Aresco on Realignment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aresco on Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I am still waiting for someone in the "we hate Aresco Choir" to explain to me what leverage they think he wasted during his negotiation with ESPN.

^^^ This. The money for our conference sucks, but it was going to suck no matter who was in charge.

For a slightly more sucky payout, he managed to keep our high tv exposure with a short contract period (in what other alternate universe could someone miraculously get East Carolina vs. Tulane basketball on ESPNU!). We're able to catch the vast majority of UConn football games and UConn basketball games on tv, and we have had a decent amount of games that were televised nationally. All we can hope for is that during the renegotiation period (2019?), that both UConn and AAC brands are strong enough to close the currently gigantic tv money gap between us and the other 5 conferences...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
^^^ This. The money for our conference sucks, but it was going to suck no matter who was in charge.

For a slightly more sucky payout, he managed to keep our high tv exposure with a short contract period (in what other alternate universe could someone miraculously get East Carolina vs. Tulane basketball on ESPNU!). We're able to catch the vast majority of UConn football games and UConn basketball games on tv, and we have had a decent amount of games that were televised nationally. All we can hope for is that during the renegotiation period (2019?), that both UConn and AAC brands are strong enough to close the currently gigantic tv money gap between us and the other 5 conferences...
Exactly. Additionally, we had absolutely no negotiating power. The new deal allows us to actually hold more than one and done negotiations. ESPN matched a low ball offer - that is all they had to do. We had absolutely no alternatives. It was a horribly concocted contract by the BE. We're out and we can renegotiate for a fair market deal, not a low ball offer.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Honest Q:

Since the payout is so low, can't the school or a group of boosters just buy the rights to certain games that would otherwise end up on the end of the cable dial, and broadcast them over-the-air locally?

I've always wondered this...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Honest Q:

Since the payout is so low, can't the school or a group of boosters just buy the rights to certain games that would otherwise end up on the end of the cable dial, and broadcast them over-the-air locally?

I've always wondered this...
I believe that is what CBSSN does - ESPN sells the rights to those games.

Reaction Score
People on here sound like five year olds when they make comments that presuppose that Aresco's job (or Gavit's for that matter) was to do what was good for UConn, rather than for the conference as a whole.
To paraphrase Engine Charlie Wilson, "What's good for UConn is good for the conference.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Engine Charlie Wilson, "What's good for UConn is good for the conference.

Yep. It wasn't Aresco's job to protect UCONN. But it was Manuel's job. The twains never met. Navy gets to keep half of the $5 million revenue from the Army/Navy game. So apparently not all animals are equal, nor negotiators.

In the end, one becomes weary of the "nothing could have been done crowd." It's been the mantra from the get go. And now UCONN slides towards irrelevancy being bled dry. Or is it being bled dry sliding towards irrelevancy?

Reaction Score
It was a tug of war. On one side, programs with D1 Football. On the other, basketball only. Both sides tugged for their own best interests. In the end, the rope split and UCONN dropped into the mud-pit while trying to make the crossover.

pj

Reaction Score
Yep. It wasn't Aresco's job to protect UCONN. But it was Manuel's job. The twains never met. Navy gets to keep half of the $5 million revenue from the Army/Navy game. So apparently not all animals are equal, nor negotiators.

In the end, one becomes weary of the "nothing could have been done crowd." It's been the mantra from the get go. And now UCONN slides towards irrelevancy being bled dry. Or is it being bled dry sliding towards irrelevancy?

The AAC had to persuade Navy to join. They didn't have to persuade UConn, UConn was already in the league. To have negotiating leverage, UConn needed someplace else to go. There was no place to go.

The AAC did make a bow to UConn in that we get a bigger share of exit fees than new arrivals. When the exit fees run out, so will the current contract. Maybe the new contract will have a Tier 3 division like the B12 to placate UConn. We'll see.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So ESPN was going to pay the same for the AAC rights if Uconn WBB...which draws more eyes than some men's teams in our conference..if the Conference Commissioner held them back to benefit Uconn over the rest of the conference. Again I ask, why would ESPN allow this?
I answer again, because the deal was too good to walk away from, regardless of woman's basketball.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If anybody is underrated in the CR hate list that led to the destruction of the BE, it is Pitt's president. Pitt was reportedly a driving force in the decision for the NBE to reject ESPN's offer and then they were the first to send out smoke signals to the Big 12 and eventually the ACC. They probably were telling both the B12 and the ACC to take Syracuse with them. That sent the dominoes of WVU, Rutgers, Louisville in motion (and wannabes Cincy USF and UConn) and also accelerated the Catholic 7 / Fox flirtation. Georgetown and Nova also deserves hate for being the leader of that flirtation as soon as it became obvious that their ESPN contract would no longer be a teat for them to suckle on after the good old days of the mega-Big East. Nova also gets hate for flip flopping on whether they would upgrade football in order to stabilize the conference (admittedly, this was a desperate Marinatto idea that was never going to happen, and Nova was a house divided on this matter). Syracuse deserves special hate for being mini-BCs and c*ck-blocking UConn once they got in the ACC.

Oh, and of course John Swofford. But you knew that already.

Reaction Score
Gawd...you left Notre Dame off of your hate list...and FSU, and BC...well, maybe it would be easier to just print those who aren't hated.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Gawd...you left Notre Dame off of your hate list...and FSU, and BC...well, maybe it would be easier to just print those who aren't hated.

There's plenty of hate to go around. Don't mock till your school has played two years in the AAC.

Reaction Score
There's plenty of hate to go around. Don't mock till your school has played two years in the AAC.
He comes here to mock. He is an FSU stalwart, here to screw with UConn fans. No other reason.

Reaction Score
Remember when the Big East was far superior to the ACC, despite the ACC hype? remember when the ACC was only UNC, Duke, and a wild-card? Every year, year after year after year? And suddenly here is ND which never ever made it to a single Big East championship in 18 years walking away with the ACC prize. Yes, the Big East was far superior to the ACC and that awesome hoops conference destroyed. It makes me nauseous.

Reaction Score

Give it a rest. This is a UCONN Board and we're just guests on it. If they want to complain about their current situation, its their prerogative to do so. They are first and foremost a basketball school. They went from being a part of a regional conference with the best competition in the country, to a spread out mishmash of schools playing in relative obscurity. Of all the teams that got the shaft when the CR Wheel was last spun, it would be hard to find one that got it worse than The Huskies.

Reaction Score
Oh good grief....I understand the Hate mantra well. As a fan of WVU as a 2nd school and poster on their board for 13 years (14,000 +posts and counting)......I understand...the "hate thing" has been so ingrained on that board that we joke about it and sometimes post hate lists semi tongue in cheek.

The Hate thing is an "us against the world" manifestation.....I don't take much seriously, and especially these broad declarations of hate.

Sure UConn fans feel shafted....and find lightning rods for their feelings. I provide that service for Buddy without near the cost of a therapist.

Reaction Score
Oh good grief....I understand the Hate mantra well. As a fan of WVU as a 2nd school and poster on their board for 13 years (14,000 +posts and counting).I understand...the "hate thing" has been so ingrained on that board that we joke about it and sometimes post hate lists semi tongue in cheek.

The Hate thing is an "us against the world" manifestation.....I don't take much seriously, and especially these broad declarations of hate.

Sure UConn fans feel shafted....and find lightning rods for their feelings. I provide that service for Buddy without near the cost of a therapist.

You become a lightning rod for this board's feelings when you post like you do. You're not on the WVU Board, so there is no understood context about hate lists or whatever you are talking about in your post. Your post comes across lacking all empathy regarding a group of people living through a ****ty situation that they have no control of.

If FSU was the defending national champion in football but stuck in The AAC for reasons that seem ridiculous and petty, you would likely be pretty pissed about things as well. Especially when Vandy was playing UGA and UF or WF was playing Clemson and GT. All the while you're welcoming Temple or SMU to Doak Walker.

Reaction Score
Oh good grief....I understand the Hate mantra well. As a fan of WVU as a 2nd school and poster on their board for 13 years (14,000 +posts and counting).I understand...the "hate thing" has been so ingrained on that board that we joke about it and sometimes post hate lists semi tongue in cheek.

I'm flattered.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

You're tedious, nothing more. You don't add to the is board, you detract from it. You think far too highly of yourself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My question on this AAC/other conference challenge. Will it be against the MAC or another G5 league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom