BYU - on the move? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BYU - on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With a 61,300 football stadium, 14,300 basketball arena, 36,000 student population, and AAU status, ISU is not anywhere near the Mountain West.
ISU adds nothing to any P5/4 conference in terms of TV viewers which again is what expansion is about. All that stuff above means nothing important to expansion.

Reaction Score
ISU is the clear number two brand in the state of Iowa. Repeat. The state of Iowa. Just be happy that your Burnt Orange Overlord is being kept fat and happy by Espin. Should the day come when they no longer are...

Reaction Score
Easy on Iowa State, their female candy talent is definitely worthy of a P5 conference.

cheer_squad_landing.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's not let the lack of TV viewers get in the way here.

They're ranked #12 in hoops...

Reaction Score
Beats me, there is no shortage of theories. I was merely pointing out that ISU as both a university and athletic department has little resemblance to schools in the MW.

And how does UConn fit into the American?

Iowa State likely needs the XII to survive to remain with the big boys. the B1G will not double-up on Iowa and I can't see the SEC moving that far north nor the PAC looking at the northern half of the XII should it fold. Not saying anything bad about Iowa, just an observation of geography and demographics.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If memory serves, the contract was made with the idea that Mizzou and Texas A&M were in the league - not TCU and West Virginia.

Not taking anything away from those programs but they were coming from the Big East and replacing teams going to the SEC.

The league has a great on field product in both sports but aside from Texas I'm not sure their markets can compete with the other leagues.

It was not. The B12 actually got a big raise after they left.

There are only 5 P5 conferences for 4 networks. The networks can pay up or broadcast lumberjack competitions.

Reaction Score
Beats me, there is no shortage of theories. I was merely pointing out that ISU as both a university and athletic department has little resemblance to schools in the MW.

Huh? Iowa State is a Land Grant AAU, wrestles, and has a bunch of farmer's daughters attending. Resemble much?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It was not. The B12 actually got a big raise after they left.

There are only 5 P5 conferences for 4 networks. The networks can pay up or broadcast lumberjack competitions.

I'll have to look it up, but that doesn't seem correct. I thought the whole ordeal with needing west Virginia was predicated on needing a 10th team for the TV deal.

You could be right though.

My question back to you would be, hypothetically if tv deals were negotiated today, do you think the Big12 ends up making more or less than say the ACC? I'd say less, all things being equal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My question back to you would be, hypothetically if tv deals were negotiated today, do you think the Big12 ends up making more or less than say the ACC? I'd say less, all things being equal.

The results would be the same.

The Big 12 signed it's deal after A&M, Mizzou, Colorado and Nebraska left. The ACC finalized it's deal less than six months later.

Both conferences were known quantities.

Given that football supposedly drives the bus, the Big 12 is far more appealing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Looks like Nelson was correct regarding the TV deal. I must have not remembered correctly about filling in for the 10th team.

The Big12 right now may be the best all around league for basketball and football. Still seems like long term their reach is limited by being so midwestern. But hey, I'd love to join them along with Cincinnati.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Easy on Iowa State, their female candy talent is definitely worthy of a P5 conference.

cheer_squad_landing.jpg
I hear next year that they'll be able to afford shoes for them...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm not that impressed. Look like a bunch of Plain Jane farm girls.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Of course you're not. Goes without saying, right?

Right.

I've done pretty well for myself. What's pictured would be a downgrade, and so I'm not impressed.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Right.

I've done pretty well for myself. What's pictured would be a downgrade, and so I'm not impressed.

I'm usually not a fan of the, "not impressed" camp, but totally with you on this one. Definitely a fair share of good looking girls but overall pretty Iowa.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I'm usually not a fan of the, "not impressed" camp, but totally with you on this one. Definitely a fair share of good looking girls but overall pretty Iowa.

I am not usually one to say I'm unimpressed, either. A picture of, say, USCs squad would probably get a different reaction.

Reaction Score
I am not usually one to say I'm unimpressed, either. A picture of, say, USCs squad would probably get a different reaction.
What kind of 'different reaction' are we talking about....?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With a 61,300 football stadium, 14,300 basketball arena, 36,000 student population, and AAU status, ISU is not anywhere near the Mountain West.

Hey Seneca! Remember when UConn came to Ames and kicked your ass?

Reaction Score
Why would they want to divide the pie? Seems to me they are the most vastly overpaid league so I can't imagine they would want to reopen the deal, even with championship game in hand.
Pie size doesn't remain static over time. Any conference will consider membership within the constraint of the pie getting bigger, the pie getting smaller, or a combination of the two. Why would a conference ignore making a move if the risk of the pie getting smaller is significant? Why wouldn't the most poachable P5 conference want to strengthen its position even if that might require short term sacrifice? Texas may be selfish but they aren't stupid.

Reaction Score
Hey Seneca! Remember when UConn came to Ames and kicked your ass?
Yeah, Congrats! Sounds like it was a big day for you as UConn picked up a win in D-1A. Losing to UConn and then playing in a stupid bowl game in Boise, ID was not the way to end a season that had the Cyclones ranked #9 in the country at midyear. Seasons go on though, but with your American Athletic Conference schedule and our slate of Big 12 games, our win 3-4 years ago might be the last meeting between the two schools in football.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Pie size doesn't remain static over time. Any conference will consider membership within the constraint of the pie getting bigger, the pie getting smaller, or a combination of the two. Why would a conference ignore making a move if the risk of the pie getting smaller is significant? Why wouldn't the most poachable P5 conference want to strengthen its position even if that might require short term sacrifice? Texas may be selfish but they aren't stupid.

I guess that depends on whether or not you think adding Cincinnati and UConn (for example) to a southwest/plains league makes long term sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom