BYU - on the move? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BYU - on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yeah, Congrats! Sounds like it was a big day for you as UConn picked up a win in D-1A. Losing to UConn and then playing in a stupid bowl game in Boise, ID was not the way to end a season that had the Cyclones ranked #9 in the country at midyear. Seasons go on though, but with your American Athletic Conference schedule and our slate of Big 12 games, our win 3-4 years ago might be the last meeting between the two schools in football.

Hope that clown's arm healed.

Reaction Score
I guess that depends on whether or not you think adding Cincinnati and UConn (for example) to a southwest/plains league makes long term sense.
It doesn't, but WVU was an odd add as well. Having said that, WVU is really starting to feel like a conference mate maybe because of Huggins' time at K-State. I think the biggest obstacle UConn is facing is it's very brief history in D1-A football. Right or wrong, Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, WVU, etc...had all been playing football at the highest level for over a century. Those deep roots matter. In fact, despite the conference shuffling that destroyed some long time rivalries: KU-Mizzou, UT-A&M, OU-Neb, some of those deep roots are starting to be heard from. There have been increased complaints from Big Ten and SEC fans that they don't get to play long time conference foes but once every 6-8 years. Hell, UNC and Wake Forest had to schedule a "nonconference" home/home so they could play each other more often than not. Recruiting is also taking a hit for schools like Nebraska who has seen it's Texas recruiting dry up to almost zero. Iowa only playing in Ohio once a decade has also damaged their once fertile pipeline. I have no idea how all this ends, but it would not shock me at all to see conferences shrink back in the next 12-20 years.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Your mascot. You know, the one who decided to taunt our fans sitting in our student section in our stadium following an ISU TD and expected that that would be ok.

Reaction Score
Oh that "clown". Have heard nothing to indicate he is anything but completely healed. Thanks for your concern.

Reaction Score
Deep roots matter so much that the deep rooted teams want to separate to keep their historical advantage intact. As more programs made the jump up, I would wager fan support has shifted. I would actually like to see some kind of demographic analysis. I'd bet the national ND fan base is aging. Why? Because kids from CT, for example, have a home team to root for now. I'd bet a fairly large chunk of UCF and USF fans will follow their alma maters closely. Even folks in Carolina may start to realize that there is a program NOT in the ACC which is better than the team they are rooting for. Change is good, but not for the old guard.

Reaction Score
Easy on Iowa State, their female candy talent is definitely worthy of a P5 conference.

cheer_squad_landing.jpg

ISU, or Stockholm U?
ISU's large stadium could prove to be a problem. That doesn't leave a whole lot of TV sets on.

Reaction Score
ISU, or Stockholm U?
ISU's large stadium could prove to be a problem. That doesn't leave a whole lot of TV sets on.
College sports are much more important than pro sports in some states and Iowa is one of those places. ISU and Iowa total 130,000+ for football, 28,000+ for men's basketball, and 16,000+ for women's basketball in a state with less than 3 million people. When the two schools meet for their annual football game, there are well over 80,000 fans outside the stadium that don't have tickets but just come for the tailgating event. College sports are simply huge in some states.

Reaction Score
College sports are much more important than pro sports in some states and Iowa is one of those places. ISU and Iowa total 130,000+ for football, 28,000+ for men's basketball, and 16,000+ for women's basketball in a state with less than 3 million people. When the two schools meet for their annual football game, there are well over 80,000 fans outside the stadium that don't have tickets but just come for the tailgating event. College sports are simply huge in some states.
I get that, and although I've never been to Iowa, I imagine it's a great atmosphere. I am not knocking either school.
Many would argue that ISU should be concerned about the fact that the Big 12 is far too reliant on one major program, and should that program decide to make a move, ISU lacks the single most important factor in conference realignment. Television market. Oklahoma and Kansas would certainly find a home. Not so sure about the rest.

Reaction Score
I get that, and although I've never been to Iowa, I imagine it's a great atmosphere. I am not knocking either school.
Many would argue that ISU should be concerned about the fact that the Big 12 is far too reliant on one major program, and should that program decide to make a move, ISU lacks the single most important factor in conference realignment. Television market. Oklahoma and Kansas would certainly find a home. Not so sure about the rest.
I think that's a valid argument, but here is what some people don't consider when discussing conference realignment: control. All the schools in the Big 12 are making nice (and growing) paychecks and that includes UT and OU. Every conference has a couple of schools that have the most influence and power. Right now OU/UT represent 20% of the outright vote in the conference, the reality is they actually influence a much higher percentage. Why in the world would they want to dilute their voting power by throwing in with the likes of UCLA, USC, Bama, Florida, UNC, Ohio State, etc...? Everyone realizes this is about money and UT/OU are getting paid while still exerting tremendous control. Sounds like a good spot for them to be in.

Reaction Score
I think that's a valid argument, but here is what some people don't consider when discussing conference realignment: control. All the schools in the Big 12 are making nice (and growing) paychecks and that includes UT and OU. Every conference has a couple of schools that have the most influence and power. Right now OU/UT represent 20% of the outright vote in the conference, the reality is they actually influence a much higher percentage. Why in the world would they want to dilute their voting power by throwing in with the likes of UCLA, USC, Bama, Florida, UNC, Ohio State, etc...? Everyone realizes this is about money and UT/OU are getting paid while still exerting tremendous control. Sounds like a good spot for them to be in.
The fickle finger of CR will provide many reasons for and against leaving the Big 12. I don't have the answers, but being a member of a larger stable conference would seem to be a better place to be long-term. Or not.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
College sports are much more important than pro sports in some states.

We know the feeling. Connecticut is one of those states for basketball. I know about 6 NBA fans but everyone I know likes UConn. And if they don't, they like to hate UConn.

Reaction Score
We know the feeling. Connecticut is one of those states for basketball. I know about 6 NBA fans but everyone I know likes UConn. And if they don't, they like to hate UConn.
Seems that some former UConn players are an attraction at MSG when they come to NYC to play the Knicks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, Congrats! Sounds like it was a big day for you as UConn picked up a win in D-1A. Losing to UConn and then playing in a stupid bowl game in Boise, ID was not the way to end a season that had the Cyclones ranked #9 in the country at midyear. Seasons go on though, but with your American Athletic Conference schedule and our slate of Big 12 games, our win 3-4 years ago might be the last meeting between the two schools in football.

Iowa State is such a significant program that the game went untelevised.

Reaction Score
How many AAC football games are televised...other than regionally? You have some brass shooting down ISU. How about those 2-10 Huskies...better than SMU by a game.

Reaction Score
Will Texas & Oklahoma still like their CONTROL when the Gross Payout is 50% of some of the other conferences?

See that's where this could go. This is a leaky cartel & the numbers are such, the contract clauses are such ... that it could bust at the edges quickly. P5 could go P3 & then who knows who has lost in that Musical Chair game. (cough cough ... Iowa State)

Reaction Score
The game ISU won at UConn several years ago was televised. Don't know about the UConn win in Ames back in 2002. Not that any of that matters which includes whatever feeble point you were attempting to make.

Reaction Score
Will Texas & Oklahoma still like their CONTROL when the Gross Payout is 50% of some of the other conferences?

See that's where this could go. This is a leaky cartel & the numbers are such, the contract clauses are such ... that it could bust at the edges quickly. P5 could go P3 & then who knows who has lost in that Musical Chair game. (cough cough ... Iowa State)

Well that is one optional future pretend world. Meanwhile in today's reality...

Reaction Score
How many AAC football games are televised...other than regionally? You have some brass shooting down ISU. How about those 2-10 Huskies...better than SMU by a game.
It doesn't take all that much brass to shoot down a team with 0 conference wins. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Well that is one optional future pretend world. Meanwhile in today's reality...

Econ 101

Cartels cheat. The Money changes in such a fashion that the incentives push the major Players to abrogate any and all the contract clauses. You'll never keep Texas if they can get $70m in a Pac 12 (or 20) or a B1G NEWCO. You cannot keep up. Control won't keep them if the numbers widen. And, you have already set the precedent that you can take this out of the NCAA. Iowa State is one of the most vulnerable of the P5.

You think this is pretend? I say it is going to be a 30-40 Super Conference & you ain't in it. (then it will shake out from there)

Reaction Score
It doesn't take all that much brass to shoot down a team with 0 conference wins. Just saying.
Not much, but some when your team had one conference win. But when you're bitter, you use what you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom