Chattanooga beats TN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chattanooga beats TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People still talk of the series.... and of course that is because of its tremendous appeal and its part in raising the spectacle of WCBB..... a good bit of it was Pat vs Geno, but it was mostly about the basketball......

My own opinion has always been..... sure if the series continued that would be ok...... but nothing can continue without an apology from UT at trying to dismantle our program..... which they will not do..... we should try to be as accommodating as they were in the early 90s...... for the good of the game play "anyone, anywhere, anytime"...... that is what great programs do...... but but but..... we are stuck with the lasting litany from our southern neighbors "you know what you did!!" though we were not proven to have done anything that they threw our way...... etc etc..... you all know the story......

But here is why I write in...... whereas the UT UC series did wonders to rally interest in the WCBB game and introduce it to many who had not yet experienced its excitement, it is a distinctly different scenario now....... Tenn is in an abyss now in their program and they have not been relevant at the top level of WCBB for at least a half dozen years now..... no Final Fours even...... everything positive in the LV program now is connected with the past glory years of Pat Summit, which is way back when..... so the marquis value from that standpoint alone is eclipsed by other prograns...... ND, Stanford, Baylor, USC now, and even it can be argued.... KY , LVile, and the like......

I would love to take issue with UT's cheating allegations, and compare the programs directly...... even count violations over the years..... it is of course unsavory...... I bring this up because at ....its base level, athletic contests between contestants have to have a modicum of respect between the schools...... and that is not there from all I have read about the UT administration..... and of course the fan base..... ""We still contend that you cheated, but we want you to play us"? No thank you...... Playing other top teams and televising them will be far more beneficial to the game of WCBB... let UT play the Chatanoogas of the world.....

I wonder what those who want the series to resume want to achieve from it? There is very little to be gained except for the nostalgia it would bring and of course to fuel the dormant and visible vitriole which exists at the 2 schools...... There simply is no point at this juncture...... I read that Holly asked, and Geno insisted on a prerequisite apology, which Tennessee will not do...... So that closes that chapter...... it is now in the cards right now..... which brings up the question...... how can the game of WCBB be elevated? Perhaps through the Maggie Dixon tournament.... at MSG, biggest venue in the country, and have the top 4 teams in the country...... not 4 of the top teams, but the top 4 teams... that would be something everyone would want to see...... and would be much more exciting than men's games the same time of year..... Duke vs. South Dakota Tech in Puerto Rico in front of a raucous crowd of 200.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Observing the situation at UT from a great distance, it does seem that 1) the athletic department is in a great deal of turmoil 2) there is very little interest on the part of either the athletic department or the administration in women's sports, including basketball 3) there is no indication that things are going to change for the better. If this is indeed the case, there would be little or nothing to be gained from a resumption of the series. It was exciting while it lasted. So was roller derby.

Reaction Score
Observing the situation at UT from a great distance, it does seem that 1) the athletic department is in a great deal of turmoil 2) there is very little interest on the part of either the athletic department or the administration in women's sports, including basketball 3) there is no indication that things are going to change for the better. If this is indeed the case, there would be little or nothing to be gained from a resumption of the series. It was exciting while it lasted. So was roller derby.

Yeah and how sad is that.... just to throw all you had accomplished away and throw away the key...... UT has much to be proud of over the years..... and Hart seems to be a singularly focused football guy..... don't think he even cares about the mens hoops.... too bad

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The University of Tennessee administration seems to care less about Tennessee women's athletics than UCONN fans do.

Reaction Score
WCBB is better now even without the UConn-Tenn games. The game no longer needs Tennessee. Other programs have really stepped up over the last decade and parity is slowly working its way through the players and ranks of the coaching staffs. Who knows, in 10-20 years the top 25 might be a legitimate top 25.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What?
There's a 105 post thread on a Tennessee game on a UConn board. As ice said, we UConn fans apparently care more about the LV's than Hart.

Reaction Score
They'll just wait for Tyler to turn things around eventually.
Interesting facts pertinent to the current situation. On Volnation there are fans calling for Tyler to take over at Tennessee, apparently without realizing what is going on at Louisiana Tech. Tyler's team has lost the last two games to inferior teams, and many Tech fans are not respectful of his efforts. He seems to have acquired a new nickname - Boy Wonder.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
upload_2014-11-28_18-38-19.jpeg

Reaction Score
Tenn didn't have Harrison and that hurt, but the rest of the team didn't play spectacularly.
UTC was doing a great job of penetrating and passing to get easy baskets. I didn't watch the entire 2nd half, but I think I only saw them score 1 basket > 5 feet away.
The rest of the team didn't play "spectacularly"? I'd have to say the rest of the team didn't even play mediocrely. I'm not necessarily trying to diminish the Moc's but Tennessee was supposed to be somewhat of an elite team and with one player out of the lineup, they don't beat an unranked team?

Reaction Score
Wow - I am just seeing this story... lose to Chat? Wow. I do not believe it is the lack of recruiting here. You can take Graves, Izzy, Masssengale, Burdick, etc..... and definitely compete with the best of them for a title.. it took me a while to form a judgment in the post-Pat era, but I still contend the #1 problem is coaching.

I read all the carnivorous delight on the Summit when we lost to Stanford. and I must say I do not reciprocate that hate..... I wish the Lady Vols well..... I just think they need a big big injection of Coaching the Fundamentals 101. that is if tonight's game followed the same storyline as the 2 dozen games I have witnessed the last couple of years. Good luck to them.
I'm someone who thinks that prior to Pat Summit's illness, there were many times they underachieved as well. Either it was recruiting the wrong kind of players, who failed to buy into a team concept or an inability to be able to motive their players maybe emphasizing the wrong things in practice. It surely wasn't the ability to recruit top talent because their classes have always been highly rated, often higher than UConn's. It's who you decide to recruit or what you do what these "talented" players. Outside of the Parker years, Tennessee hasn't done a whole lot of anything, at least in the post season, for a very, very, very long time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting facts pertinent to the current situation. On Volnation there are fans calling for Tyler to take over at Tennessee, apparently without realizing what is going on at Louisiana Tech. Tyler's team has lost the last two games to inferior teams, and many Tech fans are not respectful of his efforts. He seems to have acquired a new nickname - Boy Wonder.
Maybe "Boy Blunder" might be a better super hero name?!!

Reaction Score
Oh wow. Hopefully they have a replay of this game on the SEC network. I have to watch this one.

Reaction Score
Oh wow. Hopefully they have a replay of this game on the SEC network. I have to watch this one.

It wasnt an espn/sec net game. Was carried by UTC on their website.

Reaction Score
There's a 105 post thread on a Tennessee game on a UConn board. As ice said, we UConn fans apparently care more about the LV's than Hart.
Oh, I read that wrong; sounded like our fans didn't care about our team.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really know nothing about Tyler as a coach, but what TN needs and has needed for a long time is a coach who actually knows how to teach a good offensive system and how to teach defense. All those years with Pat may have taught motivation, but unless he spent his college and post college time really learning defensive and offensive systems and how to teach them, he will not succeed in the modern world of WCBB.

As many coaches have complained in recent years HS kids are playing too many games both in school and during the AAU season and spending too little time practicing as a team as opposed to training on individual skills. That means college coaches, even those who recruit great classes spend a lot of time teaching fundamentals and team concepts. The age of the 'great motivator' with the mantra of defense and rebounds is over unless they also actually teach defense and offense. When you watch TN you see players who still subscribe to the chuck it and rebound offensive system, and who have never heard of help side defense, or channeling their assignment towards that defensive help. With superior talent that can still lead to wins, but there are now 10 +/- teams out there that at least match talent levels and some of them have far better coaches.

Reaction Score
, but unless he spent his college and post college time really learning defensive and offensive systems and how to teach them, he will not succeed in the modern world of WCBB.
Post college time. You mean all 2 yrs of it?
He got an asst job at Marquette right out of college and was there for 2 yrs before the Latech job.

Reaction Score
Why are we bashing Margo? She is a passionate Tennessee fan who supports her team in a unique way. While I do not regularly watch her videos, if she is supporting her team without belittling or bashing other teams who is she hurting to deserve such negative comments.

Also...I believe she may be a lurker on this board...if you wouldn't be willing to make these comments to her face, I don't think you ought to be making them here.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why are we bashing Margo? She is a passionate Tennessee fan who supports her team in a unique way. While I do not regularly watch her videos, if she is supporting her team without belittling or bashing other teams who is she hurting to deserve such negative comments.

Also...I believe she may be a lurker on this board...if you wouldn't be willing to make these comments to her face, I don't think you ought to be making them here.

Who is bashing Margo? Margo is liked here for her passion and she does know her basketball and I find much of her analysis of Tenn games I have seen to be spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom