Final Number One Seed | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Final Number One Seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
After watching Louisville today I want to petition for Baylor as a 1 or 2 seed at Louisville. USF is listed as last out of the tourney and Louisville beat them by 4. Lame.

Too funny. Demons to exorcise?

Reaction Score
The most important thing for the committee should be to present possible great matchups, its the people watching on TV that will make the Women's games relevant, not how many fans at the tournament sites. If you give them great matchups, people will go to the games, but you need to sell the casual fans on how good the women are.

Reaction Score
Said it before Baylor 1 seed at Stanford 2 seed, Tennessee 1 seed at Louisville 2 seed, Notre Dame 1 seed with West Virginia 2 seed, UConn 1 seed in Lincoln with either Duke or Kentucky as 2 seed.

You forgot South Carolina. Where do you put them?

Reaction Score
As someone pointed out in another thread, even if Stanford doesn't get a 1 seed,
they'll still be a 2 at home playing a collection of teams only marginally more
difficult than the 1 seed will play.

As a 2, their road to the final four would not be much tougher than if they were
a 1.

ding, ding, ding. that is the correct answer. There is no difference between 1 or 2. Playing at home is more important, and being healthy.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Except for the Two at the Top, I don't remember ever seeing this much parity in wcbb. In any given game, anyone can look terrible.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Except for the Two at the Top, I don't remember ever seeing this much parity in wcbb. In any given game, anyone can look terrible.

Or as an optimist might say, "look great" in any given game. Since Baylor is not top 2, I'll go with "look great."

Reaction Score
What conference title did Louisville win this season?
Well, take in myriad of losses that Tennessee had including at home and to whom? Some of their losses were horrific. I think a bad loss, particularly at home, takes away at least two or three quality wins. Meanwhile, Louisville did not! They played the Huskies about as well as anyone, didn't they and not once but twice.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't you have been watching your own team who was playing the same exact time?

Louisville played a bad game and found a way to win at the end against a team fighting for it's NCAA life.

Perhaps we should judge Baylor on one game too. Like the Kansas loss.
I couldn't agree more! Who is Kansas and what kind of impressive resume to they have. Are they tourney bound or on the bubble???? The object of basketball is to win and I know I'm bummed when UConn doesn't dominate some of these top teams that they play but the reality is they even if a win is only by 10 or 12 points when I feel they've played less than stellar, they have that big "W" to walk away with. South Florida has played very good basketball this year, particularly on the defensive end and Louisville came out on top. I've said again and again that they're not in the same class as UConn and Notre Dame but who is???? I can guarantee you that USF would have some success against some of the teams that people are being thrown around for the last No. 1 seed and those No. 2 seeds. Louisville gets a chance to go after the Huskies again tomorrow. We'll see how they do!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I suspect that neither Baylor nor Louisville will get a 1 seed since UT won the SEC tourney. One seeds will be UCONN at Louisville, ND at ND, UT in Lincoln and Stanford at Stanford

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You forgot South Carolina. Where do you put them?
Creme thinks a 2 seed with Notre Dame. I think that's a good guess. If Stanford gets a 1 we could be a 2 with them. I'd like that because we can beat Stanford.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Intriguing at the start...could be infuriating by the end...

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Friends, I'm not sure which I'll wind up finding more entertaining - this thread, or the actual selections.

Reaction Score
But not as well as Baylor.
Your team is a one trick pony, Wait till you meet a great team on a neutral floor. Mulkey is a nut job and did not handle the Grinner years very well. I remember this quote from her " You better get us now because we will not loose for years" How did that work out for you?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ding, ding, ding. that is the correct answer. There is no difference between 1 or 2. Playing at home is more important, and being healthy.
There is a slight difference - As a two seed Stanford will have to play the worst #1 seed to get out of the region, as a one seed they have to play the worst #2 seed to get out of the region - so they are either getting the #4 or the #8 team in the committees eyes. While I am not sure there is a whole lot to choose between whoever the committee decides is the 4th best team and the 8th best team, presumably someone does. Beyond that regional final match-up good teams really shouldn't worry to much about the other teams in the bracket - any team can catch fire and any team can play a bad game, and predicting which ones will is impossible - just ask Baylor!:rolleyes:

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Make it simple. Based on out of conference wins, conference rating and standing, conference tourney performance, and bad losses, the #1 seeds should be UConn, ND, the Baylor/WV winner, and Tennessee.

#2 seeds should be Stanford, South Carolina, Louisville and either Duke or the Baylor/West Virginia loser.

#3 seeds would be either Duke or Baylor/West Virginia loser, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Kentucky

#4 seeds would be Penn State, Maryland, NC State and North Carolina (unless you feel you HAVE to put another Big 10 team in, in which case put Purdue, Michigan State and Iowa in a hat and pick one!)

Assuming that Baylor wins a close game tomorrow and West Virginia gets the #2 seed over Duke, here’s how the Regions could play out:

On the left side of the bracket…

Lincoln:
UConn
South Carolina
Nebraska
Maryland

Stanford:
Baylor
Stanford
Texas A&M
North Carolina

On the right side of the bracket…

South Bend:
Notre Dame
West Virginia
Kentucky
Penn State

Louisville:
Tennessee
Louisville
Duke
North Carolina State

Only North Carolina would have to travel three time zones. The only region with two #1-4 seeds from the same conference would be Louisville, and Duke and NC State could only wind up playing each other in the Region Final. (if you switch Duke and West Virginia, then the South Bend Region would have two ACC teams but they could only meet in the Region Final. Obviously, you can also flop Baylor and Stanford, or Tennessee and Louisville, or North Carolina/North Carolina State/Maryland without having to change anything else.

Reaction Score
There is a slight difference - As a two seed Stanford will have to play the worst #1 seed to get out of the region, as a one seed they have to play the worst #2 seed to get out of the region - so they are either getting the #4 or the #8 team in the committees eyes. While I am not sure there is a whole lot to choose between whoever the committee decides is the 4th best team and the 8th best team, presumably someone does. Beyond that regional final match-up good teams really shouldn't worry to much about the other teams in the bracket - any team can catch fire and any team can play a bad game, and predicting which ones will is impossible - just ask Baylor!:rolleyes:

I completely agree it's about match-ups and which teams get hot, which is why I'm not so big on 1 vs 2 seed.

And I know all too well about bad match-ups, e.g., Minn and FSU beat Stanford at Maples when we hosted. In 2005 in KC, after Stanford beat UConn, we lost to MSU because it was bad match-up. In fact, on selection show that day down at Stanford, I chatted with a Stanford assistant, and she said MSU was the team they wanted to avoid the most because they could score at all 5 positions. In 2008 in Tampa, TN was a bad match up for Stanford, even though we beat them earlier that year, we didn't have size at the guard position.

I had a hunch (same gut) about Baylor losing early last yr. I never thought they had good chemistry late in the yr. I also predicted Baylor would lose to A&M in 2011 because beating the same team is hard. And of course, A&M was another bad match-up for Stanford.

Reaction Score
Make it simple. Based on out of conference wins, conference rating and standing, conference tourney performance, and bad losses, the #1 seeds should be UConn, ND, the Baylor/WV winner, and Tennessee.

#2 seeds should be Stanford, South Carolina, Louisville and either Duke or the Baylor/West Virginia loser.

#3 seeds would be either Duke or Baylor/West Virginia loser, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Kentucky

#4 seeds would be Penn State, Maryland, NC State and North Carolina (unless you feel you HAVE to put another Big 10 team in, in which case put Purdue, Michigan State and Iowa in a hat and pick one!)

Assuming that Baylor wins a close game tomorrow and West Virginia gets the #2 seed over Duke, here’s how the Regions could play out:

On the left side of the bracket…

Lincoln:
UConn
South Carolina
Nebraska
Maryland

Stanford:
Baylor
Stanford
Texas A&M
North Carolina

On the right side of the bracket…

South Bend:
Notre Dame
West Virginia
Kentucky
Penn State

Louisville:
Tennessee
Louisville
Duke
North Carolina State

Only North Carolina would have to travel three time zones. The only region with two #1-4 seeds from the same conference would be Louisville, and Duke and NC State could only wind up playing each other in the Region Final. (if you switch Duke and West Virginia, then the South Bend Region would have two ACC teams but they could only meet in the Region Final. Obviously, you can also flop Baylor and Stanford, or Tennessee and Louisville, or North Carolina/North Carolina State/Maryland without having to change anything else.

WVA lost 3, 1 to TX, 1 OSU and 1 to Baylor, but they beat no one and played weak sister schedule. Won reg conf. RPI 13, SOS 74. They are not getting 1 seed due to that.

TN lost at Stanford and to LSU, both good losses. Had one bad loss to unranked Vandy). Won their conf. tourney, but not reg conf. RPI 5, SOS 4.

Baylor has one bad loss to Kansas. Did not win reg conf. RPI 10, SOS 41

Stanford lost 3, 2 to unranked teams. Won reg. season conf. by a lot. RPI 3. SOS 11

Based on data, it's Stanford as last 4 seed, then Tn and of course UConn and ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom