Colorado in Big XII | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Colorado in Big XII

Reaction Score
It would make sense to let ASU and Arizona think there's limited, uneven slots left—1 or 3. Puts pressure on them while making it clear B12 is still looking to add.

That's my hope.
In Yormark we trust!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They have four. So does Utah. Both have one NC. UA has 11 elite 8's. They are likely to be Top 25 year after year.

Utah isn't a little brother to anyone in Utah, it's clearly the lead university and has the most fans and best football team. BYU is not > Utah in any metric.

I said it before and I still believe it, if the Big XII could have added Pac schools, BYU, Houston, UCF and Cinci wouldn't be there. That said, the Pac is failing in part because the Big XII was aggressive with those moves and got a good TV deal.

I think UConn has a great case here. I think Yormark sees it. But let's not pretend that it's not a lot closer than your post suggested. Everyone saying we'd be clearly > Utah isn't being realistic. Fortunately, I think Utah wants to stay and will use what leverage they have by doing so to get Utah State in.

Utah has 5 tournament appearances in the last 20 years. Their one championship was EIGHTY YEARS AGO, during a global war where virtually every able bodied male between 18 and 25 was off saving the world. Are you really going to beat a drum for Utah's 1944 Championship?

BYU is greater than Utah by every metric. Utah is to BYU what San Diego State is to UCLA. They are nearby, but one is a national university with a big following, and one just happens to have a good location.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Something bad happened to Nelson in Utah.

Nope. I actually like Utah, and have spent a fair amount of time there over the years. That market can realistically support one major conference program, and BYU is that program.

Reaction Score
Nope. I actually like Utah, and have spent a fair amount of time there over the years. That market can realistically support one major conference program, and BYU is that program.

I don’t think the Big 12 wants to double down on Utah.

Also I think that if the ACC would add a skid mark like Louisville then they would add WVU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t think the Big 12 wants to double down on Utah.

Also I think that if the ACC would add a skid mark like Louisville then they would add WVU.

Liked for "skid mark".

I don't think the ACC would ever make a mistake like Louisville again. That program has been a total embarrassment to the league since it joined, and it was completely predictable. That was such a massive mistake that I bet it is the last time FSU will ever get to control the expansion process.

Reaction Score
Liked for "skid mark".

I don't think the ACC would ever make a mistake like Louisville again. That program has been a total embarrassment to the league since it joined, and it was completely predictable. That was such a massive mistake that I bet it is the last time FSU will ever get to control the expansion process.

I don’t think WVU is as scandalous as Lewisville though.

But in truth at this point. Unless the right schools moved to the ACC it would be trading down to leave the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Liked for "skid mark".

If the OBE catholic schools were right about anything it's that the decision makers at the high profile football schools cause all the problems. If one day they do all break off and make their own league it's going to be so dysfunctional that theyll probably just end up killing interest in the sport.

Reaction Score
Unless you're putting a lot of weight on a 1944 championship, they don't have "a lot of success in their history." They have 3 pre-1967 Final Fours and one after. That Final Four is a quarter of a century ago. It's also their last E8. They've been to the NCAAs just twice in the last 14 years. It's a pretty moribund school, generic in its success relative to other P5s
This is another example of perception. We live in a crazy world where facts and numbers no longer have meaning. If enough people say such and such school is a great basketball school, eventually everyone just believes it. If enough people call us trash, eventually everyone just believes it. That's how this all works. If actual athletic department success was worth anything, we'd have our pick of suitors.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Why? Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa etc. all support two P5 programs and none of them have the built in audience of a religious following.

I don't like the idea of Utah but in the spirit of arguing over meaningless stuff, let's have at it.

Reaction Score
Utah has 5 tournament appearances in the last 20 years. Their one championship was EIGHTY YEARS AGO, during a global war where virtually every able bodied male between 18 and 25 was off saving the world. Are you really going to beat a drum for Utah's 1944 Championship?

BYU is greater than Utah by every metric. Utah is to BYU what San Diego State is to UCLA. They are nearby, but one is a national university with a big following, and one just happens to have a good location.

Utah...in football has gone 12-0 and 13-0 and went on to beat 12-2 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Last season they beat 11 win Sourherrn Cal, twice.

In the last four seasons, Utah as had an 11 win season and two 10 win seasons...in the last 9 seasons (discounting 2020)....Utah has won 9 or more games in 7 of them.

A basketball conference will compare on basketball metrics, but football prowess will weigh in as well.

Reaction Score
Utah...in football has gone 12-0 and 13-0 and went on to beat 12-2 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Last season they beat 11 win Sourherrn Cal, twice.

In the last four seasons, Utah as had an 11 win season and two 10 win seasons...in the last 9 seasons (discounting 2020)....Utah has won 9 or more games in 7 of them.

A basketball conference will compare on basketball metrics, but football prowess will weigh in as well.
So in recent history they have as many national championships in football as UConn does?

Reaction Score

They have been above average since 2003. Very good, but not great. They've also put those numbers up in weak conferences.

Reaction Score
Mora will be here as long as the commitment to football is there and a path to P5. If we get into the Big XII, watch us take off and surprise people
I think we could very well surprise people this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Utah is the most beautiful state in the US if one is into that sort of stuff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why? Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa etc. all support two P5 programs and none of them have the built in audience of a religious following.

I don't like the idea of Utah but in the spirit of arguing over meaningless stuff, let's have at it.

Few things more Boneyard than UConn fans arguing why barely P5 programs deserve to be in a P5 conference before UConn.

Washington and Oregon had 2 P5 programs, although that may soon end.

Reaction Score
It shouldn’t matter what State the school is from or what conference the school is from. Utah built their program the right way coming up through the MWC. They abused Alabama in a BCS bowl and then earned a PAC 12 invite.

I actually really like their style of play. The idea that they could get a reversal of fortune because of this is why I really just sort of hate the way college sports is now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Few things more Boneyard than UConn fans arguing why barely P5 programs deserve to be in a P5 conference before UConn.

Washington and Oregon had 2 P5 programs, although that may soon end.

So, in other words you just made it up based on nothing.

Got it.

Reaction Score
Utah is a legit program that earned its way into the BCS/P5 cartels with their FB results BUT they didn't get into the club until Orrin Hatch started a lawsuit against the BCS which would have benefitted all schools outside BCS if he went through with it. When Utah got the call up he dropped it because in his words ",there was no longer a point to it". Its the only time i can point to that a politician proved effective in these things.

Reaction Score
Why? Historically BYU has been the better FB/sports brand. BYU had some awesome Heisman winning QBs.

I think it’s dumb to give that much credit over ancient history. Ty Detmer must be in his 50s. Plus BYU routinely has like 24 year old sophomores or something like that.

Utah is the better program.

Reaction Score
I think it’s dumb to give that much credit over ancient history. Ty Detmer must be in his 50s. Plus BYU routinely has like 24 year old sophomores or something like that.

Utah is the better program.
I'm relatively certain that, in a world where there was a do-over draft, the B12 would take Utah over BYU every single time.

I'm not sure they want both schools for a variety of reasons, but as much as I've been knocking them relative to UConn, Utah is a good program.

Reaction Score
I'm relatively certain that, in a world where there was a do-over draft, the B12 would take Utah over BYU every single time.

I'm not sure they want both schools for a variety of reasons, but as much as I've been knocking them relative to UConn, Utah is a good program.

We should have a thread with a do over draft and figure out which current P5s would be left hanging.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom