Geno slams door on Tenn game talk | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno slams door on Tenn game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will never understand how we came up with Shea!!!!!! She had attended camp at UT and her mother and Pat were teamates on a national team in the 70s.She was our 1st out of the area recruit.

Reaction Score
Tennessee doesn't need to play UCCONN to make itself relevant, nor does UCONN need Tennessee to add any relevancy. But if Tennessee were to win a game between the two, they would have much more to gain, so I don't blame Geno for not providing them that opportunity.
he has left t
Tennessee doesn't need to play UCCONN to make itself relevant, nor does UCONN need Tennessee to add any relevancy. But if Tennessee were to win a game between the two, they would have much more to gain, so I don't blame Geno for not providing them that opportunity.
He's not denying them; he's left the door open for years. He's just sick of talking about it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I am thrilled with Genos remarks regarding not playing Tenn. The roots of the problem are still there today in Tenn. It is my belief and I have no evidence this is purely speculation and my opinion, that a small group of fans led by some of the mods orchestrated the 37 page violations which was suppose to imo set UConn back with recruiting, with hopes that the NCAA would not allow UConn to play in the NCAA tourney for a couple of years giving Tenn the advantage in recuiting. eliminating UConn in recuiting , and that EDD Caroline Doty and Maya Moore would leave UConn. UConn getting EDD CD and Maya was the writing on the wall that Geno had just stepped ahead of Pat and there was no way Tenn could compete with UConn with those 3 coming to UConn.

The dirt and hatred in those people is still there today. Not all Tenn fans but those who were the root to the problem. I also believe in some way the phone call Geno placed to the girl who pitched in the Little League World Series and the complaint filed had something to do with Tenn. I believe that now because of Genos remarks about playing Tenn again. Geno was angry and not happy. Again I have no information on this but it is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

I dealt with some of those Tenn fans back then. They bragged about something going on and how Geno and UConn would fall. That's what makes me think they were behind the destruction of Geno and UConn. IMO if the UofTenn was behind it the fans wouldn't have any knowledge of it. I also believe the hatred festered in them and they couldn't wait to file the 37 pages which weren't worth much more then a roll of toilet paper. That was most likely what it was used for.

I am glad we will not face Tenn. The thought of what they tried to do to UConn and Geno, past UConn players and their families was so low that it was inamaginalble. Those of you who weren't directly involved with it have no idea what it was like and how embarrassing and humiliating it was. Still to this day I cant believe that any human beings could stoop so low.

Reaction Score
Tennessee's problem in renewing is that a small group of people close to the old Woman's Athletic Dept at Tenn, some of whom dominate the Summitt, have conducted a smear campaign against Geno and the CT program for a long time. They have been active or complicit in spreading vile innuendos and outright lies to the LV fan base for years. Now, faced with talk of a renewal, how can they invite CT to TBA without exposing themselves as liars? Their only option is to tell the fanbase that they have "forgiven" CT for it's transgressions and are giving them another chance. Geno has indicated that he won't renew unless there is an acknowledgement that the attempts at character assassinations that have flowed out of Knoxville for many years were exactly that. Hence the impasse. I think ESPN has been trying to play mediator in this and if the $$$ is right it will happen. This year's NCAA's could break the ice. If the LV's end up in Albany and everyone sees the interest (read TV ratings) it generates, it could end up being next year's Maggie Dixon game at MSG.

Reaction Score
I am thrilled with Genos remarks regarding not playing Tenn. The roots of the problem are still there today in Tenn. It is my belief and I have no evidence this is purely speculation and my opinion, that a small group of fans led by some of the mods orchestrated the 37 page violations which was suppose to imo set UConn back with recruiting, with hopes that the NCAA would not allow UConn to play in the NCAA tourney for a couple of years giving Tenn the advantage in recuiting. eliminating UConn in recuiting , and that EDD Caroline Doty and Maya Moore would leave UConn. UConn getting EDD CD and Maya was the writing on the wall that Geno had just stepped ahead of Pat and there was no way Tenn could compete with UConn with those 3 coming to UConn.

The dirt and hatred in those people is still there today. Not all Tenn fans but those who were the root to the problem. I also believe in some way the phone call Geno placed to the girl who pitched in the Little League World Series and the complaint filed had something to do with Tenn. I believe that now because of Genos remarks about playing Tenn again. Geno was angry and not happy. Again I have no information on this but it is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

I dealt with some of those Tenn fans back then. They bragged about something going on and how Geno and UConn would fall. That's what makes me think they were behind the destruction of Geno and UConn. IMO if the UofTenn was behind it the fans wouldn't have any knowledge of it. I also believe the hatred festered in them and they couldn't wait to file the 37 pages which weren't worth much more then a roll of toilet paper. That was most likely what it was used for.

I am glad we will not face Tenn. The thought of what they tried to do to UConn and Geno, past UConn players and their families was so low that it was inamaginalble. Those of you who weren't directly involved with it have no idea what it was like and how embarrassing and humiliating it was. Still to this day I cant believe that any human beings could stoop so low.
Even today, right now in fact, you can read posters on their boards claiming things about Maya's mother and how she mysteriously got a job and condo in Storrs.

Reaction Score
It is of some comfort to Tennessee, I am sure, that Pat still leads UConn in all time victories and NCAA violations .... In her own definition of the only thing that matters, we lead in NCAA titles, in an era which is far more competitive than the CPS days which included the 70s and 80s...... Geno would have won every year vs. the Immaculata and Old Dominion juggernauts of the WCBB landscape.

Why TENN is so angry with us to this day.... to the point of using profanity to describe our coach to this day, is beyond me. All he is trying to do is win and represent WCBB well

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Even today, right now in fact, you can read posters on their boards claiming things about Maya's mother and how she mysteriously got a job and condo in Storrs.

I'm not familiar with the job and condo stuff. Where did she land a job?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I don't think that the title of this thread correctly renders Geno's comments. He said that he personally didn't care whether the series is renewed, not that he would refuse to renew it. He also said, in the same clip, that "if anyone is trying to renew the series, I wish them all the luck in the world, but ..." he didn't care whether it happened.

As far as the need for an apology is concerned, that is a classical diplomatic issue that can be resolved with a suitable form of words. If the University of Tennessee, through its Athletic Director, were to issue a statement along approximately the following lines ...

The University of Tennessee acknowledges that it does not have any evidence beyond what the NCAA has already reviewed that supports the conclusion that the University of Connecticut WCBB program committed significant recruiting violations in the 2006-2009 period, but respects the right of its Head Coach Emeritus to have formed that opinion ...

... that would probably solve the problem (or at least it should).

Neither school can or should be indifferent to the payday that they would both enjoy if the game were renewed and were broadcast. A way forward can and should be found.

Reaction Score
Why TENN is so angry with us to this day.... to the point of using profanity to describe our coach to this day, is beyond me. All he is trying to do is win and represent WCBB well
Perhaps now that Geno has the highest winning percentage in women's basketball Tennessee's anger will turn into admiration. :)

Reaction Score
No big deal to Holly

"If he doesn't want to play it's absolutely, perfectly fine with me," Warlick said. "I'm not going to beg somebody to play us, especially not UConn."
Holly knows her team would get its you know what kicked in and is quietly thankful Geno is stubborn about not playing them. That would be a game where the starting five log 37 minutes each even if they were up by 30.

JS

Reaction Score
No big deal to Holly

"If he doesn't want to play it's absolutely, perfectly fine with me," Warlick said. "I'm not going to beg somebody to play us, especially not UConn."
The not begging anyone "especially not UConn" is kind of interesting in that it implies resentment of some sort.

But what I got out of the article in terms of hard news, confirming older hard news, is that she's willing to play "if we can work it out,” but “apparently he doesn’t want to work it out . . .”

Moreover, that Pat would be fine with it. So she's basically saying the ball's in Geno's court to show reasonable interest, but he isn't, and so she also has to present a posture of not wanting it overly much.

The resentment, I think, is that he's left her in a delicate position, having gone halfway but being required to stand there while the other side takes a harder line. I think she's handling the quotations exchange as well as she can under the circumstances.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am proud of coach Auriemma for making these comments. The Lady Vols and their higher ups decided to cancel the series over something false. Our program has moved on and developed intense series with Stanford and The Lady Irish over at Notre Dame. If coaches comments keeps us out of the so called P-5 (Power five Conferences) it is a good thing. The American Athletic Conference, in 4-5 years, will be better than any of the so-called P-5 conferences.
No they decided to cancel the series because they saw they weren't going to be able to compete for the foreseeable future. Now the excuse they used, well heck they never came up with one did they? I wouldn't schedule the game.

There was a rumor on the board a while a back that Geno's preconditions are that they admit that their prior accusations (read that as character assassination were false and utterly groundless and then apologize to the players, the university and the state. Now if they met that criteria, I'd give them a shot if a more competitive was not available.

Reaction Score
No they decided to cancel the series because they saw they weren't going to be able to compete for the foreseeable future. Now the excuse they used, well heck they never came up with one did they? I wouldn't schedule the game.

There was a rumor on the board a while a back that Geno's preconditions are that they admit that their prior accusations (read that as character assassination were false and utterly groundless and then apologize to the players, the university and the state. Now if they met that criteria, I'd give them a shot if a more competitive was not available.
Tennessee was so desperate they basically broke out the "your momma" jokes. That needs to be fixed, not to appease Geno's ego, but for the aggrieved third parties.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Holly's worries now are much bigger than thinking about UConn.....
I think this years team has a lot of potential. Especially when Tucker who played last game gets up too full speed. Next year Diamond is a game changer. Also Cooper and Russell. I think the future looks bright.

Reaction Score
I think this years team has a lot of potential. Especially when Tucker who played last game gets up too full speed. Next year Diamond is a game changer. Also Cooper and Russell. I think the future looks bright.

I agree with you wholeheartedly...... and i am anxious to see Tucker..... I know you LV fans are giddy about next year.... are you at all concerned about DeShields becoming the de facto coach..... if I am a LV fan I am worried that the team will still not listen to Holly.... hope also for your sake that Mercedes can run the floor..... and her foot issues are behind her.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I agree with you wholeheartedly. and i am anxious to see Tucker..... I know you LV fans are giddy about next year.... are you at all concerned about DeShields becoming the de facto coach..... if I am a LV fan I am worried that the team will still not listen to Holly.... hope also for your sake that Mercedes can run the floor..... and her foot issues are behind her.
I was glad Tucker got in. The first time in two years she's played. I think she will be eased into the rotation. When she gets more comfortable she will play more. As for Russell if her foot problems are behind her. She can be a real force in the middle. As for Diamond I have not seen anything about her being a distraction. Dean Lockwood commented that she has been a positive addition. He also said the strength coach had nothing but positive things too say about her. Getting in the work she needs too do.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Man, this is like the "annual letter" in the yearly Xmas card: same ol', same ol', just with "2014" at the top.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well, I say just play each other and forget blame and petulance. That is the essence of sport. Competition, rivalry.

That is what the rest of the athletic world does.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Normally I would agree, but what Tennessee did and said was egregious and Geno shouldn't pretend like nothing happened.

I am all for them meeting in the tournament, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom