At some point do we see Sanogo and Clingan on the floor together? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

At some point do we see Sanogo and Clingan on the floor together?

Reaction Score
I think they can easily try this against Georgetown at home next week. Put Donovan on Wahab and Adama on Akok for a handful of minutes. Georgetown uses the two of them together about 35% of the time and that at least gives Danny a sample without really sacrificing rotations.
But again......why? We're not a .500 basketball team searching for answers. We're dominating teams right now. Why would we make a lineup change to see what happens when we already know if we keep the lineups as they are we can beat top five teams by 15+? What is the obsession with getting them on the floor together? Even if they are two of your best five players, the benefits to staggering them so drastically outweigh the negatives that it's not even close.

Also, Georgetown may suck but if we didn't trot out experimental lineups against 1-7 LIU maybe the best time to do so isn't against a conference opponent, no matter how bad?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how many on here have forgotten our two most recent national title teams.

What I want to see (at all times) is two ball handlers (either Jackson and whoever is on the court as PG or two PG's).

We have sufficient evidence that (from many teams in many tournaments over the years) that worrying too much about height can be a recipe for disaster.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That Purdue team would’ve won the championship if their wings were Jordan Hawkins and Andre Jackson Jr. Also Sanogo plays better defense than Williams, so we have a much better defensive core than that Purdue team.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think they can easily try this against Georgetown at home next week. Put Donovan on Wahab and Adama on Akok for a handful of minutes. Georgetown uses the two of them together about 35% of the time and that at least gives Danny a sample without really sacrificing rotations.
According to this board Spud Webb can guard Akok.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how many on here have forgotten our two most recent national title teams.

What I want to see (at all times) is two ball handlers (either Jackson and whoever is on the court as PG or two PG's).

We have sufficient evidence that (from many teams in many tournaments over the years) that worrying too much about height can be a recipe for disaster.

Now we've heard it all.

Some wingnut poster suggesting Sanogo play PG and Clingan play 2G because that's what's worked in the past.

No need to force them to play guard. They are natural front court players; play to their strengths.

August_West

Reaction Score
Now we've heard it all.

Some wingnut poster suggesting Sanogo play PG and Clingan play 2G because that's what's worked in the past.

No need to force them to play guard. They are natural front court players; play to their strengths.
Why not? Sanogo can play 2G because he’s lethal from 3 and DC can run point because he passes better than Bird and Walton. Hurley having a seizure, it’s coaching malpractice by not realizing this.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Were Williams and Edey on the floor together when Purdue won the championship?

I can't imagine not trying it in a home game against a team with a big you think you can beat anyway. If it doesn't work it doesn't work, and I wouldn't push change too hard on this team the way it's playing. But, would I like to have the two-big in my quiver on a day when we can't hit an outside shot, or need them both on the floor for Defense, or have injuries/foul trouble for Karaban and AJ? Yes. They are both so damn good I really can't see not at least giving it a look as a way to get them up to 45 to 48 combined minutes.

I could see them having both in the final minutes of a tight Xavier game, with DH making subs every time X goes to the FT line.

Reaction Score
I don't see why you would do it. There were so many issues and complaints about Whaley and Sanogo on the floor last year best exposed by Creighton.

They are both great players and expose other teams weaknesses in their depth.

You also create risk for UConn from foul management standpoint.

At best you could run a high low with them as Whaley did occasionally last season to AS but at worst invite doubling in the paint. But Karaban and Andre already can fill this role at the four and Andre can guard that spot so you're not losing anything at other end.

It would be nice considering how effective both are but I think are better separate than together. The value of shooters around them is very difficult for opposing teams to counter. It's pick your poison: Sanogo or Clingan wrecking you in the paint or Karaban Hawk Joey Tristen Alleyne wrecking you from deep.

Reaction Score
The current rotation is a big part of our success.
2 great centers. But they are very different. Teams have to prepare for two different types of centers and that is what I believe is key.

Don’t mess with what’s working l.

Reaction Score
I don't see the point/need to do that? Being able to switch back and forth between Sanogo and Clingan is such a luxury that there is no reason to mess with it.
It's a terrible, 1990s based idea. There's absolutely no reason to do it other than to ruin our spacing and potentially get our bigs into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
1670976035428.png

Reaction Score
College and the pros are two different things, but if you think about it as professionals there would not be any debate at all. Clingan would be considered a C and Sanogo would be thought of as a PF. And if on the same team, they would of course be expected to play together.

Clingan won't have to change positions but Sanogo very likely will. You could make a strong case that learning to play PF next to a bigger C is actually in Sanogo's best long range interests as well. I understand the status quo is working quite well, but these are clearly the two best players on the team. At least experimenting with it when the game is not in doubt.

Even if it is not the starting lineup, getting used to it as a tool that can be used in certain circumstances would appear to have great value IMO.

Reaction Score
I think the reason this hasn’t happened yet is Cling is still learning - from Sanogo. None of his weaknesses are exposed when he’s stepping in and out. Sanogo is still the top dog and resting him is the best strategy, since the games have all been blowouts. Lower injury risk and they’re primed for the next game.
But - please, please please put them out there together when Purdue rolls around.

August_West

Reaction Score
I think the reason this hasn’t happened yet is Cling is still learning - from Sanogo. None of his weaknesses are exposed when he’s stepping in and out. Sanogo is still the top dog and resting him is the best strategy, since the games have all been blowouts. Lower injury risk and they’re primed for the next game.
But - please, please please put them out there together when Purdue rolls around.

Which one is the point guard?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
My Dream Team?

Unsustainable for more than a minute and a half. But you know you want to see it.

AJax at point.

Alex and Samson as guard forwards.

Adama at the 4.

Donovan at the 5.

Just to say I saw it.

Reaction Score
You've got to admit playing zone with a line up of AS, DC, SJ, JH, & AJ would be intriguing.

Only one shooter though need to replace SJ with Joey then I like it.

Reaction Score
Not until we play Arizona.

My thought too. Arizona is showing that you can still win big with 2 traditional bigs and I am extremely curious as to how it would look. But we currently have the best performing team in the country. And I think it is imperative to keep Sanogo fresh - it was obvious to anybody that Sanogo had been run ragged by the end of the year. Was it against Creighton where Sanogo missed bunny after bunny? As currently constructed, we have an absolutely dominant big on the floor 40 minutes per game. And its not really worth experimenting in the off chance that we catch 1 team in the tourney, a team we match up well with even as currently deployed. Plus I don't really want to watch Sanogo chasing around 6'6 small ball 4's in conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

It's already happened.

It worked well once Diarra was replaced by Newton. And in spite of Hawkins making one of the four worse passes in PK history.

“What are the four worse passes Bill?”
Bill not willing to get tripped up in the OTT statement: “I said one of the four worst passes.”

We’ll definitely see it again before this season ends especially if Samson is delayed or struggling when he returns.

LOL that no one thought of putting Joey on Sonongo’s back so we could have two over seven footers and still have four out one in. Would build Adama’s 3 pt resume and make it harder for opponents to shoot over Joey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom