Aresco on Realignment | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Aresco on Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The only leverage that the Sooners have is the Pac-12. That being said, the Pac-16 with OU and OSU in the south and BYU and Boise State in the North looks like a pretty darn good conference to me.

The Pac12 would disband as a conference before they would add either BYU or Boise. No chance.

Reaction Score
The big 12 has always been reactive. My guess is this noise is a reaction to bigger things going on behind the scenes. No way they make the only move. No way the next round of realignment excludes UConn. No way.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The big 12 has always been reactive. My guess is this noise is a reaction to bigger things going on behind the scenes. No way they make the only move. No way the next round of realignment excludes UConn. No way.
It is reactionary, its just years slow.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think that this noise is merely Oklahoma reminding Texas that OU also has a voice in this conference (although the reality is that UT has a full vote, OU has half a vote and the remaining eight schools combined have another half vote).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fear rule 1 of conference realignment or it's wrath will be devastating.

Reaction Score
That's by percentage of population. In sheer numbers there are way more Mormons in CA, TX, ID and WA than in NV.
http://www.mormonwiki.com/Membership_Statistics_U.S.[/QUOTE
I don't know about actual number but in the East Valley of Phoenix it seems there is a LDS church on every corner and huge Temples in Gilbert and Mesa.
They are also a dominant force in Republican politics in the state .
We also have a few FDS communes near the Utah boarder that don't count in those numbers.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Should have included AZ too. They have triple the number of Mormons that NV has.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Oh, I'd say it's almost certain to exclude us.

If the first couple rounds of expansion hurt and the last round really, really hurt, this next one is gonna make them look like the good old days.

Reaction Score
For any real shot at long term stability, the Big 12 should pick UConn and UCF. However, I still contend that UConn will be in the B1G by 2018, with Cincy and UCF joining the Big 12. This idea that realignment is dead for the next 10 years is simply silly. This race to the holy grail is a sprint not a marathon and the only real question left is who will finish last, the ACC or Big12.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is nothing the Big 12 can do to be stable in the long term.

All they can do is try and hold it together long enough and hope the television model changes enough that the SEC and Big 10 don't have as big a revenue gap.

Even getting Texas to scrap the LHN and creating a Big 12 network doesn't change their outlook.

Reaction Score
With the possible exception of the Big 12, which would be bad for us, expansion looks to be over for now.

I think there's nearly a 100% chance that the AAC is still whole after five years and probably 75% chance after ten years.

Wow, ten years, that's a helluva lot of non-key tweets!

Reaction Score
If realignment is over for the next 10 years, the next move for the P5 will be contraction, not expansion.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If the next round of CR is BXII adding only two schools, then it probably does exclude UConn. We have to wait for either B1G deciding to move and/or ACC to lose members.

Reaction Score
Wow, ten years, that's a helluva lot of non-key tweets!
... and, valuable kicks supporting Boneyard operations. When UCONN gets an invitation off of the AAC island, will the ongoing P5 clicks make up for the current non-key and key CR tweets? I jest, but only on the latter question.

Reaction Score
If realignment is over for the next 10 years, the next move for the P5 will be contraction, not expansion.

Expansion is a lot easier than contraction.

Just ask the NHL, which should have contracted years ago.

In D1 college sports, excluding the demise of the Big E and before that the SWC, I believe over the last 75 years only 3 schools have left a current P5 conference without immediately joining another P5 conference - U Chicago (B1G) downgraded to DIII in 1946, U South (SEC) downgraded to DIII in 1940, and Tulane in 1966 . Two schools left a P5 conference and joined another P5 several years later - Georgia Tech (left SEC in 1964, joined ACC in 1978) and U South Carolina (left ACC in 1971, joined SEC in 1991).

Reaction Score
Expansion is a lot easier than contraction.

Just ask the NHL, which should have contracted years ago.

In D1 college sports, excluding the demise of the Big E and before that the SWC, I believe over the last 75 years only 3 schools have left a current P5 conference without immediately joining another P5 conference - U Chicago (B1G) downgraded to DIII in 1946, U South (SEC) downgraded to DIII in 1940, and Tulane in 1966 . Two schools left a P5 conference and joined another P5 several years later - Georgia Tech (left SEC in 1964, joined ACC in 1978) and U South Carolina (left ACC in 1971, joined SEC in 1991).
Call it what you want, but if the next round of realignment is ten years from now, I am quite sure the G5 teams will be nearly extinct and schools like Alabama and Ohio State will be less willing to share the piece of the pie with the Vanderbilts and Northwesterns. I hear ya, but its a different model now.

Reaction Score
Call it what you want, but if the next round of realignment is ten years from now, I am quite sure the G5 teams will be nearly extinct and schools like Alabama and Ohio State will be less willing to share the piece of the pie with the Vanderbilts and Northwesterns. I hear ya, but its a different model now.

In the football centric SEC, I agree that there is a scenario that the have nots are kicked out. The B1G is a different story though as while football is important, it is just once key piece of a larger picture where other sports (total content) and academics are also very important. Northwestern is not a bad football program (they were in the 1996 Rose Bowl); but, their endowment is $9.8 billion, which is close to 3 times Ohio State's endowment of $3.5 billion. Unless Northwestern pulls a U Chicago and downgrades to DIII status, they are not going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom