Final Number One Seed | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Final Number One Seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
WVA lost 3, 1 to TX, 1 OSU and 1 to Baylor, but they beat no one and played weak sister schedule. Won reg conf. RPI 13, SOS 74. They are not getting 1 seed due to that.

TN lost at Stanford and to LSU, both good losses. Had one bad loss to unranked Vandy). Won their conf. tourney, but not reg conf. RPI 5, SOS 4.

Baylor has one bad loss to Kansas. Did not win reg conf. RPI 10, SOS 41

Stanford lost 3, 2 to unranked teams. Won reg. season conf. by a lot. RPI 3. SOS 11

Based on data, it's Stanford as last 4 seed, then Tn and of course UConn and ND.

No way that losing to LSU at home is a good loss. It's on par with the Vandy loss.

LSU lost 6 out of their last 7 and 8 out of their last 10.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Louisville is a one seed imo and UConn goes to Nebraska. I think Stanford keeps a one seed even with their USC loss. How many losses does Stanford have? LVills have? LVille has lost to UCOnn how many times. IMO LVille is a well balanced team and can shoot the trey as well as anybody. WVa is getting no recognition and imo should. They are a very well coached team. USF should make it too. Very well coached and plays tuff. JMO folks.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Said it before Baylor 1 seed at Stanford 2 seed, Tennessee 1 seed at Louisville 2 seed, Notre Dame 1 seed with West Virginia 2 seed, UConn 1 seed in Lincoln with either Duke or Kentucky as 2 seed.

Looks promising except KY with UConn - that has happened often enough that the committee will avoid it.

Reaction Score
If WVU beats Baylor tonight they deserve the 4th #1 seed as behind UCONN & ND they are the hottest team in Div. I! Stanford doesn't deserve a #1 after USC loss! TN is in the discussion winning SEC Tourney! Baylor could if they beat WVU!
I still think that UCONN has to go to Lincoln!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
WVA lost 3, 1 to TX, 1 OSU and 1 to Baylor, but they beat no one and played weak sister schedule. Won reg conf. RPI 13, SOS 74. They are not getting 1 seed due to that.

TN lost at Stanford and to LSU, both good losses. Had one bad loss to unranked Vandy). Won their conf. tourney, but not reg conf. RPI 5, SOS 4.

Baylor has one bad loss to Kansas. Did not win reg conf. RPI 10, SOS 41

Stanford lost 3, 2 to unranked teams. Won reg. season conf. by a lot. RPI 3. SOS 11

Based on data, it's Stanford as last 4 seed, then Tn and of course UConn and ND.
Stanford "lost to two unranked teams"? You're not just talking about an unranked team but a Washington team that is at a horrific #72 in Sagarin and way worse in vowelguy's favorite brain-dead index. WVU's SOS is not far behind Stanford's in Sagarin and is a decent #26 in Massey. Stanford has one decent road win, over Texas back in December, and at least WVU has the road win over Baylor and three other road wins against Sags Top 25 teams.

Stanford just has a squatty resume and now way should they be a #1 at this point.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
As much as I am pulling for WVU, I can't see them as a one seed, even if they win.

Reaction Score
As much as I am pulling for WVU, I can't see them as a one seed, even if they win.
Maybe not a 1 seed, but they shouldn't be shown by Charlie as trending down to a 3 seed, when they have been winning. They also unlike Stanford didn't get beaten before the conference final by a bad team. Charlie just doesn't want to take the time to completely re-evaluate his original matrix according to the current status of teams. But I do agree a 2 seed would be where they should be, win or lose.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The Eers current #10 rating in Sagarin is problematic. But if they beat Baylor they will finish with at least a share of the two B12 championships, the will have a 13 game winning streak going in the conference rated the toughest by Sagarin, and they would likely finish at least #5 in the Massey index with only Duke and Louisville among the other #1 contenders possibly ahead of them.

Not the worst credentials.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is really a tuff pick. Stanford has the least amount of losses. WVa Baylor Louisville (will have 3 losses to UConn) Tenn all in the mix. SOS and who beat who and who lost to who will make a difference. I personally think LVille is the third best team in WCBB, followed by Baylor. Bottom line the two best teams in WCBB this season are UConn and ND and the brackets should be set up to make that happen. With 2 big names along with Nebraska the fans will selling out.

UConn/ Tenn @ Nebraska
ND/WVa
Louisville/South Carolina
Stanford/Baylor

These pairings imo will put fannies in the seats.

Reaction Score
My current thinking:

@Lou: UConn^ ., Kentucky^, Lou[@Ia], NCSt [@Pur]
@ND : ND[@LSU], SC[@IaSt], UNC^ ..., Penn St^
@NE : Tenness^, Baylor^ ., Neb[@Wa], Maryland^
@Stn: Stn[@LA], Duke^ ..., WV[@Tol], Tx A&M^

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
My current thinking:

@Lou: UConn^ ., Kentucky^, Lou[@Ia], NCSt [@Pur]
@ND : ND[@LSU], SC[@IaSt], UNC^ ..., Penn St^
@NE : Tenness^, Baylor^ ., Neb[@Wa], Maryland^
@Stn: Stn[@LA], Duke^ ..., WV[@Tol], Tx A&M^
Line up UConn and KY to meet for a third straight year as the #1 and #2 seed in their region? Yep that sounds like exactly what the committee should do. And line up Baylor and UTenn as the #1 and #2 seeds together for the third year in a row because, hey, they at least didn't meet in the E8 last season. And yeah, Louisville's obviously a #3 seed.

But the committee could never do anything creative and maybe switch it up a bit.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Line up UConn and KY to meet for a third straight year as the #1 and #2 seed in their region? Yep that sounds like exactly what the committee should do.

The most applicable rule:

If possible, rematches of previous yearsf tournament
games should be avoided in the first and second rounds.

does not prohibit CT and KY in the same region, but I agree that they will attempt to avoid this.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The most applicable rule:

If possible, rematches of previous yearsf tournament
games should be avoided in the first and second rounds.

does not prohibit CT and KY in the same region, but I agree that they will attempt to avoid this.
Obviously the committee does repeat the #1 and #2 seeds placements sometimes. To do it for the same pairs for three years in a row? I can't find any precedent for that every happening before. I guess anything is possible, but a few gaskets might be blown there and a lot of fans might think that the WCBB tourney is getting stale and boring.

Reaction Score
Stanford "lost to two unranked teams"? You're not just talking about an unranked team but a Washington team that is at a horrific #72 in Sagarin and way worse in vowelguy's favorite brain-dead index. WVU's SOS is not far behind Stanford's in Sagarin and is a decent #26 in Massey. Stanford has one decent road win, over Texas back in December, and at least WVU has the road win over Baylor and three other road wins against Sags Top 25 teams.

Stanford just has a squatty resume and now way should they be a #1 at this point.

Charlie said Stanford's 2 losses were not bad, especially since one was to winner of Pac 12 tourney. I could agree that Stanford is not playing well enough to be a 1 seed and I would rather see them as a 2 seed. However, their resume is better than Baylor, WVA or Duke for the last 1 seed.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Charlie said Stanford's 2 losses were not bad, especially since one was to winner of Pac 12 tourney. I could agree that Stanford is not playing well enough to be a 1 seed and I would rather see them as a 2 seed. However, their resume is better than Baylor, WVA or Duke for the last 1 seed.
Okay, well I guess I'll just have to take Charlie's word for it then. Hope he doesn't say that Rutgers' loss to #300+ UMass was not bad.

Creme is referring to the "official" definition of a bad loss as one to a team rate 100+, but he is not so clueless as to suggest that Stanford's loss to Washington was okay. He keeps pointing to brain-dead RPI for choices, and a loss to a team rated #84 there is "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad to the bone," for a #1 seed candidate.

Reaction Score
debatable

Reaction Score
Let's face it. We have two No. 1 seeds and a whole bunch of No. 2 seeds.

I wish the committee good luck.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If anyone still thinks Louisville deserves a #1 seed... they should be banned from watching this years tournament. No TV, No internet, No radio... heck.... banned from even reading the sports section of the newspaper. :p

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
If anyone still thinks Louisville deserves a #1 seed... they should be banned from watching this years tournament. No TV, No internet, No radio... heck.... banned from even reading the sports section of the newspaper. :p
Yeah, another big loss to UConn. At least Duke only lost by 22 at home instead of the huge amounts the Cards keep losing by. But give Lville a #5 seed like last year so that they have to earn that place in the NC again. Duke should get the customary #2 seed and ride it to the E8 before gracefully bowing out again.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah, another big loss to UConn. At least Duke only lost by 22 at home instead of the huge amounts the Cards keep losing by. But give Lville a #5 seed like last year so that they have to earn that place in the NC again. Duke should get the customary #2 seed and ride it to the E8 before gracefully bowing out again.

If Duke can make it to the Elite 8 after losing 4 PG's... One a 2 time all-american.... and another last year's ACC tournament MVP as a freshman..... that would be an accomplishment.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
If Duke can make it to the Elite 8 after losing 4 PG's... One a 2 time all-american.... and another last year's ACC tournament MVP as a freshman..... that would be an accomplishment.
Certainly would. Not quite like UConn losing Sveta and Shea in 2001 and being one meltdown half short of an NC game, but sort of close.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Certainly would. Not quite like UConn losing Sveta and Shea in 2001 and being one meltdown half short of an NC game, but sort of close.

Oh ok.... speaking of which.... I saw a participant of that game this weekend. ACC Legend Ruth Riley :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I agree. I think Stanford has a stronger case, although Baylor wrapped up its season with 2 top 20 wins. The KU loss was a really bad one for Baylor and may be the deciding factor against them.

But what does Stanford care? They will be at home anyway, either as a 1 or 2, which really means they are a 1 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom