BYU - on the move? | The Boneyard

BYU - on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is one interesting aspect to all this that grabs my attention. I keep hearing that none of the 10 in the Big 12 are willing to add. (And not just because it means pulling off the gloves and taking off a shoe, but that's another story...) They won't take a pay cut to add.

BYU may be in the unique position of being able to join and indemnify their financial viability, especially if the CCG waiver for ten teams suddenly materializes at eleven teams.

Who knows? (HINT: No one with a twitter account.) But it isn't outside the realm of possibility and actually could be plausible.

Reaction Score
If the concept of adding a playoff game (Big12 Championship) doesn't generate a check big enough to make the concept of adding a couple extra teams a net gain, then the conference isn't worthy of a P5 label.

The Big12 is a mirage built on an illusion. When it only has 5 members, are they really going claim equal status with its peer conferences because the per school payout is equal?
At some point, reality hits and they will need to add. The question is, will it be 2 additional schools now or possibly 4-6 schools just to replace those that just left for greener pastures once the next round of TV deals is done.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Iowa State wields more power than we do... Sad...

Reaction Score
I have watched enough old black and white films to know how this will go.....

"Listen! The drums have stopped. They are going to attack."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is one interesting aspect to all this that grabs my attention. I keep hearing that none of the 10 in the Big 12 are willing to add. (And not just because it means pulling off the gloves and taking off a shoe, but that's another story...) They won't take a pay cut to add.

BYU may be in the unique position of being able to join and indemnify their financial viability, especially if the CCG waiver for ten teams suddenly materializes at eleven teams.

Who knows? (HINT: No one with a twitter account.) But it isn't outside the realm of possibility and actually could be plausible.

I do not believe for a second that none of the Big 12 want to add a school. I suspect that at least 8 of the members would vote to add any 2 of UConn, Cincinnati or BYU tomorrow. Unfortunately, the 1 school definitely against expansion is the only one that matters in that league.

Reaction Score
I do not believe for a second that none of the Big 12 want to add a school. I suspect that at least 8 of the members would vote to add any 2 of UConn, Cincinnati or BYU tomorrow. Unfortunately, the 1 school definitely against expansion is the only one that matters in that league.

Especially BYU. Their last two additions were based on survival, not economics, and BYU would (I would think) add far more than either West Virginia or TCU, or even the combination of WVU and TCU.

If BYU was willing, and they could find a good partner to go along, too, I think they'd add two in a heartbeat... if Texas gave them permission, of course.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Why would they want to divide the pie? Seems to me they are the most vastly overpaid league so I can't imagine they would want to reopen the deal, even with championship game in hand.

Reaction Score
And speaking of Iowa State, if it (and a few others) isn't interested in adding to the Big 12, that would have to be severely short-sighted on Iowa State's part. Iowa State is one money grab away from joining the Mountain West!
With a 61,300 football stadium, 14,300 basketball arena, 36,000 student population, and AAU status, ISU is not anywhere near the Mountain West.

Reaction Score
With a 61,300 football stadium, 14,300 basketball arena, 36,000 student population, and AAU status, ISU is not anywhere near the Mountain West.
So in the extremely unlikely scenario where the Big 12 folds, which lucky P4 conference grabs Iowa State?

Reaction Score
So in the extremely unlikely scenario where the Big 12 folds, which lucky P4 conference grabs Iowa State?
Beats me, there is no shortage of theories. I was merely pointing out that ISU as both a university and athletic department has little resemblance to schools in the MW.

Reaction Score
Other than AAU, it fits in with SDSU and New Mexico. I suppose ISU could always go Indy with ND and BYU.

Reaction Score
Other than AAU, it fits in with SDSU and New Mexico. I suppose ISU could always go Indy with ND and BYU.
Actually the Aztecs & Lobos average 33,500 and 22,500 for football attendance which is in UConn's neighborhood of 31,700 but isn't really comparable to ISU's stadium renovation limited figure of 53,000. We are quite happy in the Big 12, no need to go independent.

Reaction Score
Actually the Aztecs & Lobos average 33,500 and 22,500 for football attendance which is in UConn's neighborhood of 31,700 but isn't really comparable to ISU's stadium renovation limited figure of 53,000. We are quite happy in the Big 12, no need to go independent.
Thank you for that valuable insight. Perhaps you can enlighten us when Texas decides to make a move.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Beats me, there is no shortage of theories. I was merely pointing out that ISU as both a university and athletic department has little resemblance to schools in the MW.

If the Big 12 ever breaks apart, you can cast your lonely eyes to the American Athletic Conference.

We specialize in small markets, difficult travel and schools left shell-shocked by conference realignment.

You will fit right in.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why would they want to divide the pie? Seems to me they are the most vastly overpaid league so I can't imagine they would want to reopen the deal, even with championship game in hand.

Why is the Big 12 overpaid any more than any other league?

Reaction Score
Thank you for that valuable insight. Perhaps you can enlighten us when Texas decides to make a move.
I think Texas really likes their highly lucrative and ever expanding LHN, so I doubt they have much incentive to move. Same with OU and Okie State with their FoxSW packages. KU & WVU have their rich deals with IMG, K-State has it's own broadcasting package, and ISU has it's own channel on Mediacom across Iowa and parts of MN & WI. No idea about Tech, Baylor, or TCU but everyone seems pretty happy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why is the Big 12 overpaid any more than any other league?

If memory serves, the contract was made with the idea that Mizzou and Texas A&M were in the league - not TCU and West Virginia.

Not taking anything away from those programs but they were coming from the Big East and replacing teams going to the SEC.

The league has a great on field product in both sports but aside from Texas I'm not sure their markets can compete with the other leagues.

Reaction Score
Aside from the one or two true champions debacle and getting boxed out of the final four play-offs, I am sure everything is peachie in the Big 12.
Sounds to me like the Mediacom thing is more of a channel to show the Iowa State games which don't make the ESPN cut.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman