Geno slams door on Tenn game talk | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Geno slams door on Tenn game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
People are criticizing the innuendo, not asking for a demonstration of it.

You are so friggin' smart JS. I was trying to say that ... too many words. Just great.

Last edited:

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
KQUOTE="DobbsRover2, post: 1178799, member: 807"]I'm assuming that if PHS had ever said something like that: 1. It would have been big news and many articles would have been written about it. 2. The subject would have been endlessly discussed on the Summitt and VolNation. 3. It would have gotten some attention on the BY.

The closest any accounts have that PHS has given up on her opposition to the series is that she and Geno have shaken hands and said a few complimentary things about each other in recent years, but the impetus for that was the reaction to news about PHS's Alzheimer's. Additionally, there were some thoughts going around two years ago that a UConn-UTenn game to benefit Alzheimer's research and other charities could be a way to get the teams back together. But the key to unlock the door is still that apology for UTenn's behavior and PHS's public attacks on Geno's integrity around the time that Vol football coach Bruce Pearl was being dumped for scandalous recruitment violations. PHS said she had no problem with what Pearl did (which was very bad) but that she did with Geno's actions, so that painted UConn very very bad since she was saying a Husky WCBB coach was worse than a totally unethical UTenn football coach.

No apology, no resumption of series, and no he's not just "getting over it."[/QUOTE]

Coach summit never said she had no problem with what pearl did. Where did you get that from? I find this notion that Tennessee or CPS should apologize about a UConn recruiting violation laughable. If anyone should apologize it should be geno and his endless quips and jabs at CPS and the Tennessee Lady vol program for many years. The bottom line is something happened with the recruitment of Moore by cause coach summit to take the unprecedented move to cancel the series between the two schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The complaint by what's her name at UTENN, when it wasn't substantiated, left an awful taste in my mouth. Until that time I was an admirer of the program...afterward, I just consider them an embarassment. In fact, it is one of the reasons that Muffet McGraw's comments at the Final Four last year about the loss of class at the top of the women's game were so completely classless and profoundly tone-deaf. I'm surprised that Geno is as self-controlled as he's been. In his shoes, I'd have given both women something to complain about. End of rant...but without an apology the offensive behavior continues...forgiveness and forgetfulness begins when it stops...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
KQUOTE="DobbsRover2, post: 1178799, member: 807"]I'm assuming that if PHS had ever said something like that: 1. It would have been big news and many articles would have been written about it. 2. The subject would have been endlessly discussed on the Summitt and VolNation. 3. It would have gotten some attention on the BY.

The closest any accounts have that PHS has given up on her opposition to the series is that she and Geno have shaken hands and said a few complimentary things about each other in recent years, but the impetus for that was the reaction to news about PHS's Alzheimer's. Additionally, there were some thoughts going around two years ago that a UConn-UTenn game to benefit Alzheimer's research and other charities could be a way to get the teams back together. But the key to unlock the door is still that apology for UTenn's behavior and PHS's public attacks on Geno's integrity around the time that Vol football coach Bruce Pearl was being dumped for scandalous recruitment violations. PHS said she had no problem with what Pearl did (which was very bad) but that she did with Geno's actions, so that painted UConn very very bad since she was saying a Husky WCBB coach was worse than a totally unethical UTenn football coach.

No apology, no resumption of series, and no he's not just "getting over it."

Coach summit never said she had no problem with what pearl did. Where did you get that from? I find this notion that Tennessee or CPS should apologize about a UConn recruiting violation laughable. If anyone should apologize it should be geno and his endless quips and jabs at CPS and the Tennessee Lady vol program for many years. The bottom line is something happened with the recruitment of Moore by cause coach summit to take the unprecedented move to cancel the series between the two schools.[/QUOTE]

Well, congrats, you finally screwed the pooch Box..cool...whatever. What she said was in answer to a question about Bruce Pearl's cheating that her answer was not about Pearl, who she would not have fired, but Geno. Slanderous nonsense that neither she, the SEC or you can back up. Happy New Year fakeur.

PS. None of the widely talked about stuff about Pearl and Summit has ever graced our board and never will, though you folks know full well about all of that dirty laundry.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Coach summit never said she had no problem with what pearl did. Where did you get that from? I find this notion that Tennessee or CPS should apologize about a UConn recruiting violation laughable. If anyone should apologize it should be geno and his endless quips and jabs at CPS and the Tennessee Lady vol program for many years. The bottom line is something happened with the recruitment of Moore by cause coach summit to take the unprecedented move to cancel the series between the two schools.
Please tell me you are joking? Please!!! You must be, to post something so uninformed, but it's not surprising coming from the vol nation. Your entire post is a complete mess of incorrect facts which I'm going to help you out with.

Let me address your incorrect comments regarding Pearl. Here's the article. Pat Summit's words fuel fire. Technically you are correct that Summit never directly "said she had no problem with what Pearl did". However, she very clearly supported him. Here are some snippets from the article and her quotes exactly:

At SEC media day in Birmingham, Ala., Summitt was asked a general question about recruiting and ethics, and she responded, "I've never compromised at all, and I wouldn't. And if I did, they should fire me."

Many thought she was talking about Pearl and his huge scandal, but au contrere. In an attempt to clear up matters, Summitt spoke with Jimmy Hyams of radio station WNML, explaining that she was very supportive of Pearl, that they were good friends, and that she did not intend her comment to impugn him. She said she wasn't even thinking of men's basketball when she made the remark.

Really? She didn't mean to impugn Pearl? In her own words, they are good friends and she was very supportive of him. Ok that's a direct contradiction to your comments, but wait! There's more!

The real problem, though, came with another remark she made to Hyams: "I didn't have Bruce Pearl on my mind. I probably had Connecticut on my mind. There's a reason we don't play them." Yep! She actually said that.

The article goes on to say "In the spring of 2008, ESPN reporter Shelley Smith obtained, through a public records request, a letter that Tennessee had sent to the SEC in 2006 detailing concerns over potential recruiting violations by UConn. Among them was an arranged tour at ESPN headquarters for Moore -- now a UConn senior -- which the NCAA subsequently deemed a secondary violation by the Huskies. Nothing else has come from these allegations in terms of NCAA validation or a penalty.

This info that Shelly Smith obtained access to was mentioned by TonyC and myself in this very thread - it was a 37 page complaint (or maybe 34 pages I forget the exact number) that went on and on with alleged recruiting violations that ALSO dragged the Boneyard into it, specifically a poster still on our board (and I believe it also mentioned violations of hand made signs given to recruits by another poster on the BY). And that was just a small part of it. It was a concerted effort by Tennessee and Pat Summitt to take down Geno and UCONN and it blew up in her face.

So I addressed your Pearl comments. I addressed the humorous comment you made about Pat or Tennessee "needing to apologize" (because we know what they did was despicable). As for the "something happened with the recruitment of Maya Moore", well that "something" is the fact that she chose UCONN. End of story. If you think Geno did anything nefarious, I'd love to hear you verbalize it because I guarantee you it's fabricated. Oh, I know what Tennessee fans think he did. Geno simply does not work that way. He doesn't need to. He gets the best recruits because he is the best.

But as another poster said, if you tell a lie over and over and over and over again, eventually, thru osmosis, people will believe it's true. Sadly, believing lies is not the same as having facts. Oh, and another factoid - Pat was cited for more recruiting violations than Geno. File that under "things that make you go hmmm"...

So if you are going to come onto our board all high and mighty, at least get your facts straight.

Lastly, if you really think Geno needs to apologize to Pat for the "endless quips and jabs at CPS and the LV program", then get in line. Geno has a sarcastic dry sense of humor. He's been that way probably since birth. Just ask Duke fans. Know what he told Rebecca Lobo and Kara Wolters EVERY SINGLE DAY? That they were the worst post players in America. And he told them that for 4 years until after they graduated, then they walked on water. That's 10 times worse than anything he ever said in with his dry, Philly humor about Pat. So my answer to that is "get over it." He never stooped to the level that Pat did and to even compare the two situations (what Pat did and what Geno did) is insanity.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Please tell me you are joking? Please!!! You must be, to post something so uninformed, but it's not surprising coming from the vol nation. Your entire post is a complete mess of incorrect facts which I'm going to help you out with.

Let me address your incorrect comments regarding Pearl. Here's the article. Pat Summit's words fuel fire. Technically you are correct that Summit never directly "said she had no problem with what Pearl did". However, she very clearly supported him. Here are some snippets from the article and her quotes exactly:

At SEC media day in Birmingham, Ala., Summitt was asked a general question about recruiting and ethics, and she responded, "I've never compromised at all, and I wouldn't. And if I did, they should fire me."

Many thought she was talking about Pearl and his huge scandal, but au contrere. In an attempt to clear up matters, Summitt spoke with Jimmy Hyams of radio station WNML, explaining that she was very supportive of Pearl, that they were good friends, and that she did not intend her comment to impugn him. She said she wasn't even thinking of men's basketball when she made the remark.

Really? She didn't mean to impugn Pearl? In her own words, they are good friends and she was very supportive of him. Ok that's a direct contradiction to your comments, but wait! There's more!

The real problem, though, came with another remark she made to Hyams: "I didn't have Bruce Pearl on my mind. I probably had Connecticut on my mind. There's a reason we don't play them." Yep! She actually said that.

The article goes on to say "In the spring of 2008, ESPN reporter Shelley Smith obtained, through a public records request, a letter that Tennessee had sent to the SEC in 2006 detailing concerns over potential recruiting violations by UConn. Among them was an arranged tour at ESPN headquarters for Moore -- now a UConn senior -- which the NCAA subsequently deemed a secondary violation by the Huskies. Nothing else has come from these allegations in terms of NCAA validation or a penalty.

This info that Shelly Smith obtained access to was mentioned by TonyC and myself in this very thread - it was a 37 page complaint (or maybe 34 pages I forget the exact number) that went on and on with alleged recruiting violations that ALSO dragged the Boneyard into it, specifically a poster still on our board (and I believe it also mentioned violations of hand made signs given to recruits by another poster on the BY). And that was just a small part of it. It was a concerted effort by Tennessee and Pat Summitt to take down Geno and UCONN and it blew up in her face.

So I addressed your Pearl comments. I addressed the humorous comment you made about Pat or Tennessee "needing to apologize" (because we know what they did was despicable). As for the "something happened with the recruitment of Maya Moore", well that "something" is the fact that she chose UCONN. End of story. If you think Geno did anything nefarious, I'd love to hear you verbalize it because I guarantee you it's fabricated. Oh, I know what Tennessee fans think he did. Geno simply does not work that way. He doesn't need to. He gets the best recruits because he is the best.

But as another poster said, if you tell a lie over and over and over and over again, eventually, thru osmosis, people will believe it's true. Sadly, believing lies is not the same as having facts. Oh, and another factoid - Pat was cited for more recruiting violations than Geno. File that under "things that make you go hmmm"...

So if you are going to come onto our board all high and mighty, at least get your facts straight.

Lastly, if you really think Geno needs to apologize to Pat for the "endless quips and jabs at CPS and the LV program", then get in line. Geno has a sarcastic dry sense of humor. He's been that way probably since birth. Just ask Duke fans. Know what he told Rebecca Lobo and Kara Wolters EVERY SINGLE DAY? That they were the worst post players in America. And he told them that for 4 years until after they graduated, then they walked on water. That's 10 times worse than anything he ever said in with his dry, Philly humor about Pat. So my answer to that is "get over it." He never stooped to the level that Pat did and to even compare the two situations (what Pat did and what Geno did) is insanity.

+3 or 4 or 5. Can we pin this to the top of the board under the heading: Tenn Fans Must Read Before Posting.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Sc

Well, congrats, you finally screwed the pooch Box..cool...whatever. What she said was in answer to a question about Bruce Pearl's cheating that her answer was not about Pearl, who she would not have fired, but Geno. Slanderous nonsense that neither she, the SEC or you can back up. Happy New Year fakeur.

PS. None of the widely talked about stuff about Pearl and Summit has ever graced our board and never will, though you folks know full well about all of that dirty laundry.[/QUOTE]

Screwed the pooch eh?? Clever. The Tennessee men's basketball team and pearl has nothing at all to do with the fued between

This thread is full of so many untruths and lies that I don't even know where to begin. there's so much spin going on here, even bill oreilly would be blushing. I find it in such bad taste to continue to drag coach pat summits name through the mud knowing what she is dealing with. you just admitted yourself that I was correct in saying that coach summit never said such things that have been advocated on this thread as truth. Coach summit did stand by pearl because guess what?? At that time the allegations against pearl were just that, allegations.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
What both programs should do is bury the hatchet and move on. Mistakes have been made by both programs and it's probably best to just leave it be. Even it means the two programs never play another regular season game, which is unlikely anyway

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sc

PS. None of the widely talked about stuff about Pearl and Summit has ever graced our board and never will, though you folks know full well about all of that dirty laundry.

Screwed the pooch eh?? Clever. The Tennessee men's basketball team and pearl has nothing at all to do with the fued between

This thread is full of so many untruths and lies that I don't even know where to begin. there's so much spin going on here, even bill oreilly would be blushing. I find it in such bad taste to continue to drag coach pat summits name through the mud knowing what she is dealing with. you just admitted yourself that I was correct in saying that coach summit never said such things that have been advocated on this thread as truth. Coach summit did stand by pearl because guess what?? At that time the allegations against pearl were just that, allegations.[/QUOTE]

Dissembling nonsense. What you have resorted to now is what was called in a different century: Waving the bloody shirt. Now I wish you the curse of the Boneyard: Thanks for your interest in UConn Husky basketball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What both programs should do is bury the hatchet and move on. Mistakes have been made by both programs and it's probably best to just leave it be. Even it means the two programs never play another regular season game, which is unlikely anyway

Sorry, Boxer, UConn made no mistakes. Save that fiction for Tenn boards.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This thread is full of so many untruths and lies that I don't even know where to begin. there's so much spin going on here, even bill oreilly would be blushing. I find it in such bad taste to continue to drag coach pat summits name through the mud knowing what she is dealing with. you just admitted yourself that I was correct in saying that coach summit never said such things that have been advocated on this thread as truth. Coach summit did stand by pearl because guess what?? At that time the allegations against pearl were just that, allegations.
You know, I don't even know where to begin. MY post was full of untruths and lies? Do you even know how to read English because I basically linked an article with direct quotes from Pat. She flat out said that she was very supportive of Pearl, that they were good friends, and that she did not intend her comment to impugn him.

How on earth are these 2 comments different?
  1. I had no problem with what Bruce Pearl did
  2. I am very supportive of Pearl, we are good friends, and did not intend her comment to impugn him. In fact, I was not even referring to him, I was referring to Connecticut
Now come on. Even a 2nd grade English student can tell you the 2 comments are essentially the same. Stop living in fantasy land.

As for the rest of my post, all facts. Stop perpetuating fantasy. Go sell that crazy on your board because no one buys it here. You accuse me of posting lies and untruths, then you better back it up. And you can't so knock it off.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I do agree with one thing - the programs will never play again unless it's in the NCAA's. But yet again, you continue to perpetuate the myth that somehow Geno's quips and tweaks and poking fun at Pat even comes close to her trying to take him and UCONN down with her 30+ page humiliating disaster. Not even in the same galaxy.

Oh wait - I forgot about the "mysterious super secret" thing that Geno did that caused the kerfuffle in the first place. And yet all Pat's 30+ page complaint could come up with was the ESPN tour secondary violation. And Pat still has more recruiting violations that Geno.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Sorry, Boxer, UConn made no mistakes. Save that fiction for Tenn boards.
You know, I don't even know where to begin. MY post was full of untruths and lies? Do you even know how to read English because I basically linked an article with direct quotes from Pat. She flat out said that she was very supportive of Pearl, that they were good friends, and that she did not intend her comment to impugn him.

How on earth are these 2 comments different?
  1. I had no problem with what Bruce Pearl did
  2. I am very supportive of Pearl, we are good friends, and did not intend her comment to impugn him. In fact, I was not even referring to him, I was referring to Connecticut
Now come on. Even a 2nd grade English student can tell you the 2 comments are essentially the same. Stop living in fantasy land.

As for the rest of my post, all facts. Stop perpetuating fantasy. Go sell that crazy on your board because no one buys it here.

You obviously can't read English well because I said the thread itself is full of lies and untruths, not your particular posts. And lol @ those two comments being the same. Are you even actually being serious?? Summit's comments about pearl came long before the NCAA violations were levied against him. To suggest coach summit, who clearly is recognized as being one of the most principled women in wcbb, advocated or supported any kind of cheating is just idiotic.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You obviously can't read English well because I said the thread itself is full of lies and untruths, not your particular posts. And lol @ those two comments being the same. Are you even actually being serious?? Summit's comments about pearl came long before the NCAA violations were levied against him. To suggest coach summit, who clearly is recognized as being one of the most principled women in wcbb, advocated or supported any kind of cheating is just idiotic.
Wrong wrong wrong. Go read the article from ESPN that I linked. Good grief you are so far off base it's comical, and you continue to argue the same incorrect and illogical points. It's like arguing with a crazy person, I guess. There's no getting thru to them no matter what logic you put in front of them. I strongly suggest you take a hiatus from the board - maybe it will be good for you. But please stop humiliating yourself. It's not becoming at all.

And by the way, very poor taste to use Pat's illness as a reason to not hold her accountable for what she did back in 2008. That's shameful. But this is still your best line. Classic! " I find this notion that Tennessee or CPS should apologize about a UConn recruiting violation laughable. If anyone should apologize it should be geno and his endless quips and jabs at CPS and the Tennessee Lady vol program for many years."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Sorry Boxer, but you lie- er lay or maybe rest-with the fishes now. Dissembling nonsense never works here. Thank you for yyour interest in UConn Husky basketball.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Wrong wrong wrong. Go read the article from ESPN that I linked. Good grief you are so far off base it's comical, and you continue to argue the same incorrect and illogical points. It's like arguing with a crazy person, I guess. There's no getting thru to them no matter what logic you put in front of them. I strongly suggest you take a hiatus from the board - maybe it will be good for you. But please stop humiliating yourself. It's not becoming at all.

And by the way, very poor taste to use Pat's illness as a reason to not hold her accountable for what she did back in 2008. That's shameful. But this is still your best line. Classic! " I find this notion that Tennessee or CPS should apologize about a UConn recruiting violation laughable. If anyone should apologize it should be geno and his endless quips and jabs at CPS and the Tennessee Lady vol program for many years."

To suggest coach summit advocates cheating by other coaches is a pretty outrageous thing to say anyhow and no one outside a few disgruntled uconn fans believe that nonsense anyway. Do I honestly believe geno or the university conspired to somehow funnel money to Maya's mom?? No!! I'm sure in the end maya wanted to come to uconn and that what was in her heart. However, the point of my posts was to correct the crazy notion that summit advocates cheating!! Nonsense!! Also, summit shouldn't have to apologize for the recruiting violation committed by uconn, even it was a minor one. That's just ludicrous.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Sorry Boxer, but you lie- er lay or maybe rest-with the fishes now. Dissembling nonsense never works here. Thank you for yyour interest in UConn Husky basketball.

Well rocky I invite you and Eric over to vol nation and join the forums. The first part of your name is spot on ;). I enjoy watching husky basketball. Say what you will about geno, but he always gets the most out of his players

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Meh. We're not going to start the new year rolling around in the gutter. Time for Biff to "slam the door on Tenn game talk". For now anyway.
Happy new year to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc