Geno slams door on Tenn game talk | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno slams door on Tenn game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've written about this before, but I will re-state my position on rivalries, as well as how it relates to UConn-Tennessee now.

There are five potential elements to a rivalry game, and you need at least four of the five to be great:

1. Geographic proximity of the two teams. An in-state rivalry, a border war, or even just close enough regionally like New York and Boston, is a critical element. It fosters arguments at the dinner table, in the office breakroom, at the local bar, etc. It's a rivalry game you grow up with, and you grow up surrounded by it. It's the one element of a great rivalry UConn-Tennessee didn't have.

2. Recurring scarcity. The teams have to play regularly, but just infrequently enough that a loss to the rival team has the fanbase stewing for months. In CFB, you won't play again for a year. In the NFL, the Giants and Jets can't have a real rivalry because they play too infrequently. Conversely, the Yankees and Red Sox play too many times: 18 games a year. UConn-Tennessee was one regular season game a year, with the possibility of a tournament meeting as well. That's frequent enough to fuel the flames, and scarce enough within a season to make it so you can't *wait* for the teams to play again if your team has lost.

3. The history/tradition of the teams involved. This is simple: when there are two great brands pitted against each other, it adds to the excitement in a game. Michigan-Ohio State have that. UConn WBB versus Tennessee WBB? You betcha. I mean, they've only combined for 17 NCs and 33 Final Fours.

4. The history/tradition of the rivalry itself. Texas and Oklahoma have been playing for almost 100 years. Army and Navy have been playing forever. So have Duke and North Carolina. UConn and Tennessee started their rivalry in 1995 and ended it in 2007. In WCBB term, that's actually a pretty damn long time.

5. What's at stake. This is the most critical element. How many times has the winner of the Ohio State-Michigan game gone on to the Rose Bowl (and now, the CFB playoffs)? Meanwhile, Tennessee and UConn have played for all the marbles on four occasions (1995, 2000, 2003, 2004), in the national semis on two occasions (1996, 2002), and in the regional finals on one occasion (1997). Now THAT is a lot on the line, and by adding fuel to the fire, I mean it's pouring gasoline right on it.

In short, UConn-Tennessee was a great rivalry. Even if there wasn't the proximity, there was the Mason-Dixon line aspect that made the rivalry more intense, too.

However, since 2008, Tennessee has not fielded the kinds of teams UConn has. It would have stopped being a competitive game, and very little would have been at stake. UConn, for its part, lost to Tennessee the last three times the teams played, and during those years (2005-2007), they wouldn't didn't meet again in the tournament. They just missed the opportunity in 2008, but from 2009 on, UConn has done its part to advance as far as possible, whereas Tennessee has not. In short, There hasn't been a postseason meeting in 10 seasons and counting.

What I'm saying here is that the hypothetical rivalry is losing the elements of being great, and with each year they don't meet in the tournament, the less interested I am in seeing an annual regular season game renewed.

Reaction Score
I hear what Geno is saying, but anything that can increase our revenue and brand, needs to be considered. If we stay on the current course conference wise and Geno retires, recruiting will suffer. We need to get into a P conference befor the Big a East money runs out.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
No way Holly gets fired after this year. She'll get her shot with Diamond and Mercedes on the floor. I think this year's team has a great deal of potential. We took our lumps with Izzy out at Chatt and Texas, but we're back on track.

The team's biggest issue moving forward is our shooting lack of variety on the offensive end, which falls on Holly. Our defense has been stellar, but she has neglected the offensive end and it's showing in a big way. particularly in our guards' putrid 3 pt percentages, with the exception of Ariel. Now that our defense seems to be clicking, I hope that is addressed or this team, like most of ours in the past few years, will indeed underachieve. Holly will have at least 2 more seasons before it is realistically looked at that she could be let go.
I think Diamond gives that star power. She will be the best player since Parker.
A healthy Russell could also be there as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From the ESPNer's quote : "But I have to be respectful of why the decision was made in the first place." You're kidding!?! Tell us of ESPN staffer, what was the reason that is so deserving of "respect"? Pat poisoned the well and it is still poisoned in the opinion of many, including me.

Reaction Score
Tennessee doesn't need to play UCCONN to make itself relevant, nor does UCONN need Tennessee to add any relevancy. But if Tennessee were to win a game between the two, they would have much more to gain, so I don't blame Geno for not providing them that opportunity.

We don't take escalators, nor do we run away from any game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Lady Vols have been running away from UConn ever since they didn't renew the series. There was nothing improper with Maya's recruitment and Pat had a tantrum and said I'll get even with UConn by not renewing the series. I'm sure she was upset and in her eyes justified in not renewing the series. However I also believe she believed it would hurt Geno and UConn and once and for all eliminate UConn as a yearly contender to win National Championships. It didn't work and now the Lady Vols are the program that need to reinvent themselves to once again become relevant to win National Championships.

Geno is a man and he can take whatever Pat, Tenn Athletic Department and some Lady Vols fans dish out. However what was totally unacceptable in this whole mess was how some Lady Vols fans besmirched Maya and her Mother the whole time she stayed at UConn. There was no effort by the Lady Vols Coaching Staff, Members of the AD and especially the moderators of The Summitt to put a stop to it. I believe that is the apology that Geno is looking for, its not for him.

We don't take escalators, nor do we run away from any game.

Reaction Score
Why play Tennessee? UConn has already scheduled a home and home series beginning next year with the best team in the state, Tenn-Chattanooga.

And by the way, UT should now be reserved for Texas, because Texas is relevant.

Reaction Score
I understand where Geno is coming from but I regret what he said.

I am not ignoring the different type of situation that led to Calhoun's saying he wouldn't ever schedule Boston College again, but I believe the animosity his statements engendered are a contributing factor as to why we were kept out of the ACC.
No.

As discussed elsewhere on the Boneyard, ESPN contributed significantly to the destruction of the Big East. ESPN wanted to sweeten the return of its contract with the ACC and that was a major factor in schools like Syracuse, Pitt and ND jumping ship. The football schools and BC were a major stumbling block to UConn. WBB, and Geno even more so, were relatively inconsequential to the ACC ADs. It's rather disingenuous for ESPN - and a former ACC functionary, quoted by Jacobs - now to profess an interest in "helping" UConn with its schedule.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've written about this before, but I will re-state my position on rivalries, as well as how it relates to UConn-Tennessee now.

"There are five potential elements to a rivalry game, and you need at least four of the five to be great: . . "

I think you're one element short - the coaches involved. On one hand you have the icon for women's basketball and on the other a brash, wise ass, male coach that refused to genuflect whenever she entered the court. Great stories and sound bites there (especially from Auriemma) that helped sell the rivalry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Lady Vols have been running away from UConn ever since they didn't renew the series. There was nothing improper with Maya's recruitment and Pat had a tantrum and said I'll get even with UConn by not renewing the series. I'm sure she was upset and in her eyes justified in not renewing the series. However I also believe she believed it would hurt Geno and UConn and once and for all eliminate UConn as a yearly contender to win National Championships. It didn't work and now the Lady Vols are the program that need to reinvent themselves to once again become relevant to win National Championships.

Geno is a man and he can take whatever Pat, Tenn Athletic Department and some Lady Vols fans dish out. However what was totally unacceptable in this whole mess was how some Lady Vols fans besmirched Maya and her Mother the whole time she stayed at UConn. There was no effort by the Lady Vols Coaching Staff, Members of the AD and especially the moderators of The Summitt to put a stop to it. I believe that is the apology that Geno is looking for, its not for him.

Yes, Amen to this..... Maya was the first big recruit we got out of the South which Pat deemed to be "her" territory..... She could come and get a Holdsclaw out of New York, and countless players from the midwest, but nobody was allowed to come onto her turf and recruit someone..... (By the way, Dangerfield is I think the first player we have gotten from the state of Tennessee, to which most UT fans say "she isn't half as good as Cooper anyway....we chose who we wanted" We will see)

You know what is funny to me..... Pat is so revered in TN that people follow her blindly..... if you asked the average Tenn fan about Maya and the 11 complaints to the NCAA, which were deemed to be false accusations...... he/she would tell you "Oh, you know what you did"... ala Pat ..... I would love to talk to any TN fan and stick to the facts in the case..... but most of them are like the elephant being led around the ring in the circus.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes, Amen to this..... Maya was the first big recruit we got out of the South which Pat deemed to be "her" territory..... She could come and get a Holdsclaw out of New York, and countless players from the midwest, but nobody was allowed to come onto her turf and recruit someone..... (By the way, Dangerfield is I think the first player we have gotten from the state of Tennessee, to which most UT fans say "she isn't half as good as Cooper anyway....we chose who we wanted" We will see)

You know what is funny to me..... Pat is so revered in TN that people follow her blindly..... if you asked the average Tenn fan about Maya and the 11 complaints to the NCAA, which were deemed to be false accusations. he/she would tell you "Oh, you know what you did"... ala Pat ..... I would love to talk to any TN fan and stick to the facts in the case..... but most of them are like the elephant being led around the ring in the circus.

Is the opinion of Geno by many UCONN fans any different? I know I think the world of Dawn Staley.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
No.

As discussed elsewhere on the Boneyard, ESPN contributed significantly to the destruction of the Big East. ESPN wanted to sweeten the return of its contract with the ACC and that was a major factor in schools like Syracuse, Pitt and ND jumping ship. The football schools and BC were a major stumbling block to UConn. WBB, and Geno even more so, were relatively inconsequential to the ACC ADs. It's rather disingenuous for ESPN - and a former ACC functionary, quoted by Jacobs - now to profess an interest in "helping" UConn with its schedule.
Well, ESPN does have an interest in both of the UConn BB teams' schedules at least this year and likely into the future simply because they're the champs. Kind of crimps their content if the champs aren't a featured part of their coverage and they make the standard bows to a champion's aura, and I'm sure they much enjoy the lingering controversy and bad feelings between UConn and the NCAA and will continue to pull out the Bazz comments in front of Enenaemmert this year. ESPN loves to play many sides, and the story of the triumphant non-P5 underdog school also works for them, even if almost all their marbles are on the other side.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Is the opinion of Geno by many UCONN fans any different? I know I think the world of Dawn Staley.
Um, you haven't posted here enough if you think UConn fans follow Geno blindly, as there has been a lot of discussions and a fair amount negative about some of the things he's said. UTenn fans may not have always agreed with Summitt's strategies, but even when she threw her team under the tourney-loss bus they agreed with her, and they would have believed her if she told them that the world was as flat as her clipboards. Actually, down there they probably believe in the flat-world theory anyway.

Reaction Score
Pat is not in the equation. She has told Holly that she is OK with renewing the rivalry with Connecticut if that is what Holly wants. However, after Geno's recent comments, that is not going to happen any time soon--at least during the regular season. Right now, Holly is not on thin ice. Over 13,000 fans saw UT soundly defeat Stanford. And in the next month or so we will play Oregon State, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Georgia, and Notre Dame. Let's see how those games turn out before writing Holly's obituary. LOL

JS

Reaction Score
However I also believe she believed it would hurt Geno and UConn and once and for all eliminate UConn as a yearly contender to win National Championships. It didn't work
Agree. The image in my mind has always been this:

di%202%20top%20of%20world.jpg

Pat stands alone atop the . . . ah, summit of WCBB, enjoying the view, the adulation for being the sport's greatest climber. The best ever. Unchallenged, except . . . what's this?

Here comes somebody else. He's climbing faster than she did, looking up and grinning at her. Nearing the top he calls out "Took you long enough! Make room!"

Jealous of her stature, she fails to find camaraderie much less any humor in the situation. As he grasps the final rock to haul himself up, she steps on his fingers.

But he makes it up anyway and, after looking at her kind of funny, says "You know, I bet we could climb to higher places than this little hill."

"If you'll excuse me," she says, "I have to go file a report with the Climbing Association. I just know you cheated with a helicopter to get part of the way up here."

And the rest is history.

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I would love to see them in the tournament with something actually on the line.

Reaction Score

The best way I can think of answering this is..... and I say this honestly..... Yes, I love all things Geno..... but if he had sent the NCAA 11 grievances the kind of which Pat sent, then I would separate that gesture, and flatly refuse to go along with it..... It is that degree of departure from the moral platitude Pat has always seen herself on..... Often facts get in the way of opinions.

For the record, I am a fan of Pat's history, even the Tenn. program and what it has accomplished..... I just have a lot of enmity for what she pulled (or tried to pull) with the NCAA.....

Reaction Score
Pat is not in the equation. She has told Holly that she is OK with renewing the rivalry with Connecticut if that is what Holly wants. However, after Geno's recent comments, that is not going to happen any time soon--at least during the regular season. Right now, Holly is not on thin ice. Over 13,000 fans saw UT soundly defeat Stanford. And in the next month or so we will play Oregon State, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Georgia, and Notre Dame. Let's see how those games turn out before writing Holly's obituary. LOL

Just my opinion, but I think Pat's aura looms large in this matter, even though I know Holly and Geno have volleyed thoughts back and forth, albeit briefly..... which lends credence perhaps to what you say......

I root for Holly, though I do not have a lot of faith in her position as a leader or coach. She seems well intentioned, and a great person.... and loyal through and through to the orange......

Your fan base is great... and your schedule is good as well..... Best of luck the remainder of the year.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned anyone in the Tennessee program other than the players that dates from the Summitt regime is complicit in the attempt to cripple the UCONN program. UCONN should do nothing to benefit the Tennessee program.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why play Tennessee? UConn has already scheduled a home and home series beginning next year with the best team in the state, Tenn-Chattanooga.

And by the way, UT should now be reserved for Texas, because Texas is relevant.
Zing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle