Geno slams door on Tenn game talk | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno slams door on Tenn game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I could care less if it never happens again." JoePgh in his post above interprets Geno as being indifferent; like if someone else can make it happen, fine. But the video tells a different story as does that little "I could give two s***s about that game." I have a hazy memory that when this subject was brought up at a coaches event 2 years ago it was Holly who initiated the conversation, but she back pedaled because Pat got after her. That was not the way to begin with Geno who definitely sees UConn as the aggrieved party. Geno's apology condition is, in my opinion, his way of saying NO without saying it. AND he is sick of it being brought up.

Judging from VolNation, which we cannot say is representative of Vol fans, they want no part of a game at this time, convinced of the pasting the Ladies would get. When they think they can win they will be on here howling for a game. For Geno I believe the answer will still be: Stick it. And no AD would make him do it. 'Course there is always the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that TN, led by PS, accused Geno and the staff of cheating; plain and simple. After the NCAA investigation found only one of the eleven charges to be a violation, and a secondary violation at that, Geno and the University were owed an apology. Even if PS disagreed with the final determination, that's what she should have done. Instead, she ended the series and walked away. I don't know about you, but when someone accuses me of cheating and they're found to be wrong, I'm owed an apology. I wouldn't care how much money is to be made or whatever else is to be gained. It's unconscionable that PS, who is held In such high regard, would not after all this time decide enough is enough and face the facts that she embarrassed herself and her university.

I applaud Geno for taking this position. It's true that at this point we don't need TN to validate our program. We have the titles to prove it. But, this is not about validation. This about false accusations and facts. TN should been penalized by the NCAA when these false charges were not substantiated. TN was classless then and they are classless now in failing to want to apologize for looking to defame the top coach and top program in the sport. Until they issue a statement along the lines of what some one posted earlier in this thread no one in Husky Nation should ever be looking to renew this series. TIMO.

Reaction Score
If I didn't despise poor Tenn before reading these 3 pages of posts I really do now. If you throw out lies and false accusations and proven wrong you should be held accountable. Screw "em". Spoiled little brats, babies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I can't imagine that Tennessee will ever apologize, at least not in a truly open way. And that got me to thinking - this most certainly can't be the only example of one school unfairly disparaging another program.

My question: Is anyone aware of any instance where a college program apologized to another for unfair accusations, or any other cause?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The bottom line is that TN, led by PS, accused Geno and the staff of cheating; plain and simple. After the NCAA investigation found only one of the eleven charges to be a violation, and a secondary violation at that, Geno and the University were owed an apology. Even if PS disagreed with the final determination, that's what she should have done. Instead, she ended the series and walked away. I don't know about you, but when someone accuses me of cheating and they're found to be wrong, I'm owed an apology. I wouldn't care how much money is to be made or whatever else is to be gained. It's unconscionable that PS, who is held In such high regard, would not after all this time decide enough is enough and face the facts that she embarrassed herself and her university.

I applaud Geno for taking this position. It's true that at this point we don't need TN to validate our program. We have the titles to prove it. But, this is not about validation. This about false accusations and facts. TN should been penalized by the NCAA when these false charges were not substantiated. TN was classless then and they are classless now in failing to want to apologize for looking to defame the top coach and top program in the sport. Until they issue a statement along the lines of what some one posted earlier in this thread no one in Husky Nation should ever be looking to renew this series. TIMO.
Slight correction - NONE of the complaints were violations. The secondary violation was self-reported. The violation was that a new staffer called ESPN to arrange a spot on a tour that was available to the public, not realizing that UConn wasn't able to make the call for the recruit.

Reaction Score
We ARE playing Tennessee next year..... Tenn-Chattanooga...... who beat the Lady Vols this year AND last..... we still are seeking out the best teams.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
We ARE playing Tennessee next year..... Tenn-Chattanooga. who beat the Lady Vols this year AND last..... we still are seeking out the best teams.

If I recall correctly, Chattanooga beat the Lady Vols this season and two seasons ago - I believe their first win was also the first game of Warlick's tenure.

Reaction Score
I am proud of coach Auriemma for making these comments. The Lady Vols and their higher ups decided to cancel the series over something false. Our program has moved on and developed intense series with Stanford and The Lady Irish over at Notre Dame. If coaches comments keeps us out of the so called P-5 (Power five Conferences) it is a good thing. The American Athletic Conference, in 4-5 years, will be better than any of the so-called P-5 conferences.

I know this won;'t be a popular opinion here, but IMHO, it is just sad that people can't get over this stuff. The TN-UConn dispute happened over Maya Moore, for crying out loud, who has been out of college basketball for years. Yes, TN was wrong, but UConn needs to get over it. While I am sure that UConn's abysmal football program is a major reason the university is not in a real conference, I cannot help but feel that institutional arrogance dating back more than a decade has not helped, either.

Under Geno, UConn will continue to get its share of great recruits, and because he's Geno, they will continue to win big-time. But after Geno, a UConn team in the AAC will find the pickins pretty slim. UConn needs to do everything it can to position itself for a decade down the road, rather than three years down the road, and if that means a little humility, and doing things for the good of the game rather than just for the good of UConn, that's how it should be.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes, but she was touted by the Tennessee fan base as the next savior before her first practice.
Yes at the time a point guard was badly needed. Massengale has had a good career. Though she hasn't played a full season without injury of some kind.

Reaction Score
I know this won;'t be a popular opinion here, but IMHO, it is just sad that people can't get over this stuff. The TN-UConn dispute happened over Maya Moore, for crying out loud, who has been out of college basketball for years. Yes, TN was wrong, but UConn needs to get over it. While I am sure that UConn's abysmal football program is a major reason the university is not in a real conference, I cannot help but feel that institutional arrogance dating back more than a decade has not helped, either.

Under Geno, UConn will continue to get its share of great recruits, and because he's Geno, they will continue to win big-time. But after Geno, a UConn team in the AAC will find the pickins pretty slim. UConn needs to do everything it can to position itself for a decade down the road, rather than three years down the road, and if that means a little humility, and doing things for the good of the game rather than just for the good of UConn, that's how it should be.

You bring up a couple of good points here, but as for "UConn needs to get over it"...... it is hard to talk about continuance of what had been a good series..... when TN is still saying "You know what you did!"....... what is their ongoing contention..... yes i know what it is but it has been disproven..... and we should , you contend, just say forget about it and go forth? there still is tremendous enmity down there and vulgarity and profanity (check their websites) to describe our coach, I know it is a broken record..... but it is a non issue.... this ongoing discussion is stuck in neutral.....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
tomcat said:

opinions are like noses, everybody's got one.

so...

where's the dislike button?

that'my opinion

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For anybody that wants to know what happened and how low and disgusting Tenn stooped to destroy the UConn program so they could remain at the top I will be at the Duke game tomorrow nite and the Boneyarders meet before and at half time by the Trumbull St exit by section 119 next to the Carvel/Dunkin Donuts stand. Be there and I will tell you what it was like to go through that mess.

The series with Tenn should never be renewed even with an apology JMO. What they tried so hard to do was so low and despicable its beyond words. For those of you who weren't involved you have no idea. They tried to bring down the program, coaches, parents, recruits, players former and present and everybody and anybody they could without leaving out anybody to destroy our program because they thought [Pat] had the pull. She didn't and it blew up in their face. They have got to be so embarrassed and humiliate beyond belief but knowing them they think theyre right because most of their fans believe the lies. Understand Geno knows more then all of us combined and I can only imagine what he had to go through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I was not a fan back then so I have no sense of history, but listening to this back and forth, I can't imagine how big of a celebration and rub it in your face it would be if/when Tenn beats UConn in the NCAA Tournament. UConn beating Tenn won't seem to be as big of a deal to UConn fan, I think. I think a Tenn fan (forgot who) made a statement here a few months ago that Holly Warlick will be the first coach to beat GA in a national championship game. I am going to get my popcorn ready for that day to see all the fireworks! :)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I had not reached puberty then, so I have no sense of history, but listening to this back and forth, I can't imagine how big of a celebration and rub it in your face it would be if/when I seduce Kate Hudson at my Senior Prom. My seducing Kate Hudson won't seem as big a deal to her as it will to me, I think. I think a high-school bandmate made a statement here a few months ago that I'd be the first high-school guy to seduce her at prom. I am going to get my popcorn ready for that day to see all the fireworks.

Only slightly more unrealistic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

All that is required is for Tennessee to admit wrong doing and apologize for it. UConn did nothing that needs getting over. Tennessee created the problem and only they can end it by doing the right thing.

Reaction Score
For anybody that wants to know what happened and how low and disgusting Tenn stooped to destroy the UConn program so they could remain at the top I will be at the Duke game tomorrow nite and the Boneyarders meet before and at half time by the Trumbull St exit by section 119 next to the Carvel/Dunkin Donuts stand. Be there and I will tell you what it was like to go through that mess.

The series with Tenn should never be renewed even with an apology JMO. What they tried so hard to do was so low and despicable its beyond words. For those of you who weren't involved you have no idea. They tried to bring down the program, coaches, parents, recruits, players former and present and everybody and anybody they could without leaving out anybody to destroy our program because they thought [Pat] had the pull. She didn't and it blew up in their face. They have got to be so embarrassed and humiliate beyond belief but knowing them they think theyre right because most of their fans believe the lies. Understand Geno knows more then all of us combined and I can only imagine what he had to go through.

As I always say on your posts on this subject AMEN Tony!!!

Reaction Score
I was not a fan back then so I have no sense of history, but listening to this back and forth, I can't imagine how big of a celebration and rub it in your face it would be if/when Tenn beats UConn in the NCAA Tournament. UConn beating Tenn won't seem to be as big of a deal to UConn fan, I think. I think a Tenn fan (forgot who) made a statement here a few months ago that Holly Warlick will be the first coach to beat GA in a national championship game. I am going to get my popcorn ready for that day to see all the fireworks! :)

Holly will never win an NCAA championship...... Good person, ineffective coach

Reaction Score
I kind of like it when top teams have not met until the NCAA Tourney. Look at all the hype for last years UC-ND game.

With Summitt having Alzheimer's I kind of understand how an apology wasn't forthcoming when she was in charge. My dad had paranoia as part of his symptoms and no logic or evidence could convince him otherwise. I would suspect that now it would be up to the ADs to play diplomats to try to work out an agreement if both parties really wanted it.

But as I said - personally I would rather wait until and if they meet in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath. On second thought, please do...

Reaction Score
You bring up a couple of good points here, but as for "UConn needs to get over it". it is hard to talk about continuance of what had been a good series..... when TN is still saying "You know what you did!".. what is their ongoing contention..... yes i know what it is but it has been disproven..... and we should , you contend, just say forget about it and go forth? there still is tremendous enmity down there and vulgarity and profanity (check their websites) to describe our coach, I know it is a broken record..... but it is a non issue.... this ongoing discussion is stuck in neutral.....
Can't disagree with a thing you said. My only point -- and what ties these two ideas (TN-CT games and UConn's ability to recruit) together is the fact (and it is a fact) that UConn WBB -- the best program in the last, coached by the best coach in the land -- is in a very disadvantageous position in terms of its league. As a result, UConn may have to do some things it really does not want to do to remain relevant in the long term -- maybe 10 years from now.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
OldAlum said:
I kind of like it when top teams have not met until the NCAA Tourney. Look at all the hype for last years UC-ND game.

With Summitt having Alzheimer's I kind of understand how an apology wasn't forthcoming when she was in charge. My dad had paranoia as part of his symptoms and no logic or evidence could convince him otherwise. I would suspect that now it would be up to the ADs to play diplomats to try to work out an agreement if both parties really wanted it.

But as I said - personally I would rather wait until and if they meet in the NCAAs.

It was the thinking of several of the posters on the board at that time, myself included, that perhaps her illness, unknown at the time, played a part in her behavior when this all went down. That said, since we don't know for sure, I am quite firmly on the side of UConn never playing Tennessee again because of what was said and done by Summit and company...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SemogNayr

Top Bottom