Chattanooga beats TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
lol-duck.gif

Reaction Score
Now folks, it's not nice to revel in the misfortunes of others, especially on Thanksgiving day.
Or is it?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Their next game against Texas is for the season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The recruiting battles between Tenn and UConn had gone on for many years. It was very competitive and the top recruits we gobbled up by both UConn and Tenn. Then came the elite class of Caroline Doty EDD and Maya Moore. From one account Caroline had attended Pats BB camp, and the Vol fans were attending EDD HS games. Maya lived in Tenn backyard and all Vol fans thought they had them in the bag. They were so cocky about getting them that they felt UConn was doomed. That didn't happen. All 3 verballed to UConn which started the beginning of the end for Tenn. Pat went out and signed a bunch of AAs. Pat and LV fans were livid accusing UConn of cheating and then the rumors started leading to the 37 page NCAA violations. Pat recruited everybody left which did not include any real point guards and ball handlers. Since then Tenn has never recovered. Pat had Harry Perretta come down to work with her team on a motion offense. That was scrapped and Tenn was looking up the polls at UConn. That view has never changed.

Tenns old philosophy of rebound rebound rebound doesn't work in todays game as parity has taken over. Tenn still has a lot of AAs and talented players. What they don't have is disciple, chemistry and a leader who runs the team with discipline and an iron hand. Last nite the Vols looked lost. They didn't run plays, they didn't stop dribble penetration, no weak side help on defense. Offensively it appeared everybody was afraid to shoot the ball and when they did they did not look confident. Yes Tenn was without Harrison their best player and a force down low however Chatty is an unranked team. A team Tenn should've easily handled. One player does not make a team however when you depend on that one player to much the other players are lost without her. You didn't see that at ND when Diggins left. You didn't see that when Maya left. Both teams continued to roll. Why is that? Its called a T.E.A.M. Anybody can recruit good players throw them on the floor, give them a basketball and tell them to go out and play. In todays world of WCBB you need to drill and drill and drill until it becomes reflexive. When your learning something you do it and do it and do it and it takes hours every day and it takes weeks sometimes months before you can do it confidently.

Tenn is to concerned about winning and not practicing and rehearsing the basic fundamentals and that takes a lot of work and a lot of time. You don't recruit players who can step in and just play because recruits lack experience at the college level and lack playing with and against great players. In HS the top recruits are usually a big fish in a little pond. In college theyre not. Before you get better you have to get worse. Which means you have to give up what you've been doing and learn the correct way to do it before you can become a winner at the next level. You have to change because the world is not gonna change. Tenn has not changed and Tenn continues to do what they did 20+ years ago and it doesn't work in this day of parity in WCBB. The Tenn fans Alums and staff don't understand this and until they do they will struggle to be a top 10 team. Tenn right now is an assemblage of players. They don't play together and they need to learn to do that. They need to be taught. When they decide to change and make a total commitment to change and stick to it they will have a chance to be a top 4 team. I gotta wonder what DD and Russell are thinking as they wait for next season. Tenn graduates some key players. The expectation is DD and MR will carry then next season to the promised land of a FF. I can tell you now they wont happen. Attitude is everything and change is an attitude. Until Tenn makes a total commitment to rebuild and change nothing at Tenn will change.

Reaction Score
They'll just wait for Tyler to turn things around eventually.
Yes. Nepotism and inbreeding is always a good thing. :rolleyes:

I'm amazed at how down the Volnation folks are on Holly, and that's after the Mods banned most of the negavols. Soon, there will be no one left there.

I don't see much respect from the players toward Holly. To me, that's one of the biggest problems. I don't see much chance of improvement next year either. Russell will be working with new feet and it will be interesting to see how Diamond and Holly interact.

I just get the feeling that Tennessee's culture for many years now has been one big looking forward to next year.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Tennessee recruits great players. UCONN recruits great team players. Therein lies the difference in their success over the past couple of decades.

UTenn had a whopping 9 assists last night. Last year UTenn ranked 58th in assists (UConn #1). The previous year 60th (UConn #2), the year before that 46th (UConn #2). The low assist numbers go all the way back to Summitt's era.

Reaction Score
Now folks, it's not nice to revel in the misfortunes of others, especially on Thanksgiving day.
Or is it?
That's what the Puritans did after the Pequot War. Some even say Thanksgiving has it's origins in the defeat of the Pequots. :confused:

Reaction Score
Chattanooga's head coach is Jim Foster, who is no stranger to coaching against the Lady Vols. Foster of course, is the former head coach at Vanderbilt and Ohio State, and is one of Geno's best friends. In addition to Tennessee, Foster is getting some high powered programs to play road games at Chattanooga in the future. If I remember correctly, both UConn and Notre Dame will be playing home and home series with Chattanooga in the next couple of years. It's a rare thing when so many big time teams agree to play at a mid major's home court.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The question is how far will Tenn drop in the polls. Texas beat Stanford. TxAM is ranked 5th followed by Duke and MD.
ND
SC
UConn
TxAM
TX
Duke
MD
Tenn ????

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes. Nepotism and inbreeding is always a good thing. :rolleyes:

I'm amazed at how down the Volnation folks are on Holly, and that's after the Mods banned most of the negavols. Soon, there will be no one left there.

I don't see much respect from the players toward Holly. To me, that's one of the biggest problems. I don't see much chance of improvement next year either. Russell will be working with new feet and it will be interesting to see how Diamond and Holly interact.

I just get the feeling that Tennessee's culture for many years now has been one big looking forward to next year.
You mentioned the possible lack of respect towards Holly. I'm not sure if that's true (I did not catch the game and have not seen players interact with her) but if it's even a little true, it will only get worse if the people I'm referring to end up running the ship.

I think part of the problem may be that as many have pointed out, Tennessee recruits all these HS AA's. Someone posted a list of the sheer number of AA's on the roster and I think at the moment Tennessee has 8, and I'm not even counting Harrison who many of their fans think is the best post in the nation. The problem is that while these kids come to Tennessee for many reasons, one of the main ones has to be to win NC's.

Pat's failure to do so the last 4 years of her career, and Holly's failure to even make the elite 8, must have these kids (and their families) questioning what exactly is happening to all this talent. Either the kids just aren't as good as "advertised", the coaches are failing them with lack of development, focus and an actual game plan, or a combo of both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If they play like they did in the first half yesterday, divine intervention is what it will take to prevent the season from turning into a disaster.

Reaction Score
Ariel said at the start of the season that the team is going to listen to Holly and take direction this year.... but I am not so sure....

Forgive me for being obtuse, but is the implication here that Ariel and her teammates didn't listen to nor take direction from Holly in the past?

If true, UT has found the problem, if they even care about Wcbb.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What a great Thanksgiving present. Gives everyone of us something to be thankful for. :D

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
It was an absolute debacle. TN goes down 17 before half and not one timeout was taken.
We didn't deserve to win, Chatt outplayed us in every facet of the game. JJ was the only player who appeared interested.

Thanks LV Fan for your honesty.

But isn't it interesting how UTC seems to have the Lady Vols number? A loss two years ago, and Tennessee's victory over Chatt last year was a squeaker if I remember correctly.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
All of this takes a little of the onus off of Simmons' court behavior. With coaching like this and teammates like these, maybe her best alternative, from the standpoint of winning a game, was to jack up a shot whenever possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom