Geno slams door on Tenn game talk | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Geno slams door on Tenn game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had not reached puberty then, so I have no sense of history, but listening to this back and forth, I can't imagine how big of a celebration and rub it in your face it would be if/when I seduce Kate Hudson at my Senior Prom. My seducing Kate Hudson won't seem as big a deal to her as it will to me, I think. I think a high-school bandmate made a statement here a few months ago that I'd be the first high-school guy to seduce her at prom. I am going to get my popcorn ready for that day to see all the fireworks.

Only slightly more unrealistic.
Lol- Post of the day.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine that Tennessee will ever apologize, at least not in a truly open way. And that got me to thinking - this most certainly can't be the only example of one school unfairly disparaging another program.

My question: Is anyone aware of any instance where a college program apologized to another for unfair accusations, or any other cause?

I seem to recall that following CViv's intemperate postgame remarks in the wake of "Cappiegate", the
Rutgers AD (who may have put CViv up to it in the first place) issued a sort of public apology.

If CViv ever apologized to Geno, she must have done so privately.

Reaction Score
Well, let's put it this way: To my way of thinking, there's no doubt that the first "for the good of the game" conversation should happen between ESPN and TN officials, because no matter how accommodating I would be willing to be, the offense still was theirs. Under the circumstances, maybe it would be possible to broker some kind of TN statement that would acknowledge the situation and let everyone move on. If Tennessee is unwilling to budge -- even about issuing a statement as opposed to an apology -- maybe y'all are right and it's not reasonable to expect Geno to budge from his position that only an apology will do.

For the record: I was around when all the conflict happened, and I was as furious as anyone else here abut the Tennessee sleaze.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
As near as I can determine, I am the only outlier on this "topic" here at The BoneYard. I want TN scheduled ASAP.

Go figure...

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Why is UConn-Tennessee "good for the game?" OK so Tennessee was good like a million years ago, but so wasn't Old Dominion, LA Tech, and a few others, but no one is begging for us to play them.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Why is UConn-Tennessee "good for the game?" OK so Tennessee was good like a million years ago, but so wasn't Old Dominion, LA Tech, and a few others, but no one is begging for us to play them.

and Immaculata and Delta State !!! :)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
and Immaculata and Delta State !!! :)
Ooooh, Delta State? You are really dating yourself there. But they got a hit song written about them, didn't they? Something like "Delta State, what's that title you've got on? Could it be an AIAW from '77?"

Actually the Fighting Okra (yes, that is Delta State's nickname, and don't ask), did win a basketball NC as recently as 2004, but it was in D2 and was for the guys. And if you want to see what a Fighting Okra looks like . . . . .

a96800_a499_okras.jpg

Maybe UConn should trade in Jonathan for this hot number mascot.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:
Not a fair analogy. Tennessee started contending for AIAW championships in the late 1970s. In the succeeding three decades, Tennessee was the #2 program of the 1980s, the #1 program of the 1990s, and the #2 program of the '00s. No program has come close to being even a top #5 team for three straight decades. By the way, I have Tennessee as the #5 program of the 2010s. Meanwhile, the closest anyone else has come is Georgia, which was a top 15 program in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. UConn, the #3 program of the 90s, the #1 program of the 00s, and the leader in the clubhouse by a large margin in this decade, will be the first program to match Tennessee 's feat.

My point is that the level of success and tradition the LVs have established is leaps and bounds ahead of La Tech or ODU. UConn and Tennessee, when pitted together, do bring more tradition and brand equity to the table then any other hypothetical matchup.

Reaction Score
Ooooh, Delta State? You are really dating yourself there. But they got a hit song written about them, didn't they? Something like "Delta State, what's that title you've got on? Could it be an AIAW from '77?"

Actually the Fighting Okra (yes, that is Delta State's nickname, and don't ask), did win a basketball NC as recently as 2004, but it was in D2 and was for the guys. And if you want to see what a Fighting Okra looks like . . . . .

a96800_a499_okras.jpg

Maybe UConn should trade in Jonathan for this hot number mascot.

Yes I think it was a hit for Helen Reddy..... :) and yes they won 3 in a row in the late 70s...... The Fightin' Okras... I love it!!!

Reaction Score
Not a fair analogy. Tennessee started contending for AIAW championships in the late 1970s. In the succeeding three decades, Tennessee was the #2 program of the 1980s, the #1 program of the 1990s, and the #2 program of the '00s. No program has come close to being even a top #5 team for three straight decades. By the way, I have Tennessee as the #5 program of the 2010s. Meanwhile, the closest anyone else has come is Georgia, which was a top 15 program in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. UConn, the #3 program of the 90s, the #1 program of the 00s, and the leader in the clubhouse by a large margin in this decade, will be the first program to match Tennessee 's feat.

My point is that the level of success and tradition the LVs have established is leaps and bounds ahead of La Tech or ODU. UConn and Tennessee, when pitted together, do bring more tradition and brand equity to the table then any other hypothetical matchup.

With all due respect to TN, if you are #5 in WCBB, you may as well be #15, 20, or 25.... As witness or evidence, look at their recent victories over Rutgers, Stanford, and Oregon State..... all top 20 teams...... but didn't hear much fanfare about these victories outside Knoxville

Reaction Score

I don't disagree, but the fact of the matter is if Tennessee doesn't start hanging banners again in the next 2-3 years, there will not be a single recruit alive that remembers them being anything more than a team that occasionally makes a little noise in the tourney every now and again but never wins anything. In other words, they will be no more special than say Louisville which has gotten to the final game two more times than Tennessee in the last five years. Tennessee is slowly being eradicated from the record books as UConn continues its success. UConn-Tennessee isn't even that interesting of a game anymore. Again, the recruits now don't even remember those match ups, and they couldn't care less about them. If UConn-Tennessee were to happen, it would look a lot like a UConn-UNC game. I think some of the older folks are just nostalgic over that time when UConn was just beginning its meteoric rise 15-20 years ago and some of those games were electric because of the newness of it all.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
As near as I can determine, I am the only outlier on this "topic" here at The BoneYard. I want TN scheduled ASAP.

Go figure...
Well at least ESPN knows there will be one person in the audience.

And as to UTenn being rated in the top 5 of WCBB teams in the 2010s, really? A team that has not made a Final Four since 2008? A team that was bounced out in the first round in 2009? Nine different teams have at least made it to a Final Four once during the 2010s, but UTenn rates as a Top 5 program that UConn should be hot to play?

I guess we all have different standards for a top team nowadays.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Bayareahusky said:
With all due respect to TN, if you are #5 in WCBB, you may as well be #15, 20, or 25.... As witness or evidence, look at their recent victories over Rutgers, Stanford, and Oregon State..... all top 20 teams. but didn't hear much fanfare about these victories outside Knoxville
being the #5 team in the country isn't remotely like being ODU or La Tech in recent years. No, the LVs haven't been to a Final Four since 2008, but they do consistently get to be top two seeds in the tourney and at least make the Sweet 16 (except 2009, infamously). Being at least pretty good year over year is better than being #15-#25.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Bayareahusky said:
With all due respect to TN, if you are #5 in WCBB, you may as well be #15, 20, or 25.... As witness or evidence, look at their recent victories over Rutgers, Stanford, and Oregon State..... all top 20 teams. but didn't hear much fanfare about these victories outside Knoxville
being the #5 team in the country isn't remotely like being ODU or La Tech in recent years. No, the LVs haven't been to a Final Four since 2008, but they do consistently get to be top two seeds in the tourney and at least make the Sweet 16 (except 2009, infamously). Being at least pretty good year over year is better than being #15-#25.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ozzie Nelson said:

Go figure...

No, you aren't.

Reaction Score
Guys, Diamond is going to return the team to prominence. Just like Russell did. And Massengale. And Simmons. JUST WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR!!!
They still get good recruits. The problem is so do a lot of other schools as WCBB isn't just a two horse race anymore.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
His quotes, to me, scream that he knows that Tennessee squealed about Mo'ne Davis.

Reaction Score
The "aura" around the UCONN-Tenn was mainly due to Geno and Pat....Pat is no longer the head coach of the Lady Vols so I dont even think the game will have the same "feel" as it once had. Then, UCONN and Tenn were both at the top of their games....with the way things have gone in Vol country since 2008 I just dont see the same "excitement" the series would create now, that it once did.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Maybe being "pretty good" makes you a #5 nowadays, though some of us would say ugly good.

During the 2010s
1. UConn -- 3 NCs and 2 FFs
2. ND -- 4 FFs and 3 times in NC game appearances
3. Stanford -- 3 FFs and 2 NC games appearances
4. Baylor -- 1 NC and 1 other FF
5. Texas A&M -- 1 NC
6. Louisville -- 1 NC appearance and also another on that 2009 border year
And even Oklahoma got to an FF in 2010 following on one in 2009

So there are teams to grade on recent Tournament accomplishments, and there are others who do get some high seeds and then underachieve like UTenn (2010: #1 and S16 - minus 2, 2011: #1 and E8 - minus, 2012: #2 and E8 - even, 2013: #2 and E8 - even, 2014: #1 and S16 - minus 2). And again, we know about that 2009 fiasco.

So a team that not once has gotten to the FF, that has never overachieved and has usually underachieved in the Tourney during the 2010s is touted as a #5 team of the 2010s. Well, I guess we should all tip our hats to the selection committee for boosting UTenn's stature and ignore the performance in March and April.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes I think it was a hit for Helen Reddy..... :) and yes they won 3 in a row in the late 70s. The Fightin' Okras... I love it!!!

They really should call them the stewed okras.

Edit: Can anyone think of another school with produce as a mascot? I guess the Orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom