Aresco on Realignment | The Boneyard

Aresco on Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aresco also reiterated his confidence in the stability of the league, one which endured a rumor last year that Cincinnati and Memphis were joining the Big-12.

“That was some guy on a talk show who invented that,” Aresco said. “I could be wrong, I am no prophet, but I think things could be stable [in the AAC] for next five or 10 years. The wild card right now is what the Big-12 plans to doing [about expansion].

“But I don’t pay attention to those things anymore. Our ambition to grow the AAC into the sixth [power] conference and the payouts and television exposure closer to the those other guys get.”

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ason-tourneys-in-one-site-20150307-story.html

P.S. You don't have to click on the link. That is all he said about realignment.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With the possible exception of the Big 12, which would be bad for us, expansion looks to be over for now.

I think there's nearly a 100% chance that the AAC is still whole after five years and probably 75% chance after ten years.

Reaction Score
Aresco also reiterated his confidence in the stability of the league, one which endured a rumor last year that Cincinnati and Memphis were joining the Big-12.

“That was some guy on a talk show who invented that,” Aresco said. “I could be wrong, I am no prophet, but I think things could be stable [in the AAC] for next five or 10 years. The wild card right now is what the Big-12 plans to doing [about expansion].

“But I don’t pay attention to those things anymore. Our ambition to grow the AAC into the sixth [power] conference and the payouts and television exposure closer to the those other guys get.”

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ason-tourneys-in-one-site-20150307-story.html

P.S. You don't have to click on the link. That is all he said about realignment.
How is he growing the AAC into the sixth power conference?

Reaction Score
With the possible exception of the Big 12, which would be bad for us, expansion looks to be over for now.

I think there's nearly a 100% chance that the AAC is still whole after five years and probably 75% chance after ten years.

On a day where in years past we would be heading into NYC tomorrow for a weekend of basketball and what ever else NYC presented that's a pretty depressing thought!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is he growing the AAC into the sixth power conference?
Well, I think he's trying for a TV payout that is worth more on a per school basis than we used to get for SNY broadcast of our women's games. Ambitious? Sure but he is a former CBS executive. He dreams big!

(Oh and by the way thanks for lumping our woman's games into that craptastic deal you made for league, asswipe! Basically, we get a net nothing.)

pj

Reaction Score
I am shocked, shocked to find realignment going on in this conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
Aresco is one of the guys I want to punch in the face. Hathaway is on the top of the list.

Reaction Score
I guess I can't blame Aresco for inheriting a sandwich and trying to call it delicious. But I blame Hathaway for making that sandwich and ramming it down our throats.

Wait, Hathaway actually got up from his desk in Storrs to make a shi! sandwich? That would be the most activity he undertook his entire AD career in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I am still waiting for someone in the "we hate Aresco Choir" to explain to me what leverage they think he wasted during his negotiation with ESPN.

Reaction Score
To be a power conference, you need at least some semblance of geographical cohesiveness and your member schools be of the "University of State" or "State State" type. But I don't blame him for at least feigning delusion.

Reaction Score

If you believe that go be true (and I agree), should we be in the ditch football camp and move to the Big East? If the AAC is our future for 10+ years, we run out of money for football and full cost of attendance by then.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Because I can be somewhat of a masochist at times, I checked out the AAC board on CSNbbs.com and found the following wish list of expansion candidates for our fellow conference members' fans:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-729402.html

I must warn you, you'll throw up.

None of these people seem to understand that we have no reason to expand as that just means more mouths to feed (and the league is diluted enough as is. Tulane?) not to mention that none of their candidates fit the model of "team that plays in a sizable metro even if it means they're the 8th most covered team in that city." Nothing screams big time like the second best program in West Virginia!

Reaction Score
I guess I can't blame Aresco for inheriting a sandwich and trying to call it delicious. But I blame Hathaway for making that sandwich and ramming it down our throats.
Don't think you're all alone out there defending Aresco. Met a guy last week told me Aresco eats on toast. I was all over the guy. Told him Aresco doesn't even like toast.

Reaction Score

That's really depressing. I am glad that I stopped giving money to UConn after they were snubbed by the ACC for Louisville.

Reaction Score
I am starting to not give fahk anymore. I'll be ecstatic if we get the call, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel. If there is, it will be train that rams into us after someone else gets called before us.

Reaction Score
I am starting to not give fahk anymore. I'll be ecstatic if we get the call, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel. If there is, it will be train that rams into us after someone else gets called before us.

I still have a few to give, but I am running low. Sucks, living down here in ACC country for 10+ years now, I used to take such pride in Uconn and the Big East. We were the best team in the best bball conference. Now, most my ACC friends forget the name of our conference, sad really.

Just invite UNC Charlotte already so I can at least go to a game every year.

CL82

Reaction Score
I am still waiting for someone in the "we hate Aresco Choir" to explain to me what leverage they think he wasted during his negotiation with ESPN.
False premise. I can't stand the guy because allowed what was formerly tier 3 money to UConn to be lumped in with that crappy deal and because early on in his tenure he'd pump up everyone but UConn, including Louisville after they'd already announced that they were leaving. And probably because he is the face of this sheet hole of a conference we find ourselves in.

CL82

Reaction Score
Aresco was the guy that was needed after Gavitt. He is the right person at the wrong time.
Maybe chin, based on his resume, but I haven't seen much that leads me to believe that that is accurate. Perhaps exposure, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom