Colorado in Big XII | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Colorado in Big XII

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The snobbery hurt, but the solution was more schools in central and midwestern timezones for the PAC.
This. I think they have to get their games earlier in the day. Not too many candidates, but Memphis and SMU might be the winners.

Reaction Score
This. I think they have to get their games earlier in the day. Not too many candidates, but Memphis and SMU might be the winners.
Memphis in the PAC? Can't see Stanford or Cal going for that. Maybe Tulane.

Reaction Score
Memphis in the PAC? Can't see Stanford or Cal going for that. Maybe Tulane.
Yup. Those schools aren't going for Memphis. They may go for SMU and Tulane. Rice? lol. None of these schools make a whole lot of sense for the PAC, which is the problem. To think, OU and Texas were there for the taking...

Reaction Score
If PAC values academics and the Central Time Zone, their only options outside of SMU are Tulane and Rice. In the Mountain Time Zone, Air Force is the only high academic university I can think of that the PAC might go for if sticking strictly to high academic standards.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Streaming is the future but I doubt it will pay schools in the pac 12 what linear used to.

Streaming is not there yet, but it is not far off. Every conference's current TV contract is probably its high point for a linear contract. The ESPN revenue model of getting people that didn't want to pay for ESPN to pay for ESPN is finished in the next few years. Even cable providers are going to make ESPN an add-on. ESPN has to go to a full subscription model, like Paramout+ or Netflix, but without a huge library to get people to subscribe.

I don't know how ESPN is going to pay for the contracts it has currently signed, much less new ones. The schools under a linear contract umbrella are basically going to have ESPN finance their transition to streaming. Schools like UConn or going to have to come out of pocket.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but who else they going to bring in?
No clue, but believe Colorado State’s roughly on par academically with Wazzu and Oregon State. Lose UC with sublime support, ironically add even less supported CSU which was previously rumored by some of the many blow-hard bloggers as a Big XII candidate. Crazy world.

Reaction Score
Could’ve just stopped here. 100% agree- the amount of “snobbery” is absurd related to PAC12 expansion.

They could’ve (maybe should’ve) easily added Boise, BYU, SDSU, and another years ago. Could’ve made a strategic move into the Central time zone. Instead, it’s all hung up on academics and snobbery.

Boise
Fresno
San Diego State

Would all be great adds to the PAC from a pure football perspective. They’re teams that actually care and have good history at the FBS level of success. Instead they will do nothing. They’re doing it to themselves.
Cal, Stanford, Oregon and Washington are going to be fine regardless of what happens with the PAC 12.

The first two are academic powerhouses where football actually takes the backseat.

The latter two are going to end up in the big 10 in a few years.

They have nothing to gain from being peers with Boise, BYU or SDSU. In fact, they'd probably lose some prestige.

Reaction Score
Reports by who? Oregon St fans?

If the Big XII takes Oregon St then this whole thing really is a farce
You guys worry too much. WSU and Oregon State are leftovers in the pac-12 and would go to the Mountain West Conference. I would worry more about Oregon and Washington going to the Big 12 over them. I know they both want the big 10 but if the Pac disbands they woud end up in the Big 12 as a fall back.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
cute to see all the capping for xavier. i get it guys. they are going to be your conference mate for the next 50 years.

big 12 is never happening. we're not interested in your pitiful university.
The Office Lol GIF

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
You guys worry too much. WSU and Oregon State are leftovers in the pac-12 and would go to the Mountain West Conference. I would worry more about Oregon and Washington going to the Big 12 over them. I know they both want the big 10 but if the Pac disbands they woud end up in the Big 12 as a fall back.
The other way around. Whatever schools are left in the PAC 12, even if only two or three, will invite mountain west or AAC schools to fill the league. They’re the bigger brand and already have AQ status (might not last but that’s how it goes).

Reaction Score
all of this makes it seem like the offers to UH and UCF were premature. I don't think anyone else was going to poach those schools before this Pac12 development went down. IMO, Any one of the new 4 schools could have been UConn easily, save maybe cincinnati due to their recent CFP appearance. BYU has a regional argument, but there's no way UH and UCF add more value than what UConn would have. houston/Texas is already big 12 country, and orlando?

happy for them, surely. It's just getting frustrating and sad for this fan. no one wants us.

In light of the big 12 developments, I am starting to get a little nervous about the prospects of Jim Mora staying here, and continuing the difficult task of turning this ship around permanently. I sincerely hope he is here for the rest of his career, but i wonder if he's having doubts, due to his time ticking. Technically if he bailed on us he could definitely pursue his last "big run" of his career somewhere else. But again, those are things only he and Dave Benedict know.

it's clear to me that the big 12 schools still don't believe that we've turned the corner. Now more than ever, we could seriously use a 9 or 10-win season under our belt. Please UConn, kick butt this year. :(

Reaction Score
If PAC values academics and the Central Time Zone, their only options outside of SMU are Tulane and Rice. .
The PAC needs to value schools that are relevant and will keep it afloat. It no longer has the luxury to turn away a low academic school.

Problem is, who wants the PAC? I’d be wary of leaving my own conference to join a PAC that could dissolve tomorrow.

Reaction Score
all of this makes it seem like the offers to UH and UCF were premature. I don't think anyone else was going to poach those schools before this Pac12 development went down. IMO, Any one of the new 4 schools could have been UConn easily, save maybe cincinnati due to their recent CFP appearance. BYU has a regional argument, but there's no way UH and UCF add more value than what UConn would have. houston/Texas is already big 12 country, and orlando?

happy for them, surely. It's just getting frustrating and sad for this fan. no one wants us.

In light of the big 12 developments, I am starting to get a little nervous about the prospects of Jim Mora staying here, and continuing the difficult task of turning this ship around permanently. I sincerely hope he is here for the rest of his career, but i wonder if he's having doubts, due to his time ticking. Technically if he bailed on us he could definitely pursue his last "big run" of his career somewhere else. But again, those are things only he and Dave Benedict know.

it's clear to me that the big 12 schools still don't believe that we've turned the corner. Now more than ever, we could seriously use a 9 or 10-win season under our belt. Please UConn, kick butt this year. :(
Mora isn’t going anywhere. If he were in his late 40s/early 50s then….maybe.

Reaction Score
The PAC needs to value schools that are relevant and will keep it afloat. It no longer has the luxury to turn away a low academic school.

Problem is, who wants the PAC? I’d be wary of leaving my own conference to join a PAC that could dissolve tomorrow.
If you're SDSU or Fresno, better to hop into the conference with more well-resourced schools like Stanford/Oregon, etc. while you can. You essentially can jettison the dregs of your old conference and then help pick the best schools to replace them.

Reaction Score
Mora isn’t going anywhere. If he were in his late 40s/early 50s then….maybe.
i believe this as well, but i do wonder how much runway he has personally, to continue this difficult work as an independent. The good thing is that this is pretty much a zero-pressure job for him. We're grateful for whatever comes out of this turnaround, given where we are and where we're coming from. He would have a much shorter leash, pretty much anywhere else in the country. And at his age, why willingly put yourself through that stress? you have nothing to prove to anyone.

my other concern was $$ for staff - not even for him. i suspect he's good on the money, so that's not his personal driver. But you can't say the same for coordinators and younger staff, who are fresh up/comers for whom money is a massive driver. P5 money answered that concern for recruiting coaching talent. Retaining is not so much a concern, because assistant coaches come and go for career reasons. But it's the NEXT guy who you need to worry about convincing. So - indirectly, $$ matters to him, albeit not for personal gain.

what a complicated equation.

all that to say, I agree deep down that he's a keeper. but you never know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom