Facts that our Orange Friends Can't Ignore | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Facts that our Orange Friends Can't Ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Actually, no one had mentioned, much less criticized BC until you decided to piss in our cheerios and hijack the thread by claiming that UCONN didn't show any reach on Thursday night and then continuing to argue ad infinitum about it. So don't get all righteous all the sudden when BC is ridiculed.

Thank you. This BC internet officer must have a hyper-sensitive filter anytime someone says anything about Boston College or the city of Boston. I made a comment that I would like to see UCONN schedule games like Duke at TD Bank (similar to what they did against Gonzaga a few years ago) and he wanted to play "reach" semantic games. Showcasing the strength of UCONN's brand (just like every other school does when they schedule neutral site games) in various cities in the northeast to help elevate our CR profile is against BC troll law. BC fans like to think of UCONN as being an insulated fanbase located within a 10 mile radius of campus. That just isn't true. UCONN just outsold Duke in what is widely considered "their turf" and instead of acknowledging that UCONN's brand is strong, we get the tired ol' BC claim that every fan in attendance came from Storrs and there aren't any UCONN alumni living in and around NYC/NJ (or Boston or anywhere other than Connecticut).

I didn't make any BC comment in my original post. The original post that he was responding to was about scheduling games in New York and Boston. So let's get back to the main point: what other school could move as many tickets as UCONN at IZOD, Barclay's, MSG and TD Bank? None. That's who.

Reaction Score
Well said and quite true, but on the FB side from the "perception is reality" front, the only way we would get credit for being a FB draw in NY, or BOS is to schedule a couple of good opponents at the Met or Gillette and then sell the places out.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Well said and quite true, but on the FB side from the "perception is reality" front, the only way we would get credit for being a FB draw in NY, or BOS is to schedule a couple of good opponents at the Met or Gillette and then sell the places out.

Agree that we need to schedule football games in NY/Boston. Unfortunately, our State leg says we can't play any "home" games outside the Rent until 2017. This is big because it's unlikely that any P5 school would want to sacrifice a home game gate to play us at a neutral site...meaning we would need to be the home team. But yeah, if we schedule Penn State at Yankee or Notre Dame at Fenway/Gillette, that would help UCONN's brand for sure.

Reaction Score
Agree that we need to schedule football games in NY/Boston. Unfortunately, our State leg says we can't play any "home" games outside the Rent until 2017. This is big because it's unlikely that any P5 school would want to sacrifice a home game gate to play us at a neutral site...meaning we would need to be the home team. But yeah, if we schedule Penn State at Yankee or Notre Dame at Fenway/Gillette, that would help UCONN's brand for sure.

I don't think those venues or teams would do it. The venues are small by big time FB standards and the opponents are already known to be big draws in the markets. We would need to somehow entice a USC, a B1G team other than PSU or RU, or mid tier SEC team to play there. Something like the long postponed TN game. 70,000 for that type of team would go a long way towards getting any conference's attention. Don't call it a home game. Give it a silly name like Husky Igloo Series, after all UConn has as much to do with igloos as ND has with shamrocks.

Reaction Score
Thank you. This BC internet officer must have a hyper-sensitive filter anytime someone says anything about Boston College or the city of Boston. I made a comment that I would like to see UCONN schedule games like Duke at TD Bank (similar to what they did against Gonzaga a few years ago) and he wanted to play "reach" semantic games. Showcasing the strength of UCONN's brand (just like every other school does when they schedule neutral site games) in various cities in the northeast to help elevate our CR profile is against BC troll law. BC fans like to think of UCONN as being an insulated fanbase located within a 10 mile radius of campus. That just isn't true. UCONN just outsold Duke in what is widely considered "their turf" and instead of acknowledging that UCONN's brand is strong, we get the tired ol' BC claim that every fan in attendance came from Storrs and there aren't any UCONN alumni living in and around NYC/NJ (or Boston or anywhere other than Connecticut).

I didn't make any BC comment in my original post. The original post that he was responding to was about scheduling games in New York and Boston. So let's get back to the main point: what other school could move as many tickets as UCONN at IZOD, Barclay's, MSG and TD Bank? None. That's who.

The only one who could come close to generating as many ticket sales in New York and Boston as UConn can is ND. The have a very loyal alumni network many of whom are from the Northeast and a good chunk have the disposable money to go games.

Reaction Score
You guys are not immune to this either. I seem to recall a 2011 MBB National Championship where the UConn student section for the semi Final was empty and Houston and Rice fans were given tickets to the Final to fill in those seats for television.

They key point here is that they were STUDENT tickets. How many students, especially from a state university, have the extra money lying around to fly 1,800 miles (or drive) and then spend 3 nights at a marked-up hotel due to the Final 4? For that amount of money, one could probably get the entire dorm drunk. Plus, since these are UConn student and not UNC basketball and football players, they are expected to be in class those 2 or 3 days. If I remember the package correctly, student tickets, due to their prices, could not be re-sold on the open market. They have to go to students. I do believe the UConn general ticket allotment was sold out along with the women's Final 4 allotment.

PS - After last year, I bet MSG would welcome UConn back for another NCAA tournament and any time.

Reaction Score
They key point here is that they were STUDENT tickets. How many students, especially from a state university, have the extra money lying around to fly 1,800 miles (or drive) and then spend 3 nights at a marked-up hotel due to the Final 4? For that amount of money, one could probably get the entire dorm drunk. Plus, since these are UConn student and not UNC basketball and football players, they are expected to be in class those 2 or 3 days. If I remember the package correctly, student tickets, due to their prices, could not be re-sold on the open market. They have to go to students. I do believe the UConn general ticket allotment was sold out along with the women's Final 4 allotment.

PS - After last year, I bet MSG would welcome UConn back for another NCAA tournament and any time.

A BC guy heckling us for our attendance at our third national championship in 12 seasons. Hmm.

There's a joke hidden in there somewhere, I think.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about the regional draws of New York City re live tickets...

But...For the 2014 football season, Boston College was ranked #37 in average viewers nationally (2.05 million). Which was better than Clemson, Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia...and non ACC teams like Cal, Purdue, Northwestern, Arizona and Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, Oregon State etc.

Not great...but they are carrying their weight better than some of their conference brethren.

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
They key point here is that they were STUDENT tickets. How many students, especially from a state university, have the extra money lying around to fly 1,800 miles (or drive) and then spend 3 nights at a marked-up hotel due to the Final 4? For that amount of money, one could probably get the entire dorm drunk. Plus, since these are UConn student and not UNC basketball and football players, they are expected to be in class those 2 or 3 days. If I remember the package correctly, student tickets, due to their prices, could not be re-sold on the open market. They have to go to students. I do believe the UConn general ticket allotment was sold out along with the women's Final 4 allotment. PS - After last year, I bet MSG would welcome UConn back for another NCAA tournament and any time.
The other three schools in the 2011 final four subsidized their student tickets. Uconn did not and this was why the low attendance. Uconn subsidized a student bus trip to Dallas for the 2014 final four and the student section was full. How many BC students made it to their last final four?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Programming alert -

We're about ten days from two dozen BC fan posts claiming that they usually wear dark blue to football games and it is, in fact, their unofficial school color.

That's their color for bowl games. For home games its silver.

Reaction Score

But...For the 2014 football season, Boston College was ranked #37 in average viewers nationally (2.05 million). Which was better than Clemson, Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia...and non ACC teams like Cal, Purdue, Northwestern, Arizona and Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, Oregon State etc.

Not great...but they are carrying their weight better than some of their conference brethren.
Who around here gives a rat's ass? Give us BC's conference money and schedule and we will squash them like a bug. On the field, in TV ratings, attendance-wise, whatever.

Reaction Score
A BC guy heckling us for our attendance at our third national championship in 12 seasons. Hmm.

There's a joke hidden in there somewhere, I think.

Yeah that takes some balls. I honestly feel sorry for him. He is a passionate fan but has no forum to discuss on. He has a handful of others like him that are wandering the internet looking for a conversation about BC.

Reaction Score
Yeah that takes some balls. I honestly feel sorry for him. He is a passionate fan but has no forum to discuss on. He has a handful of others like him that are wandering the internet looking for a conversation about BC.

Unfortunately, he's come to the right (and only) place.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Congratulations - you managed to have great TV ratings in a year you played USC and FSU. Had nothing to do with the competition...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well, I guess he lost on Jeopardy, Queue up Weird Al
Yes, I suppose the 5 seconds buzzer has long since gone off.

30,479 was the total attendance at Gillette Stadium "away" vs. UMass in September. It's a whole 29 miles from the Golden Dome to Patriot Place.

Reaction Score
This thread is priceless. The Pinstripe Bowl is currently the third most expensive ticket on the secondary market, trailing only the two national semi final games, and there are some posters actually arguing that BC Fans are feeding this? LOL. Will they have a presence at the game? Yes. Will it still look like a PSU Home Game? Survey says yes.

While BC did sell out their allotment of tickets, how many of them are ending in the hands of PSU Fans at 3 to 4X face? PSU could scrimmage itself on Dec 27th and still sell out dinky Yankee Stadium. How would the turn out for this game be if another 6-6 B1G Team not named Penn State were the opponent? They would probably be giving away tickets with every purchase of a large coffee and donut at Boston Area Duncan Donuts.

Reaction Score
Well....Notre Dame vs Rutgers in the 2013 Pinstripe had mediocre attendance...more attended the Rutgers Russell Athletic Bowl appearance vs Virginia Tech.

I guess the Irish don't pull as many as I thought

Dooley

Reaction Score
fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-NYCTV-blog480.png

Reaction Score
Data from the infamous google or Facebook "Like" methodology?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Data from the infamous google or Facebook "Like" methodology?

Yup. It's the only sample we have but a sample nonetheless.

Point is, Penn State's fanbase is huge. They show up in huge numbers every where they go, including the Rose Bowl. There is absolutely zero chance that Yankee Stadium will be a 50/50 split between maroon and gold vs blue and white. Zero.

Reaction Score

Hey Dooley. I think the numbers you provided have helped us get a good handle on the likely PSU-BC attendance split for this weekend's game.

Assuming your numbers are correct (are they based on Facebook "Likes"?), and assuming the allotment each school got for their alums and students was 15k apiece, and based on the PB announcement that both schools sold out their allotment and the rest of the tickets were sold in and around NYC, and finally, based on your numbers which showed that PSU has 186K NYC fans and BC has 61K NYC fans (3-1 in favor of PSU), here is a reasonable projection, IMO:

Yankee Stadium Capacity: 54,000
PSU: 33,000 fans (15,000 allotment plus 18,000 of the remaining 24,000)
BC: 21,000 fans (15,000 allotment plus 6,000 of the remaining 24,000)

Likely PSU-BC split: 61% - 39%. I will take that! Your numbers were helpful! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom