Arkansas Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dungee reminds me of Candice Wiggins. Wiggins was more of a two-way player (think she lead the Pac-12 in steals) but the way she worked through our defense reminded me a lot of the former all-american/pro

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry about the loss. Tonight, Arkansas was the better team and really played very well. Every one already replayed the game and demonstrated the credits.

I would think that lots of practice and discussion will take place following this game. Perhaps, a loss like this needs to be examined from the upside as to what the Team needs to do in confronting a strong team like Arkansas. They will rise again!

Reaction Score
I hope this is the game where the coaches (and CW herself) realises that paige and evina need to be taking more shots. CW should be the third scoring option, particularly from 3, but she continues to take 15,16,17 shots a game. She isnt efficient enough and its wasted possessions, especially when we cant offensive rebound at all.

Reaction Score
Well why didn't he get her out when she got the 4th. I don't want to hear the "he wanted to leave her in to see if she could play with 4" nonsense. Nobody could guard anyone. The game moves to quick for Geno sometimes.

As a 20 year UConn fan - when Geno starts the four or five guard lineup move..his purpose for the game has moved from winning to teaching the team a lesson.

I bet he’s almost happy about this loss. Paige learned she can’t wait until the fourth, ONO learned her team needs her, CW saw her mental mistakes cost the team the game..and the freshman should have gained some confidence.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I’ll ever fully understand what the zone defense was supposed to do against a team known to shoot the ball (fairly well, too), but as much as I wanted a patented UConn beat down, it didn’t happen and that’s okay. There were a lot of factors at play—some poor shot selection, post play didn’t pan out as well as we all thought it was going to, suspect defense, etc.—that lead to this loss. It’s weird to say, but this feels like par for this season. Everything has been unpredictable and this loss feels the same way. Hopefully it refocuses everyone and makes them realize a win will not always materialize—especially against better competition than the bottom teams in the Big East. Evina played great, Paige looked good at times given her circumstance, Nika had some great looks and took them tonight, CW was great in the opening quarter, Edwards showed what she can do when she isn’t in could trouble, Mir looked like the fire missing from the team, and Aubrey is still the energy player for this team. All of it will come together. Unfortunately I can’t say if that will be this year or next year, but it will all come together and when it does, look out.
That zone defense in the 3rd quarter was a nail in the coffin for us. Dungee was just finding ALLLL the holes and taking advantage of our slow reaction time. Couple that with a lack of an interior presence...recipe for disaster. It was painful to watch.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I thought the freshmen were great. I don’t know that we could have expected more from them.
My only "disappointment" with the freshmen is that Mir and Aaliyah seem too foul prone. I can only imagine how this game might have been if we could of had 5 more minutes with Aaliyah on the floor. Other than that, yup they were great!

JBK

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Arkansas game:
  • UConn shoots 59% in the first half and heads to the locker room with a 2-pt lead. At that point I knew UConn was in trouble. Arkansas is one tough team to play against, and Dungee belongs in the pros, although I’m not crazy about that flying chicken-wing of hers.
  • Every time UConn threw the ball into the post, Arkansas swarmed all over it, generally neutralizing UConn’s size advantage.
  • Pleased with Nika’s minutes off the bench. She didn’t try to do too much or play too fast, and she knocked down several key shots.
  • I guess we’re back to playing with another 5’11” center?
  • Paige and Evina both came up big tonight, but it wasn't enough
  • I know there will be criticism about players, coaching strategy, etc., but the simple truth is that Arkansas was a better team than UConn tonight. They shot it well, took better care of the ball, played tough team defense, boxed out and hit the boards. They earned the W.
I really thought Aubrey was our best defender and was not sure why she did not play most of the 2nd half. I would never question our amazing coaches, but was wondering why we were playing so much 2 / 3 zone against a great shooting team.

Reaction Score
Arkansas deserved to win because they shot better and played better defense. They also got all the calls as they foul every time on the way to the basket. They will have a hard time playing with refs who won't allow that. Our juniors once again failed to show up. Liv was terrible and CW disappeared for long stretches. EW was great as was Paige who finally understood in the 4th quarter what Geno has been trying to tell her. We needed Anna tonight. Those who have been down on her should now see what her value is. Nika played well tonight and hit some shots. I wasn't particularly impressed by AE who kept bringing the ball down to where their guards took it away from her. Not sure where AG was in the 2nd half. Mir played pretty well but still doesn't know the offense. Almost pulled it out again but should not have been in that position. Very disappointing.
In all serious, what would have Anna done? She's shot the ball poor this entire season so far and her defense is lackluster at best. Anna has never showed up in a big game for us so far in her 2 years... just curious where you're going with that assessment

Reaction Score
Disappointed by the final score... Dungee was great for Arkansas...BUT I was VERY Disappointed that none of the Refs saw her constant forearms to the chest, neck, face of UCONN defenders. She did it on almost every drive to the basket but no one in striped shirts see it???

Live, Learn and Come back Stronger!

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Our number one problem has and will continue to be NO BIGS. It will continue to plague us until Brady gets here, that’s all we are missing to being a complete UConn team like past teams PERIOD. I understand some games aren’t for bigs, but an aggressive and smart big would have had her way tonight. We need another one to go with Edwards and Brady BAD! After that, UNDEFEATED!

Reaction Score
Christyn made a mental error when she didn't call time out immediately after securing the rebound. She dribbled away 3 seconds. If she had immediately called Time Out, UConn could have advanced the ball to half court with 3 seconds on the clock.
How about the coaches being prepared to call that timeout?

Reaction Score
I love Aaliyah. I know there are a lot of comments about her propensity to commit a lot of silly fouls, which is true.

That said I’ll take her natural aggression every day of the week. I don’t believe you can teach that, she simply has it. Once she learns the college game a little better, understand her own strength better, and learns how to use her body more effectively her game is going to take off.

I’ll roll with it now so later she’s that much further ahead.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Paige Nika Mir yes.
Aaliyah -- fewer fouls.
I suspect that if "fouls" were what was putting Aaliyah on the bench she would fit it fixed. Quickly.

Reaction Score
2 big positives:
  • Nika held her own in a big game. Not bad for a player that was already written off on the BY after last game.
  • Paige asserted herself late. 5 points in the 1st half. 7 in the 3rd. 15 in the 4th
And Paige scored 27 on 10 FOR 15 shooting. Unheard of for a guard.

Reaction Score
What is so disappointing is CW and ONO as an upperclassmen duo are nowhere near where they should be or need to be, they talk about leading the team but they cant even be consistent in their own performances nevermind leading anyone else. Pheesa and Lou could lead because they had their own games under control, Kia and Gabby could lead because they had their own games under control, Stewie Mo and Tuck the same. These two...you cant have a junior being the worst player in your team on nights like this.

Reaction Score
**Dungee is not a pro talent. She will have trouble making a roster, IMO. She is crafty, but that doesn't work in the pros.

**I'm convinced that all of Christyn's problems are between the ears. How does a guard, that's her caliber, and brick so many layups and miss that many FT's?
I disagree Bart sorry . The gal can play and will make a roster most likely 1st rounder with all respect

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Watching Paige and Rina is still a great pleasure and I only wish we had those 3 seconds left to try to set up Paige or E properly. The coaching staff should take some responsibility as well and hopefully we will get stronger. DePaul does not look so easy now on their court.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How about the coaches being prepared to call that timeout?
The coach has to get the ref's attention. For all we know Geno and CD were at the other end of the court jumping up and down calling TIMEOUT, and the refs didn't look their way. Christyn needs to know the game situation and immediately signal for a timeout, preferably before her feet land on the floor with the rebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom