Facts that our Orange Friends Can't Ignore | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Facts that our Orange Friends Can't Ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the TV images that I could see...there was a vast difference in the appearance of the BC fans and the PSU guys...

The PSU fans were uniformly dressed in the blue of Penn State (like an army of drones).

The BC crowd looked like a Woody Harrelson kind of crew. All different kinds of plaid shirts intersprinkled with a some red and gold...They looked loose and nonconformist in contrast.
In reply to BB whom I just put on ign.
How would you know? You couldn't find them in the sea of Nit nation.

Reaction Score
BTW, Upstater, I know you also have a PSU allegiance. Their fans were great yesterday. Loud and passionate - but NOT jerks. (IMO, this often doesn't happen with every fanbase.). The folks I chatted with were classy and friendly. I was super impressed by how loud and coordinated their chants, cheers, etc. were. We already talked about their discipline in wearing the school colors.

Gotta say, that while our team was the equal of PSU yesterday, our fans were nowhere in their league.
Having watched the game on TV, it really sounded like it was at least 75% PSU fans. Either that or the ESPN mics were really close to the Penn State section. Some of the booing I heard was on par with what you'd get at a Red Sox-Yankees game. BC should have killed Penn State. I read that Penn State was playing with 40-something scholarship players and most of the team is underclassmen due to all the sanctions. Even Illinois beat this Penn State team, and they are really bad.

Reaction Score
There is little doubt that PSU fans were a vast majority at the game....the TV camera pans of the BC fans did show a smaller but quirky group.

Who would even think that BC would put as many fans as Penn State in a bowl game? Penn State is one of the monsters of college ball when it comes to fan attendance.

My wife and son wondered about the PSU band. They played the same tune....over and over. Some sort of theme for PSU? Not as annoying as the FSU chant...but likewise very discernible in the background of the game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BC1978 said:
Dooley, I wasn't going to respond to this thread any more, but since you addressed me directly, I will give you my response. First of all, thanks much for the tips on the Metro. I took the train from Stamford and it went very well. Plenty of parking and a nice big train station to handle the crowds. Coming back was wild in that thousands of people descended on a relatively small platform at Yankee Stadium at the same time. I was worried about safety as so many people crowding on a platform and pushing and shoving as a train approached was scary. Fortunately it all worked out. (Personal opinion: when I hear people like in the Hollywood left preach about environmental awareness and the wonders of mass transit for commuters, I doubt they would ever use it themselves in their daily commute!)

The Bowl was great (other than the ending). The Yankee people did a first class job with this game!

As to the fan attendance, you guys are funny. BC had 10-15,000 fans at that game. The lower bowl from the outfield, along the third base line, to home plate, was filled with BC fans. Ditto the middle level. Yes, PSU had more than twice as many fans, but the biggest difference is that they were VERY LOUD. That's something you don't see in the BC fanbase (other than the students), even at home games. So yes, the environment DID make it more of a home game for PSU. That said, to say there was less than 5k BC fans there, as some here have indicated, is absurd. None of you guys were there. The PSU fans I talked to agreed with me about what they perceived the size of the BC crowd was.

Ahhhhh, no. I was staring toward that side of the field throughout the entire game.

The majority BC sections were on the field level from the 4 sections on the third base side of the foul pole to the batters eye where the BC band was sitting ( the band itself was very spread out). In the second (main) level BC had about 3 sections left of the foul pole. They had almost none of the two upper deck tiers. Except for the two sections of high rollers behind home plate in the delta suites, it was all blue and white dominated.

I would say they sold their allotment and not much else. I would also say more than a handful of BC tickets ended up in Pennsylvanian hands.

But the real question is this. Had UConn been in a similar spot would it have been different? The answer is obviously, yes.

As for the game, it was a little sad to see BC running UConn's randy ball offense with a QB we would have liked to have. It also hurt to see two former Huskies starting for BC. Though that was mitigated by one of them giving up the winning TD and of course BC choking an extra point.

And how does a guy from Boston become afraid of mass transit. Train life is just as big a thing in Boston.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
billybud said:
There is little doubt that PSU fans were a vast majority at the game....the TV camera pans of the BC fans did show a smaller but quirky group.

Who would even think that BC would put as many fans as Penn State in a bowl game? Penn State is one of the monsters of college ball when it comes to fan attendance.

My wife and son wondered about the PSU band. They played the same tune....over and over. Some sort of theme for PSU? Not as annoying as the FSU chant...but likewise very discernible in the background of the game.

I think that was the baseline from Seven Nation Army, it's their default riff when on Offense. They also rotate riffs on defense from Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera and plus a few others. The crowd is conditioned to react to them.

Something I've been calling for our band to do for years. I would also note that the show they put on at halftime included a shortened version of their pregame show. The PSU block and the floating lions drill. It builds crowd enthusiasm and gets people into their stadium early. Again, something I wish our band would do.

Those with free time can search for their Beaver Stadium pregame on YouTube and compare with the a snooze fest that is UConn's pregame.

FWIW, I thought BC'S band did well, but dwarfed by the size of the stadium as the were about a third of the size of the PSU band. They needed to be on mic to be heard.

Reaction Score
BTW, Upstater, I know you also have a PSU allegiance. Their fans were great yesterday. Loud and passionate - but NOT jerks. (IMO, this often doesn't happen with every fanbase.). The folks I chatted with were classy and friendly. I was super impressed by how loud and coordinated their chants, cheers, etc. were. We already talked about their discipline in wearing the school colors.

Gotta say, that while our team was the equal of PSU yesterday, our fans were nowhere in their league.

Going to a PSU game at Beaver Stadium sometimes feels like you're in the audience at Nuremberg.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think it's way cool that thousands upon thousands of BC fans eschewed wearing team colors in order to attend a bowl game incognito.
On TV, it looked like a typical Yankee Stadium crowd. It was a sea of dark blue with a little white sprinkled in.

Reaction Score
Quick question: if you're chiding us by saying that BC fans were wearing colors other than their school colors, how do you know that there were 10,000-15,000 BC fans there?

Isn't yours just a guess, too?

Well, because I was there. My section was all BC fans - wearing all different varieties of colors.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If attendance was 50,000 then 10k (20%) for BC sound about right.

Reaction Score
Having watched the game on TV, it really sounded like it was at least 75% PSU fans. Either that or the ESPN mics were really close to the Penn State section. Some of the booing I heard was on par with what you'd get at a Red Sox-Yankees game. BC should have killed Penn State. I read that Penn State was playing with 40-something scholarship players and most of the team is underclassmen due to all the sanctions. Even Illinois beat this Penn State team, and they are really bad.

1)BC should not have killed PSU. It was a fairly even match up on paper and on the field.
2)Playing with 40+ yes. Adding in injuries and red shirts puts the number closer to 70.
3)Illinois was REALLY BAD, and losing to them was ulcer inducing. That said this team was incredibly young, and was literally a handful of plays away from winning 9 or 10 games this year.

FWIW from my estimation I'd say BC had between 7000-9000 fans in attendance. They were grouped primarily in one main section and then interspersed among the crowd.

Reaction Score
Going to a PSU game at Beaver Stadium sometimes feels like you're in the audience at Nuremberg.

I'm not even sure how to take this? It might be an insult but it made me chuckle.

Reaction Score
I think that was the baseline from Seven Nation Army, it's their default riff when on Offense. They also rotate riffs on defense from Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera and plus a few others. The crowd is conditioned to react to them.

Something I've been calling for our band to do for years. I would also note that the show they put on at halftime included a shortened version of their pregame show. The PSU block and the floating lions drill. It builds crowd enthusiasm and gets people into their stadium early. Again, something I wish our band would do.

Those with free time can search for their Beaver Stadium pregame on YouTube and compare with the a snooze fest that is UConn's pregame.

FWIW, I thought BC'S band did well, but dwarfed by the size of the stadium as the were about a third of the size of the PSU band. They needed to be on mic to be heard.

Pretty good take. They'll also throw in "Hail to The Lion" quite a bit as well. You must be a current or former band guy, as you have a solid understanding of PSU's Program. The Blue Band is definitely one of the top bands in the country. PSU Pregame is very well done.

Reaction Score
From the TV images that I could see...there was a vast difference in the appearance of the BC fans and the PSU guys...

The PSU fans were uniformly dressed in the blue of Penn State (like an army of drones).

The BC crowd looked like a Woody Harrelson kind of crew. All different kinds of plaid shirts intersprinkled with a some red and gold...They looked loose and nonconformist in contrast.

"The PSU fans were uniformly dressed in the blue of Penn State(like an army of drones)." Come on man. WTF were fans supposed to wear to a bowl game? I guess FSU Fans will be wearing tuxedos and evening gowns at The Rose Bowl instead of Garnet and Gold?

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure how to take this? It might be an insult but it made me chuckle.

I've been a PSU football fan since I was a little kid. Also did a degree at PSU. But man oh man, those crowds.

Reaction Score
I was commenting re the difference to how PSU and the BC crowd dressed...BC not very uniformly...and many young guys in their section were wearing anything but school colors.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The strangest message board obsession is about what people wear to games.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Pretty good take. They'll also throw in "Hail to The Lion" quite a bit as well. You must be a current or former band guy, as you have a solid understanding of PSU's Program. The Blue Band is definitely one of the top bands in the country. PSU Pregame is very well done.

I've been dragged to my share of games. But for not, I wouldn't be a UConn FB fan. You can't attend games in State College and not emerge a CFB fan. Everything you think you want in a game day experience is right there.

Reaction Score
I was commenting re the difference to how PSU and the BC crowd dressed...BC not very uniformly...and many young guys in their section were wearing anything but school colors.
That's a northeast thing. San Antonio 2004. Every single OK State fan was wearing Orange. GA Tech was almost there. UCONN was more of a mix. Very apparent looking at the crowd during the semi's. But I think it has been changing over the past few years.

Reaction Score
I am almost envious of BC. I see that they will play Georgia Tech in Dublin in 2016.

A flight to Dublin from Boston can't be that much more than my flight to BC from Tallahassee...and tailgating at an ancient Irish pub sounds like fun.

We have ersatz Irish pubs down here that are Disneyfied versions of what some designer imagines looks Irish.

Reaction Score
I am almost envious of BC. I see that they will play Georgia Tech in Dublin in 2016.

A flight to Dublin from Boston can't be that much more than my flight to BC from Tallahassee...and tailgating at an ancient Irish pub sounds like fun.

We have ersatz Irish pubs down here that are Disneyfied versions of what some designer imagines looks Irish.

Boston has plenty of Irish pubs. With real Irishmen serving drinks.

Price to fly from Boston to within two hours of Tallahassee? $260
Price to fly from Boston to Dublin? $800.

Reaction Score
Orbitz gives me a low of $1800 roundtrip from Tallahassee to Dublin...ouchee!

And $735 to Boston from Tallahassee.

I assume your fares are from Jacksonville...190 miles away....Atlanta is about a 10 hour round trip from here and fares are a lot cheaper.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The strangest message board obsession is about what people wear to games.
The worst post is "on TV it looked like people aren't wearing UConn colors." Oh cool what were you wearing on your couch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom