no doubt he thought about him when he got the idea of donnin a uconn jersey... pretty excited he's already familiar with the squad.

Reaction Score
the fruits of mwills legend. theres no doubt he thought about him when he got the idea of donnin a uconn jersey... pretty excited he's already familiar with the squad.
Love Marcus getting the shout out.

Reaction Score
@DaveBorges: Gibbs said his favorite player has always been Marcus Williams. "I used to watch all his games, even when he was on the Nets."
Mine to. If I were a GM, Marcus Williams would have most likely cost me my job. I'd still put him on my team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom