Arkansas Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Arkansas game:
  • UConn shoots 59% in the first half and heads to the locker room with a 2-pt lead. At that point I knew UConn was in trouble. Arkansas is one tough team to play against, and Dungee belongs in the pros, although I’m not crazy about that flying chicken-wing of hers.
  • Every time UConn threw the ball into the post, Arkansas swarmed all over it, generally neutralizing UConn’s size advantage.
  • Pleased with Nika’s minutes off the bench. She didn’t try to do too much or play too fast, and she knocked down several key shots.
  • I guess we’re back to playing with another 5’11” center?
  • Paige and Evina both came up big tonight, but it wasn't enough
  • I know there will be criticism about players, coaching strategy, etc., but the simple truth is that Arkansas was a better team than UConn tonight. They shot it well, took better care of the ball, played tough team defense, boxed out and hit the boards. They earned the W.

Reaction Score
ONO's post moves are predictable. She needs to add more to the arsenal other than two dribbles one way and spinning (and pinning the defender with her elbow) the other way. Paige was outstanding, Westbrook too. Mir stepped up. Geno will use this as a learning experience.

Reaction Score
we would have lost by a lot more had Arkansas made their free throws. The 4 freshmen and Evina were the best and most competitive 5 we put out on the floor tonight. Dungee was unbelievable and yet so was Paige. Geno literally said he didn't want it to be a shoot-out and it happened.

Positives: The freshmen are super competitive as already stated but it was evident tonight. Evina is out steady player, and we actually shot the ball amazingly well. Let's beat South Carolina in two weeks!

Reaction Score
It's been apparent for a while that this team had some clear weaknesses (why I've been ranking them around #5). Tenn game exposed some. This game exposed others. I'm not stunned by a loss.

It took a while to figure out the right combination against them, but the 5-guard lineup was able to overcome a 13 point deficit and almost another big one at the end. Good that they fought to the end.

Good minutes from Nika.
EW was a leader. Her performance in the 2 big games confirms to me that she's ready to go pro.
Paige turned it on, but maybe not soon enough? Maybe Geno's message about scoring more will start to hit home.

Reaction Score
Why wasn’t that a shot clock violation with 4 seconds back on the clock? Interesting. But uconn had many opportunities to put themselves in a better situation, so that’s the bigger issue.

I think I’m ready to invest more playing time in the freshman. Our freshman really showed emotion and fight, but need to stop fouling so much.

I’m not sure at this point how to fix the abysmal shooting of CW or the disappearing act of ONO. Its the third season of this, and it may sound harsh, but I don’t think the solution to getting our next NC is them. It’s the youth we have on this and next years rosters.

Reaction Score
Missed the game. Had a death in family unfortunately. Not sure I want to watch a replay........

Reaction Score
Evina needs to look for her shot more. Aside from Paige she is our second best scorer and shooter in my opinion. She only took 8 shots, I think, and made 6 of them.

Paige is just amazing her will and skill are inspiring to watch already.

ONO - unacceptable to be invisible.

Nika has been playing better each game. Made some nice shots and made some very good decisions with the basketball. She’s gonna help us as another offensive option.

CW started off well doing what you want to see from her - driving and taking the mid range jumper. Then she started sitting outside the 3 point line and ended up taking 17 shots and only making 7. She needs to be more efficient.

In the end our defense didn’t have anyone who could step up and slow down Arkansas two best players. They dominated offensively.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Arkansas game:
  • UConn shoots 59% in the first half and heads to the locker room with a 2-pt lead. At that point I knew UConn was in trouble. Arkansas is one tough team to play against, and Dungee belongs in the pros, although I’m not crazy about that flying chicken-wing of hers.
  • Every time UConn threw the ball into the post, Arkansas swarmed all over it, generally neutralizing UConn’s size advantage.
  • Pleased with Nika’s minutes off the bench. She didn’t try to do too much or play too fast, and she knocked down several key shots.
  • I guess we’re back to playing with another 5’11” center?
  • Paige and Evina both came up big tonight, but it wasn't enough
  • I know there will be criticism about players, coaching strategy, etc., but the simple truth is that Arkansas was a better team than UConn tonight. They shot it well, took better care of the ball, played tough team defense, boxed out and hit the boards. They earned the W.
Agree. Tough to win when the other team's every shot is diving in. Razorbacks guards were as advertised and more.
Frankly, Christyn Williams had a very disappointing homecoming. She missed both key short jumpers and missed FT that made everything harder for everyone else. I know she'll feel bad, but we all come up short sometime. Life continues uninterrupted.

Reaction Score
My thoughts are that it was the most outrageous and pusillanimous referee review at the end of a game I have ever seen. There was clearly a shot clock violation at 4.3 seconds. There was clearly a timeout before .3 seconds. To not put any time back on the clock was an out right choke by the referees. The hometown timekeeper allowed the clock to run even after timeout was called. It was a terribly officiated game all along, not the least of which was a blatant punch/push by Dungee on a drive and a no call. It reminded me of high school game on somebody else's home court. Sickening.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Paige gets the badass award, but Liv.... Liv gets the boot. She killed them all game, especially early. Such a poor performance. I cannot remember when a UConn post had such a poor game. People are going to want to blame the refs (as usual) when UConn loses. But this loss is on a lot of shoulders. Geno didn't coach poorly. He let his upperclassmen try to perform and they failed miserably. AG was a not factor. AE had 4 fouls because of silly over aggressiveness. CW was hot early and terrible for 3 quarters, especially on defense. CW killed them late. No one could cover Dungee who had a field day. Their perimeter defense was atrocious. Evina and Paige tried on both ends, but clearly they weren't enough. Honestly, in order to win this game Paige needed to take a lot more 3's. A lot. Arkansas shot lights out and deserved this win, and UConn earned this loss. Hopefully Saylor gets up to speed soon because they need her size and long arms on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I did not understand our' defense. We let Liv or her sub wander from the lane, leaving it open, and we were not quick enough to stop the drives. I don't understand how Edwards cannot be taught that you can't bang into people the way you can in international ball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Somebody explain that 0 on the shot clock with 4.3 to go and then only 0.3 at the end?
Christyn made a mental error when she didn't call time out immediately after securing the rebound. She dribbled away 3 seconds. If she had immediately called Time Out, UConn could have advanced the ball to half court with 3 seconds on the clock.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My thoughts are that it was the most outrageous and pusillanimous referee review at the end of a game I have ever seen. There was clearly a shot clock violation at 4.3 seconds. There was clearly a timeout before .3 seconds. To not put any time back on the clock was an out right choke by the referees. The hometown timekeeper allowed the clock to run even after timeout was called. It was a terribly officiated game all along, not the least of which was a blatant punch/push by Dungee on a drive and a no call. It reminded me of high school game on somebody else's home court. Sickening.
That was not a shot clock violation. Sorry. CW pulled the bonehead play by dribbling and not calling a TO. That play was all on CW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom