Chopping block | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Chopping block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
If we don't have a new OC next season it's going to be really hard to care about the program.
If Charlton is back you have to assume he's back because he's listened to feedback and has indicated a willingness to grow. If we start the season going east/west instead of north/south, that will let us know there has been no progress. But, assuming he's back, I do think you have to give the benefit of the doubt.

What's surprised me has been that we haven't made a move at special teams. We couldn't field punts -- sometimes kick offs -- all season. We had that XP blocked against Utah St and we botched another one at the end of the UMass game. It's another unit where it feels like no progress was made and the errors have been so visible.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Charlton is back you have to assume he's back because he's listened to feedback and has indicated a willingness to grow.
Or that the administration doesn't care enough about the program to pony up for someone better. If they don't, why should we?

Agree regarding special teams. Who knows they may be talking to people or are waiting for their preferred candidates to finish their season.

Reaction Score
Football $ will be 100% contingent on turning over Charlton + other staff members.
Considering the season ended 4 days ago, if it was going to happen I would guess it would have already happened.

The buyouts are probably too high (relatively speaking) as others have indicated.

Reaction Score
Considering the season ended 4 days ago, if it was going to happen I would guess it would have already happened.

The buyouts are probably too high (relatively speaking) as others have indicated.

I agree. I also won't be donating any money to the football program. I'll come to a couplefew games as I always do, but that's it.

There is no excuse for Charlton to still have a job IMO. Money or not. We'd be better off with a position coach making play calls or just rolling a set of dice when all else fails. People being paid 500k a year need to either perform or move the hell along.

Reaction Score
Well, Okay…. Let us not forget that the yardstick for UConn football is not Penn State, Michigan or Alabama.

We finished in the bottom 10 of ALL Football Division 1 programs. We were bad this year, real bad…

So let’s not pretend this is about stealing a recruit from Michigan, this is about becoming a Top 50 program where we complete with the likes of Syracuse, NC State, Fresno State and have winning seasons.

I agree we may lose a few to better programs but let’s not overlook the midseason defections which is really about coaching, not being lured away be greener pastures.

If there is one thing we can all do this offseason, keep it real.

Charlton needs to go.
Hire a new OC
Hire a DC
Moras needs to ZIP it and become a better recruiter and coach
So apparently your sarcasm meter wasnt flashing…. You should have it checked.

I agree with what you’re saying BTW

Reaction Score
If Charlton is back you have to assume he's back because he's listened to feedback and has indicated a willingness to grow. If we start the season going east/west instead of north/south, that will let us know there has been no progress. But, assuming he's back, I do think you have to give the benefit of the doubt.

What's surprised me has been that we haven't made a move at special teams. We couldn't field punts -- sometimes kick offs -- all season. We had that XP blocked against Utah St and we botched another one at the end of the UMass game. It's another unit where it feels like no progress was made and the errors have been so visible.
If charlton had any ability to change he had 12 chances to begin to work in different schemes and retool and he didn’t. You can’t be an OC if your offense struggles to score more than 14 points. He must go as a matter of simple performance accountability.

Reaction Score
Mora may be concerned about who he can get if he fires Charlton. He may be poking around a little before deciding whether or not to retain him.

Reaction Score
Mora may be concerned about who he can get if he fires Charlton. He may be poking around a little before deciding whether or not to retain him.
Fire Charlton now and reach out to Joe Morehead, and give what he wants to come back to UConn. Say what you want about Morehead but he’s one of the most creative OC’s out there. He might be UConn’s HC right now if it hadn’t of been for PP. Get him before PennState does and promise him he’s the HC once Mora calls it quits. The guy is a terrific recruiter too.

Reaction Score
Fire Charlton now and reach out to Joe Morehead, and give what he wants to come back to UConn. Say what you want about Morehead but he’s one of the most creative OC’s out there. He might be UConn’s HC right now if it hadn’t of been for PP. Get him before PennState does and promise him he’s the HC once Mora calls it quits. The guy is a terrific recruiter too.
Akron with Morehead:
278.6 ypg
16.2 points per game

UConn with Charlton:
326.9 ypg
19.1 PPG

Reaction Score
Akron with Morehead:
278.6 ypg
16.2 points per game

UConn with Charlton:
326.9 ypg
19.1 PPG

They are both atrocious. But one was arguably our best OC ever and an SEC HC.

The other was mediocre HC at Maine.

Reaction Score
Akron with Morehead:
278.6 ypg
16.2 points per game

UConn with Charlton:
326.9 ypg
19.1 PPG
Numbers don’t mean everything, they have had some very close OT losses to some really good teams, including losing by 2 to Indiana in OT.

Reaction Score
They are both atrocious. But one was arguably our best OC ever and an SEC HC.

The other was mediocre HC at Maine.
You people don’t have a clue. I say get JM before Penn State does.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall was arguably our best HC ever and a B1G HC, how'd that go?

Pretty good the first time around, I will grudgingly admit:

I can’t people people are defending Charlton. We did not have an FBS level offense.

Reaction Score
You people don’t have a clue. I say get JM before Penn State does.

The numbers are atrocious.

You think we can afford to fire Charlton and hire Moorhead away from Akron.

Talk about clueless….

Reaction Score
Numbers don’t mean everything, they have had some very close OT losses to some really good teams, including losing by 2 to Indiana in OT.
Yeah, they barely lost to the powerhouses Bowling Green and Northern Illinois by a combined score of 96 to 28. And then that Indiana one, they were really good this year with two FBS wins, one of the being a horrific Akron team. They got that win against the powerhouse 1-11 Kent state team team though.

Reaction Score
We had some close losses too!

Reaction Score
Yeah, they barely lost to the powerhouses Bowling Green and Northern Illinois by a combined score of 96 to 28. And then that Indiana one, they were really good this year with two FBS wins, one of the being a horrific Akron team. They got that win against the powerhouse 1-11 Kent state team team though.
You can cherry pick all you want to prove a stupid point. Moorhead is light years ahead of Charlton, there are rumors already that he’s headed back to Penn State anyway. Be my guest and call Penn State and tell them the numbers are atrocious, maybe they don’t know. Ok Dizzy.

Reaction Score
You can cherry pick all you want to prove a stupid point. Moorhead is light years ahead of Charlton, there are rumors already that he’s headed back to Penn State anyway. Be my guest and call Penn State and tell them the numbers are atrocious, maybe they don’t know. Ok Dizzy.
Must be as QB Coach because it doesn’t look like it’s as OC:

Reaction Score
sry if stupid comment, but would bob chesney be an option? i was really impressed by him in 2021 when holy cross beat us. pathetic performance by the boys and RE2.0, but huge respect gained for bob. idk if he's an offense or defense guy, but if he is available, curious about his candidacy for either coordinator position, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom