Arkansas Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Another thing(s). People complain about UConn's disappearing back door plays. The problem is when the defense collapses so hard inside it's hard for the post or the wings to make that pass. What really chuffed me though was Liv's inability to establish position on the block. She was consistently pushed off the mark early and often. All of her early TO's were caused because she was push off the block, was too far out of the lane and attempted to dribble inside. Any coach will tell you when a post has to dribble that many times to the hoop it spells nothing but TO. Also ARK didn't merely bring weak side help on Liv, but they also brought strong side help and that served to confuse Liv.

Reaction Score
Liv needs to stay out of the offensive game and let Williams(when she shoots well), Westbrook and Bueckers do the scoring...losing this game probably will help UConn prepare for the big tournament instead of winning them all. Lots of players were exposed for some weaknesses, inexperience and fluidity as a team. Great game to watch, lots of great plays on both sides.

Reaction Score
Arkansas deserved to win because they shot better and played better defense. They also got all the calls as they foul every time on the way to the basket. They will have a hard time playing with refs who won't allow that. Our juniors once again failed to show up. Liv was terrible and CW disappeared for long stretches. EW was great as was Paige who finally understood in the 4th quarter what Geno has been trying to tell her. We needed Anna tonight. Those who have been down on her should now see what her value is. Nika played well tonight and hit some shots. I wasn't particularly impressed by AE who kept bringing the ball down to where their guards took it away from her. Not sure where AG was in the 2nd half. Mir played pretty well but still doesn't know the offense. Almost pulled it out again but should not have been in that position. Very disappointing.

Reaction Score
ONO's post moves are predictable. She needs to add more to the arsenal other than two dribbles one way and spinning (and pinning the defender with her elbow) the other way. Paige was outstanding, Westbrook too. Mir stepped up. Geno will use this as a learning experience.
ONO her whole career I’m afraid is what you see is what you get. We will not get anymore from her or Williams. At least I believe Williams contributes as a key piece in big games, she doesn’t always dominate as we expect, but she shows up, ONO doesn’t. I felt the same way against Tennessee. I lover her but, we need a big really bad for the awesomeness rest of the team that’s coming. Teams are gonna beat us up down low in the future, at least until we have Brady and Edwards back there. I’ve seen Deberry a couple of times and I’m afraid it will be more of the same. Similar to ONO. ONO always brings the ball to low when she catches it and can’t do basic things a big should do. I like her, but she isn’t our answer down low. We need to recruit a stud rough big to go with Brady and Edwards. ONO should have dominated this game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I know the haters and part time fans are going to give Geno doodoo and also do the same about our players. After that 3rd quarter, our guys made it a game. Dungee could not have had a better game even though I have never seen a player that had the ball in her hands so much get away with soooo many push offs. I repeat, when she had the ball. Carolyn Peck even pointed it out multiple times. But we kept playing and we were in the game at the buzzer even though Arkansas must have played their best game EVER! (Which every team tries to do when they play UConn.)
I also don't understand why when we have a definite height advantage, our offensive sets end up with Aubrey behind the 3 point arc, so that when she gets the ball she feels compelled to shoot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not sure I’ll ever fully understand what the zone defense was supposed to do against a team known to shoot the ball (fairly well, too), but as much as I wanted a patented UConn beat down, it didn’t happen and that’s okay. There were a lot of factors at play—some poor shot selection, post play didn’t pan out as well as we all thought it was going to, suspect defense, etc.—that lead to this loss. It’s weird to say, but this feels like par for this season. Everything has been unpredictable and this loss feels the same way. Hopefully it refocuses everyone and makes them realize a win will not always materialize—especially against better competition than the bottom teams in the Big East. Evina played great, Paige looked good at times given her circumstance, Nika had some great looks and took them tonight, CW was great in the opening quarter, Edwards showed what she can do when she isn’t in foul trouble, Mir looked like the fire and passion missing from this team, and Aubrey is still the energy player for this team. All of it will come together. Unfortunately I can’t say if that will be this year or next year, but it will all come together and when it does, look out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A weird game in a weird season (sport-wide). Arkansas shot way, way above their normal percentages, and I don't agree with the discrepancy of foul calls based on the way the two teams were playing. All that added up to a "mere" 3 point win, though.

I am still glad UConn took this game. They actually exorcised at least one of the usual demons (not shooting well), they kept it competitive as a team...and yet there are still lessons that individual players will hopefully learn here. Not to name names, but there was some boneheaded and/or disjointed stuff from certain players. Massively, epically boneheaded and/or disjointed in a few cases. Losing while committing said boneheaded stuff will hopefully make the lesson stick.

Reaction Score
My thoughts are that it was the most outrageous and pusillanimous referee review at the end of a game I have ever seen. There was clearly a shot clock violation at 4.3 seconds. There was clearly a timeout before .3 seconds. To not put any time back on the clock was an out right choke by the referees. The hometown timekeeper allowed the clock to run even after timeout was called. It was a terribly officiated game all along, not the least of which was a blatant punch/push by Dungee on a drive and a no call. It reminded me of high school game on somebody else's home court. Sickening.
It was extremely close but as it was called on the floor, it was right call. CW should have called time immediately. But that isn’t why UConn lost. I figured a close Arkansas win because Ono is only dominant against weak teams and her replacement (Edwards) is a bull in a China shop. UConn plays decent defense but a quality shooter can and does cut them to shreds. Also Arkansas is a good three point shooting team and UConn is lousy at defending the three—against decent teams. Paige looked great and showed no sign of injury. You have to wonder how long Anna’s leg has been bothering her and if it was the reason for her slow start which is likely. Without a healthy Anna, this won’t be only loss.

Reaction Score
In a strange way, Geno will find a silver lining in this loss. He kept telling the team that their sloppy offense & lazy defense will not work against a top team. UCONN played a horrible game, the refs were one- sided, & Arkansas couldn't miss a shot. Yet, the Huskies only lost by 3 points.

Reaction Score
I cant remember a worse defensive effort by a UConn team. Period. This was against an opponent playing just 8 total & had a single player put in 40+. No adjustments made by either Geno or the players.

The main issue with this team, as it has been the past several years, is little to no post & physical presence in the middle. Ark. could literally drive to the hoop with little effort, or take a wide-open 3. Rebounding was controlled by a smaller Ark. team. AE is the ONLY player with physical presence, and she cant control her fouls. I cant see this team going too deep this year. Recruiting seems to be bringing in more post players, but its going to take a while to have a more balanced team.

Reaction Score
I know the haters and part time fans are going to give Geno and also do the same about our players. After that 3rd quarter, our guys made it a game. Dungee could not have had a better game even though I have never seen a player that had the ball in her hands so much get away with soooo many push offs. I repeat, when she had the ball. Carolyn Peck even pointed it out multiple times. But we kept playing and we were in the game at the buzzer even though Arkansas must have played their best game EVER! (Which ever team tries to do when they play UConn.)
I also don't understand why when we have a definite height advantage, our offensive sets end up with Aubrey behind the 3 point arc, so that when she gets the ball she feels compelled to shoot.
Well said...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
**Dungee is not a pro talent. She will have trouble making a roster, IMO. She is crafty, but that doesn't work in the pros.

**I'm convinced that all of Christyn's problems are between the ears. How does a guard, that's her caliber, and brick so many layups and miss that many FT's?
I'll agree with you on Christyn, but Dungee will most definately be a 1st round pick in the W, and she will do well once she gets there

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Christyn also needs to mature. No way you get that rebound with 2.3 seconds and you dribble the ball. That's a Time-out. Where was her head at?? And please keep the "these are college kids" comments.. we all wanted this W
I agree with you but the coach can also and should have called that time out . Tell your team captain to tell the ref ahead of time; As soon as we get this rebound I WANT A TIMEOUT!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mir showed out!!!!! Loved that for her. She's an extremely passionate player. Can't wait for her to expand her range and get more minutes.
I agree but she is very raw and her athletic ability can only take her so far. In high school that was all she needed. I'm happy for her though! That foul she had on Dungee was offensive and not on Mir.

Reaction Score
After Williams 3-3 start she went 3-14 and 2-5 from the line. Nelson-Ododa gave them nothing. Between them they had 6 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 turnovers. Obviously that just will not get it done. Bueckers was terrific once she started hunting her own offense but now maybe she will realize why Auriemma has been asking her to do just what she did tonight; unfortunately waiting until midway through the third quarter and down double digits turned out to be too late.

Reaction Score
Like the stock market, up and down, and up.
We are not a super strong team (this year none of teams are), so if we are going to lose a game, soon than later.

Clearly our defense has problems but the Refs also have problems.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Arkansas game:
  • UConn shoots 59% in the first half and heads to the locker room with a 2-pt lead. At that point I knew UConn was in trouble. Arkansas is one tough team to play against, and Dungee belongs in the pros, although I’m not crazy about that flying chicken-wing of hers.
  • Every time UConn threw the ball into the post, Arkansas swarmed all over it, generally neutralizing UConn’s size advantage.
  • Pleased with Nika’s minutes off the bench. She didn’t try to do too much or play too fast, and she knocked down several key shots.
  • I guess we’re back to playing with another 5’11” center?
  • Paige and Evina both came up big tonight, but it wasn't enough
  • I know there will be criticism about players, coaching strategy, etc., but the simple truth is that Arkansas was a better team than UConn tonight. They shot it well, took better care of the ball, played tough team defense, boxed out and hit the boards. They earned the W.
Nika played her best game to date tonight IMO. I was proud of how she stepped up for us !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom