Gibbs to UConn (Officially Official) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gibbs to UConn (Officially Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it white or clear?
maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
Why, you think the kids decide how hard they play or try based on their ranking? Goofy

I just like being an under dog. I think kids play harder when they feel like they have something to prove. we played our hardest last year when we thought we had to win out to make the tournament.

Reaction Score
No I think we are set at pf-c with ab, sm, se, kf, and pn. Now it would be nice if we could get a swing player to play 2-3 as we don't have much depth there with only Omar backing up dham. It would be nice if Bruce Brown reclassifies.
Omar is a pretty good backup, comes with experience and a Ring, Cassell is 2nd backup option who was juco all american. Looks good on paper that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Omar is a pretty good backup, comes with experience and a Ring, Cassell is 2nd backup option who was juco all american. Looks good on paper that's for sure.
Are you really confident with those two based off last year? I know I'm not but we might just have to make due with them. I'm just glad we have another ball handler now.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Are you really confident with those two based off last year? I know I'm not but we might just have to make due with them. I'm just glad we have another ball handler now.
they both were hurt a majority of the season(omar for almost 2 years)... based off of omars previous years yes and sams preseason yes...

Reaction Score
they both were hurt a majority of the season(omar for almost 2 years)... based off of omars previous years yes and sams preseason yes...
Ok I'm not too confident in either one and we might not have to see either one much. Will give Sam I am the benefit of the doubt due to recent injury. I just don't think Omar will ever be the same player after the surgeries.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Here's the good part...it doesn't matter.

If you have to rely on players like Cassell or Calhoun, you're going to get deep enough into them where the weaknesses will come into play. As we saw last year, it doesn't work well in the long-term.

Next year, though, we need them in strictly a reserve role. (Perhaps Omar more than Sam). Put 'em in, if they're doing well, roll with them for a few extra minutes. If they're not, take 'em out.

It is a luxury Kevin will have next year that he didn't have this year.

Reaction Score
Here's the good part...it doesn't matter.

If you have to rely on players like Cassell or Calhoun, you're going to get deep enough into them where the weaknesses will come into play. As we saw last year, it doesn't work well in the long-term.

Next year, though, we need them in strictly a reserve role. (Perhaps Omar more than Sam). Put 'em in, if they're doing well, roll with them for a few extra minutes. If they're not, take 'em out.

It is a luxury Kevin will have next year that he didn't have this year.
I agree but as you noted that we might need more depth at the 3 a Bruce Brown late addition to help play the 3 would be nice if he reclassifies. He can also play thr two. I'm just glad we got Gibbs so it isn't a pressing need.

Reaction Score
Ok I'm not too confident in either one and we might not have to see either one much. Will give Sam I am the benefit of the doubt due to recent injury. I just don't think Omar will ever be the same player after the surgeries.
I could see KO going with a 3 guard rotation a lot more if Omar doesn't step it up. At this point when Hamilton needs a breath, I'd be much more confident with Adams, Gibbs and Purvis on the floor but we'll see. JA,SG,RP,SM and AB could turn the game into a track meet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I agree but as you noted that we might need more depth at the 3 a Bruce Brown late addition to help play the 3 would be nice if he reclassifies. He can also play thr two. I'm just glad we got Gibbs so it isn't a pressing need.

I don't think we need it.

We have Hamilton, Calhoun and the three-guard set.

I actually don't think we have room for Brown this year....which is all right given that he's not reclassifying.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I bet he waited so long cause @tcf15 slacked off on making him a sick graphic for his tweet... Step your game up man!

Reaction Score
I don't think we need it.

We have Hamilton, Calhoun and the three-guard set.

I actually don't think we have room for Brown this year....which is all right given that he's not reclassifying.
I'm just pointing out if we could get someone else a 2-3 swing player would be ideal. I agree there is no pressing need right now. I would just love to be like Duke, NC and Duke with 3 deep at every position. I would like someone that has more talent than Omar to backup DHAM but that might just be a pipe dream.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm just pointing out if we could get someone else a 2-3 swing player would be ideal. I agree there is no pressing need right now. I would just love to be like Duke, NC and Duke with 3 deep at every position. I would like someone that has more talent than Omar to backup DHAM but that might just be a pipe dream.

Gotcha.

We definitely need a wing in the next class - and they're recruiting several - but I don't know that there are any worth pursuing in this class.

Perhaps that changes if KeVaughn Allen does indeed shake free at Florida....

And if not, I have no idea why they wouldn't go hells bells after Terrier Larrier.

Reaction Score
Omar Calhoun is a really good backup 3, a guy who will be our 7th/8th man. Asking for someone better is just getting greedy.

Reaction Score
Duke had like 8 players by the end of the year, they weren't 3 deep at every position. The main thing is making sure you have a strong 6-8 group of players, which is what this team should have.

Reaction Score
Gibbs takes a lot of pressure off of Adams. Still think the key next year will be Brimah. He has to make better decisions and our perimeter defense has to do a better job so Brimah doesn't have to leave his man. There will be a surprise: Sam Jr., Omar or Facey could have improved and/or gotten healthy over the summer. We are definitely going to be better and KO will have a lot more options.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We all know the Dairy Bar sold him on Storrs along with Ted's. ;)

Welcome to Storrs, Sterling

Reaction Score
Per-game stats for Gibbs in Big East play last year:

Scoring: 17.5 (2nd)
Assists: 4.1 (5th)
Steals: 1.2 (11th)
3P%: 42.0 (7th)
3P made: 2.9 (2nd)
A/T Ratio: 2.0 (3rd)
Where did you get those rankings of his stats in the Big East? I did a double take when I saw that 42% on threes was 7th in the BE. I figured that didn't make sense. Then I saw this in the New Haven Register article about his commitment to UConn:

An elite shooter, Gibbs was second in the Big East in 3-point shooting at 43.6 percent, which also ranked ninth nationally and was the second highest in Seton Hall history.

The 9th best 3 point shooter in the country is just what the doctor ordered.

Reaction Score
I love they he has great passing ability and can truly play the point. He can sure shoot the rock. Though I will say not the most athletic guy but very crafty and quick to get to his spots on the floor. He is a good chance of pace from Jalen who is a high flyer.

That description sounds like a better version of Sam Cassell. Hopefully Sam can be an adequate backup (2nd guard off the bench).

Reaction Score
Just got back from dinner and a movie needing some really good news. GREAT news is even better, exciting stuff.

This after my wife dragged me and another couple to ironically "Hot Pursuit" - while KO and the staff won in their pursuit of Gibbsy the movie is a loser! Even with Sophia V in it - ugh :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom