Chopping block | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Chopping block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
if Charlton hasn't been let go yet, it looks like he will be staying...

I think you gotta hire a QBs coach at least. Charlton right now is the AHC/OC/QBs coach. That is a lot of hats. A qb coach will allow him to focus on overall offense, while having a fresh set of eyes on offense/play calling with a new offensive coach in the building.

Reaction Score
if Charlton hasn't been let go yet, it looks like he will be staying...

I think you gotta hire a QBs coach at least. Charlton right now is the AHC/OC/QBs coach. That is a lot of hats. A qb coach will allow him to focus on overall offense, while having a fresh set of eyes on offense/play calling with a new offensive coach in the building.
Agreed

Reaction Score
What coach in our program is getting fired? Anyone have any insight?
I’ll tell you who’s looking good, John Marinelli, the TE’s coach. It would not surprise me if Marinelli is the play caller interim if Charlton is canned. I honestly don’t know if anyone besides NC is getting fired, and it would not surprise me if no one is. I will say that Dalton Hilliard, the defensive backs coach, has had some explaining to do, but him and Mora are tight, and also Mora might share some of the blame on the way opposing QB’s picked apart the secondary. Is Mazzone still on the payroll? If Charlton is given his walking papers, Mazzone could step in as OC, until they find a permanent guy. On finding a DC, all Benedict has to do is call Todd Orlando and give him what he wants to come back to Storrs, and maybe dangle the HC job after Mora quits.

Reaction Score
I’ll tell you who’s looking good, John Marinelli, the TE’s coach. It would not surprise me if Marinelli is the play caller interim if Charlton is canned. I honestly don’t know if anyone besides NC is getting fired, and it would not surprise me if no one is. I will say that Dalton Hilliard, the defensive backs coach, has had some explaining to do, but him and Mora are tight, and also Mora might share some of the blame on the way opposing QB’s picked apart the secondary. Is Mazzone still on the payroll? If Charlton is given his walking papers, Mazzone could step in as OC, until they find a permanent guy. On finding a DC, all Benedict has to do is call Todd Orlando and give him what he wants to come back to Storrs, and maybe dangle the HC job after Mora quits.
Why do we need an interim OC when there are no games?

Reaction Score
I just don’t get why a kid from CT would choose to play for Penn State, Michigan, or Alabama when they can play at UConn.

If Mora can’t get these kids to stay, next coach up!

Sarcasm meter should be flashing

Well, Okay…. Let us not forget that the yardstick for UConn football is not Penn State, Michigan or Alabama.

We finished in the bottom 10 of ALL Football Division 1 programs. We were bad this year, real bad…

So let’s not pretend this is about stealing a recruit from Michigan, this is about becoming a Top 50 program where we complete with the likes of Syracuse, NC State, Fresno State and have winning seasons.

I agree we may lose a few to better programs but let’s not overlook the midseason defections which is really about coaching, not being lured away be greener pastures.

If there is one thing we can all do this offseason, keep it real.

Charlton needs to go.
Hire a new OC
Hire a DC
Moras needs to ZIP it and become a better recruiter and coach

Reaction Score
Why do we need an interim OC when there are no games?
Why do you need a doctor when you’re not sick? Why do we need a navy when there are no wars? I also might start out and ask you if you think Charlton can recruit?

Reaction Score
Marinelli is not the TE coach, that's Christian Pace... Marinelli is the pass game coordinator. And Mazzone was never on staff, he was a consultant for a few games.

And the team already has a DC on staff, but he's called the special assistant to the HC. And while John can't be on the field coaching, I'm confident that he has had involvement in the defense.

There just aren't enough spots on a coaching staff to have an exclusive OC or DC without someone taking on double duty as a position coach as well. At Georgia, their OC is also QB coach and their DC is also Inside LBs. At Michigan, their OC is also OL coach.

Marinelli is really the odd man out at UConn on the offensive side of the ball as he has no position group. If Mora was to take the QBs away from Charlton, Marinelli makes the most sense to take them over.

ESLNKY03

ESLNKY
Reaction Score
Marinelli is not the TE coach, that's Christian Pace... Marinelli is the pass game coordinator. And Mazzone was never on staff, he was a consultant for a few games.

And the team already has a DC on staff, but he's called the special assistant to the HC. And while John can't be on the field coaching, I'm confident that he has had involvement in the defense.

There just aren't enough spots on a coaching staff to have an exclusive OC or DC without someone taking on double duty as a position coach as well. At Georgia, their OC is also QB coach and their DC is also Inside LBs. At Michigan, their OC is also OL coach.

Marinelli is really the odd man out at UConn on the offensive side of the ball as he has no position group. If Mora was to take the QBs away from Charlton, Marinelli makes the most sense to take them over.
Marinelli’s twitter bio has QB’s listed

Reaction Score
Marinelli’s twitter bio has QB’s listed
Interesting. Unfortunately, if you search UConn football coaching staff and click the first link it sends you to one page with a list. But if you click more and select coaches, it sends you to a different page. And those two pages don't match up.

Reaction Score

The UConn Football website lists Marinelli as “Tight Ends Coach” so I guess we’ll just leave it at that. When you click on that it also lists him as pass game coordinator. Christian Pace is listed no where on the UConn Coaches website.

As for Mazzone, Benedict announced two years ago that Mazzone has been hired as a consultant. My only question was is he still on the payroll?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The UConn Football website lists Marinelli as “Tight Ends Coach” so I guess we’ll just leave it at that. When you click on that it also lists him as pass game coordinator. Christian Pace is listed no where on the UConn Coaches website.
1701269125044.png

Reaction Score
I am planning on donating a bit to the collectives for football and basketball. Football $ will be 100% contingent on turning over Charlton + other staff members. It will be a dealbreaker for me if the special teams coach or Charlton are on the staff again. I won't support a program that won't support itself.

Not that I'm made of money and this statement really matters, but it's the principle of the thing. We cannot accept below mediocrity--there is more than enough resources in this program.

Reaction Score

As for Mazzone, Benedict announced two years ago that Mazzone has been hired as a consultant. My only question was is he still on the payroll?

Mazzone is the OC of the Pittsburgh Maulers of the USFL.

If you're only going to do half the research, why even bother?

Reaction Score

It’s weird one 2023 UConn football website lists Marinelli as the TE’s coach and doesn’t list Pace at all, but if you google Pace he’s listed as TE’s coach.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member