Chattanooga beats TN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chattanooga beats TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tenn didn't have Harrison and that hurt, but the rest of the team didn't play spectacularly.
UTC was doing a great job of penetrating and passing to get easy baskets. I didn't watch the entire 2nd half, but I think I only saw them score 1 basket > 5 feet away.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The Mocs missed a ton of bunnies and got some very bad calls.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Mocs win 67-63!

emoji hands.jpg

Reaction Score
One thing I'm thankful for on the eve of the holiday: that Warlick is not our coach. Say what you want about Geno's ability in close games, but Tennessee is terrible at recruiting team players and/or Xs and Os.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Thanks Choke. Oh what a Happy Thanksgiving this will be. Tenn has to drop at least 3 spots. Texas A&M Texas (best Stanford). Tenns Harrison is out with an injury however Chatty isn't ranked. Bad Loss for Tenn. Lack of discipline, poor defense, and no body stepped up to score. Tenn looked completely lost out there tonite.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Lively discussion on their free site tonight
Murder in their hearts.
Makes the boneyard seem like a bunch of sissies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yeah, they ain't happy over yonder. Cain't say as how I blame em.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thanks Choke. Oh what a Happy Thanksgiving this will be. Tenn has to drop at least 3 spots. Texas A&M Texas (best Stanford). Tenns Harrison is out with an injury however Chatty isn't ranked. Bad Loss for Tenn. Lack of discipline, poor defense, and no body stepped up to score. Tenn looked completely lost out there tonite.

Only 3 spots?

Reaction Score
Out of the top 10 after that debacle. Worst first half of basketball I have seen from a top 10 team in a long, long time.
Tennessee recruits great players. UCONN recruits great team players. Therein lies the difference in their success over the past couple of decades.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
alexrgct said:
But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Bwahahahaaaa !! Love it

For a short week, it's been a long week. This score is just what I needed to go to bed with a little smile on my face.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
HoopsFan21 said:
Tennessee recruits great players. UCONN recruits great team players. Therein lies the difference in their success over the past couple of decades.
and Tennessee hasn't recruited anyone like Bridgette Gordon, Chamique Holdclaw, or Candace Parker in a decade. I don't say that to say, "Pat couldn't win without great players", but rather that the failure to recruit Maya Moore really, really stung. And Pat felt that sting immediately.

We'll have to see how Mercedes Russell and Diamond DeShields pan out for the LVs next season.

Reaction Score
It was an absolute debacle. TN goes down 17 before half and not one timeout was taken.
We didn't deserve to win, Chatt outplayed us in every facet of the game. JJ was the only player who appeared interested.

Reaction Score
Wow - I am just seeing this story........ lose to Chat? Wow. I do not believe it is the lack of recruiting here...... You can take Graves, Izzy, Masssengale, Burdick, etc..... and definitely compete with the best of them for a title....... it took me a while to form a judgment in the post-Pat era, but I still contend the #1 problem is coaching.

I read all the carnivorous delight on the Summit when we lost to Stanford...... and I must say I do not reciprocate that hate..... I wish the Lady Vols well..... I just think they need a big big injection of Coaching the Fundamentals 101...... that is if tonight's game followed the same storyline as the 2 dozen games I have witnessed the last couple of years...... Good luck to them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I actually disagree with this a tad - Tennessee generally recruits great athletes, and sometimes kids who dominated against lesser competition. But the problem is they don't recruit kids with high BBIQ (Courtney Ekmark for example). But then to compound the problem, Tennessee's mantra for many years has been for the guards to dribble around, make a few passes, jack up a shot (no one seems to be able to put the ball into the basket) and then GO HARD for the O-board and putback.

Tennessee was supposedly bringing their offense into the 21st century, but so far I've not seen hide nor hair of that. They even brought in Jolette Law, a failed coach from Illinois (her 4th year her team went 9-12 and her 5th year 11-19 combined record of 69-93; clearly not a winner) but the thought was that as a former HC, she'd bring a different view to Tennessee (problem is she's not Leon Barmore leaving a super successful LA Tech legacy for Baylor).

Then you've got Dean Lockwood, who was an assistant to Summitt for 8 years and has been an asst for 10. Problem is he came from Saginaw State where his record was much like Law's (64-95). And then there's Kyra Elzy - who played for the LVols for 4 years and is also ingrained in the Pat Summitt school of no offense and tough defense.

So the people they have are all either from the Pat Summitt school of coaching, or came from failed programs. Not a coaching recipe for success IMHO.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
A couple of interesting comments over at Volnation, amongst the general angst, to the effect that Holly's job is probably NOT in danger, as long as she can keep the LV in the top twenty or so, because Hart and the UT power structure in general are not interested enough in the wcbb program to shell out the bucks it would take to hire a top coach like Kim or Jeff or whoever.

Reaction Score
I actually disagree with this a tad - Tennessee generally recruits great athletes, and sometimes kids who dominated against lesser competition. But the problem is they don't recruit kids with high BBIQ (Courtney Ekmark for example). But then to compound the problem, Tennessee's mantra for many years has been for the guards to dribble around, make a few passes, jack up a shot (no one seems to be able to put the ball into the basket) and then GO HARD for the O-board and putback.

Tennessee was supposedly bringing their offense into the 21st century, but so far I've not seen hide nor hair of that. They even brought in Jolette Law, a failed coach from Illinois (her 4th year her team went 9-12 and her 5th year 11-19 combined record of 69-93; clearly not a winner) but the thought was that as a former HC, she'd bring a different view to Tennessee (problem is she's not Leon Barmore leaving a super successful LA Tech legacy for Baylor).

Then you've got Dean Lockwood, who was an assistant to Summitt for 8 years and has been an asst for 10. Problem is he came from Saginaw State where his record was much like Law's (64-95). And then there's Kyra Elzy - who played for the LVols for 4 years and is also ingrained in the Pat Summitt school of no offense and tough defense.

So the people they have are all either from the Pat Summitt school of coaching, or came from failed programs. Not a coaching recipe for success IMHO.

Yes, I agree with you here and tend to be even more critical of the overall coaching job they are doing..... just read Holly's comments.... stating the things her team was not doing and so on...... it gets to be repetitive..... and when pressure hits in the form of a loss like this..... she states the need to return to a pronounced focus of defense and rebounding......

After the last 2 or 3 years of lukewarm play and offensive non sets..... punctuated by Meaghan S and her solo floor trips and jacked up shots...... it has always been painfully obvious that there is no direction in the coaching philosophy at UT..... they have extremely accomplished high schools All Americans..... but cannot do anything with them...... I see UT fans pulling away from Holly in terms of devotion..... at least as judged from the forums...... it seems they could even benefit from a retread like Foster coaching them.

Ariel said at the start of the season that the team is going to listen to Holly and take direction this year.... but I am not so sure....

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm salivating to see what the Gamecocks do to the Vols in front of 18,000 in Columbia in late February. Tennessee had our number for a long time, but I'm glad to see those days are ending. We're also going to beat them in attendance this year, which is doubly sweet.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I am 100% on the first couple of lines. I'm not sure on the next line that they "want" the players to miss ;) so they can get the rebound.

I seriously would be shocked if their bringing in Jolette Law had anything to do with her having been the head coach at Illinois, where she was not a success. I think it had everything to do with her success as recruiting coordinator and Associate Head Coach at Rutgers for some outstanding recruiting classes and some very successful teams. They certainly didn't bring her in for offensive advice, as Illinois was as offensively challenged as Rutgers at its worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom