Facts that our Orange Friends Can't Ignore | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Facts that our Orange Friends Can't Ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hey Dooley. I think the numbers you provided have helped us get a good handle on the likely PSU-BC attendance split for this weekend's game.

Assuming your numbers are correct (are they based on Facebook "Likes"?), and assuming the allotment each school got for their alums and students was 15k apiece, and based on the PB announcement that both schools sold out their allotment and the rest of the tickets were sold in and around NYC, and finally, based on your numbers which showed that PSU has 186k NYC fans and BC has 61K NYC fans (3-1 in favor of PSU), here is a reasonable projection, IMO:

PSU: 33,000 fans (15,000 allotment plus 18,000 of the remaining 24,000)
BC: 21,000 fans (15,000 allotment plus 6,000 of the remaining 24,000)

Likely PSU-BC split: 61% - 39%. I will take that! Your numbers were helpful! :)

You're slipping BC. It took you over 30 minutes to respond to my post. Better fix that Boneyard filter!

Yes, these are from an overly-cited New York Times piece from 2011 that counted Facebook "Likes". In my opinion, I think there will be anywhere from a 70/30 to 65/35 split. BC should have as many fans at the Pinstripe Bowl as UCONN had for our game against Army a month ago (meant as a compliment...we had roughly 16-18K in attendance). That's not bad considering the long drive for these every single one of the 16-18K BC fans driving directly from Chestnut Hill. :)

Reaction Score
You're slipping BC. It took you over 30 minutes to respond to my post. Better fix that Boneyard filter!

Yes, these are from an overly-cited New York Times piece from 2011 that counted Facebook "Likes". In my opinion, I think there will be anywhere from a 70/30 to 65/35 split. BC should have as many fans at the Pinstripe Bowl as UCONN had for our game against Army a month ago (meant as a compliment...we had roughly 16-18K in attendance). That's not bad considering the long drive for these every single one of the 16-18K BC fans driving directly from Chestnut Hill. :)

Hey, amazing! I think we are basically at the same place. I may think the split will be slightly more favorable for BC, but much too close to yours to quibble! Of course, we will know more in a few days. (BTW, not all of us will be driving the whole way. Some of us will drive to New Haven and take the train the rest of the way!:)

Which reminds me - is it better to catch the train from New Haven or Stamford? (I hate the drive from NH to Stamford on I95, but is it quicker than being on the train between those two points?)

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Hey, amazing! I think we are basically at the same place. I may think the split will be slightly more favorable for BC, but much too close to yours to quibble! Of course, we will know more in a few days.

Are you going? I have a few friends who are BC alumni who are. Have fun and safe travels, if you are!

Reaction Score
Are you going? I have a few friends who are BC alumni who are. Have fun and safe travels, if you are!

I am. Adjusted my note above to ask a train question regarding New Haven and Stamford. What do you think? Is it easier to get on the train at New Haven or Stamford? Thanks!

Reaction Score
Hey Dooley. I think the numbers you provided have helped us get a good handle on the likely PSU-BC attendance split for this weekend's game.

Assuming your numbers are correct (are they based on Facebook "Likes"?), and assuming the allotment each school got for their alums and students was 15k apiece, and based on the PB announcement that both schools sold out their allotment and the rest of the tickets were sold in and around NYC, and finally, based on your numbers which showed that PSU has 186K NYC fans and BC has 61K NYC fans (3-1 in favor of PSU), here is a reasonable projection, IMO:

Yankee Stadium Capacity: 54,000
PSU: 33,000 fans (15,000 allotment plus 18,000 of the remaining 24,000)
BC: 21,000 fans (15,000 allotment plus 6,000 of the remaining 24,000)

Likely PSU-BC split: 61% - 39%. I will take that! Your numbers were helpful! :)

Your analysis requires that no buyer of a BC ticket from the allotment would ever sell it to anyone else. That's false.

Everyone knows that BC would sell out Pope Francis if they could get another dollar for him.

Reaction Score
I am. Adjusted my note above to ask a train question regarding New Haven and Stamford. What do you think? Is it easier to get on the train at New Haven or Stamford? Thanks!

I'd recommend New Haven. I took this for the Army game. It's easier to get there and to park, and more time on the train = more time to drink and not drive.

Plus, I hope it gives you guys the same luck that we had against Army...

Dooley

Reaction Score

I always hop on the Express from New Haven. It's a 20-30 minute drive for me right down 91. Be careful not to get on the "all stops" line or you'll be stopping every 20 feet.

There are pros and cons to both. New Haven is closer but is located in a rough neighborhood and has limited parking. Stamford is further along the line but there is a large parking garage located right across the street. If you aren't familiar with New Haven and where to park/walk (especially coming back to New Haven at night after the game) then I'd suggest Stamford. It's located right off of 95 (not a bad drive from the Merritt either) and plenty of safe parking. That way, if you decide to stay in the city after the game for dinner or something, you don't have to worry about walking to your car through New Haven (or any neighborhood) late at night.

Reaction Score
I always hop on the Express from New Haven. It's a 20-30 minute drive for me right down 91. Be careful not to get on the "all stops" line or you'll be stopping every 20 feet.

There are pros and cons to both. New Haven is closer but is located in a rough neighborhood and has limited parking. Stamford is further along the line but there is a large parking garage located right across the street. If you aren't familiar with New Haven and where to park/walk (especially coming back to New Haven at night after the game) then I'd suggest Stamford. It's located right off of 95 (not a bad drive from the Merritt either) and plenty of safe parking. That way, if you decide to stay in the city after the game for dinner or something, you don't have to worry about walking to your car through New Haven (or any neighborhood) late at night.

Thanks guys. This is really helpful. Stamford it is. Much appreciated!

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I'd recommend New Haven. I took this for the Army game. It's easier to get there and to park, and more time on the train = more time to drink and not drive.

Plus, I hope it gives you guys the same luck that we had against Army...

You forgot to tell him about the need to get off at the 125th street station in order to catch a short cab ride to the Bronx. :)

Reaction Score

The trains get pretty crowded though and you may have to stand up. That's why I always go to New Haven. Get there a little early to make sure you get a seat. I'm sure all the trains will be quite packed this Saturday.

Reaction Score
Yup. It's the only sample we have but a sample nonetheless.

Point is, Penn State's fanbase is huge. They show up in huge numbers every where they go, including the Rose Bowl. There is absolutely zero chance that Yankee Stadium will be a 50/50 split between maroon and gold vs blue and white. Zero.

It's not the only sample. The Harris people polled about a decade ago. Results were wildly different. Zig by did a poll too but it was all electronic, so less credibility. If you put real money behind a study of this question, it's ND first and PSU second for football. Uconn 1st for ball.

Reaction Score

Eh... I would not say that neighborhood is rough. Yes, the projects are right there but police HQ is across the street.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Eh... I would not say that neighborhood is rough. Yes, the projects are right there but police HQ is across the street.

If it's in New Haven, it's rough. Every time I watch the news, there is a new shooting in that city. I would prefer the safety of having a parking garage right across the street if I was training back in late at night...especially if I wasn't familiar with New Haven like BC dude probably isn't.

Reaction Score
If it's in New Haven, it's rough. Every time I watch the news, there is a new shooting in that city. I would prefer the safety of having a parking garage right across the street if I was training back in late at night...especially if I wasn't familiar with New Haven like BC dude probably isn't.

So... Some guy posts above from So. Indiana about his visit to New haven for the first time, he was expecting a lil burg, and he sees a ton of people walking around the city, but a suburbanite CT person thinks it's dangerous.

Downtown New Haven has a lot of night life, lots of restaurants, lots of bars, etc.

Reaction Score

I agree and NH PD patrols that area regularly. Only time I have felt nervous is when the main garage and I had to park across the street in the garage that is next to the projects and I came back at night.

Reaction Score
So... Some guy posts above from So. Indiana about his visit to New haven for the first time, he was expecting a lil burg, and he sees a ton of people walking around the city, but a suburbanite CT person thinks it's dangerous.

Downtown New Haven has a lot of night life, lots of restaurants, lots of bars, etc.

and PIZZA!!!

Dooley

Reaction Score

Yup, I do. My perception. I was asked for my opinion: New Haven vs Stamford train stations. Not nightlife, restaurants, bars. I go to New Haven but only because I know where I'm going. But I certainly wouldn't send someone there knowing full well that their return trip won't get them back to New Haven until the witching hours. I have no idea if this guy has kids or who he's going with. Their game starts at 4:30 and won't be over until 8ish. That gets him back to New Haven at 11-12 at the earliest. I sure as heck wouldn't want my kid or an older parent/relative walking around the streets of New Haven at midnight, hence why I answered Stamford.

Reaction Score
Yup, I do. My perception. I was asked for my opinion: New Haven vs Stamford train stations. Not nightlife, restaurants, bars. I go to New Haven but only because I know where I'm going. But I certainly wouldn't send someone there knowing full well that their return trip won't get them back to New Haven until the witching hours. I have no idea if this guy has kids or who he's going with. Their game starts at 4:30 and won't be over until 8ish. That gets him back to New Haven at 11-12 at the earliest. I sure as heck wouldn't want my kid or an older parent/relative walking around the streets of New Haven at midnight, hence why I answered Stamford.

Wow. I'm just shocked that you wrote that. I go out late at night in new haven. I was there just 2 weeks ago, and we went to a bar on Orange st and Crown, left after midnight. I've never heard of. It's people getting shot in New haven before, just drug turf war type stuff, which is typical of most northeastern cities.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Wow. I'm just shocked that you wrote that. I go out late at night in new haven. I was there just 2 weeks ago, and we went to a bar on Orange st and Crown, left after midnight. I've never heard of. It's people getting shot in New haven before, just drug turf war type stuff, which is typical of most northeastern cities.

Meh, honestly I really don't give a about New Haven or discussing this even further. I'm entitled to my opinion and you yours. Agree to disagree.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On a weekend the Fairfield station is the best one to use. It's an express stop and free parking.

Reaction Score
It's not the only sample. The Harris people polled about a decade ago. Results were wildly different. Zig by did a poll too but it was all electronic, so less credibility. If you put real money behind a study of this question, it's ND first and PSU second for football. Uconn 1st for ball.
how about the B1G's research firms poll before RU's invite in "10" showing the value to be added by RU was only exceeded by ND of all the potential candidates? Some people refuse anything(almost all are agenda driven or jealous) showing RU's immense value. A year before the announcement I wondered why the B1G was polling many of the CFB sites I visited!?! Seems I soon learned to my relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom