Aresco on Realignment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aresco on Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
False premise. I can't stand the guy because allowed what was formerly tier 3 money to UConn to be lumped in with that crappy deal and because early on in his tenure he'd pump up everyone but UConn, including Louisville after they'd already announced that they were leaving. And probably because he is the face of this sheet hole of a conference we find ourselves in.

You think ESPN was going to sign a deal without those rights? If so...why?

Reaction Score
Like that payed so much for the rights. 20 mm per year for the whole league.
UConn tier 3 were about a qtr of that.
UConn is actually paying for the privilege of ESPN carrying our games.

Reaction Score
I think Aresco is doing all that he can with what he was handed. A conference will not be a Power Conference without a couple of elite football programs so there is no way the AAC rises to join the P5. We have to settle for what the programs demand on average in the marketplace. This is our lot in the AAC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
After the first season, I think UConn fans can now assess what should have been done.

The NBC deal should have had provisions for prime time main network coverage, Sat noon, 2 pm, and Monday at 7 pm. That's really what we don't like about the schedule.

There should have been a division of tiered rights, leaving each school to sell a portion of its rights on it's own. WBB alone would have matched UConn's share of the AAC revenue. And, we wouldn't have games on CBSsports. A national network in name only.

Obviously he should have gotten a better deal out of NBC or Fox. The value was ridiculous.

Lastly, he should have muted the use of the old logos and records of the Big East when they sold the name. It was too easy for the new league to feed of the old one's legacy. Keep the name, but start over with new trademarks. The cred the C7 get for not losing to the old BE powers anymore is far more than they've earned on the court.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Because I can be somewhat of a masochist at times, I checked out the AAC board on CSNbbs.com and found the following wish list of expansion candidates for our fellow conference members' fans:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-729402.html

I must warn you, you'll throw up.

None of these people seem to understand that we have no reason to expand as that just means more mouths to feed (and the league is diluted enough as is. Tulane?) not to mention that none of their candidates fit the model of "team that plays in a sizable metro even if it means they're the 8th most covered team in that city." Nothing screams big time like the second best program in West Virginia!
The other fan bases in our conference are giddy about recreating the "glory" days of the CUSA. We honestly have more in common with the A10.

Reaction Score
Like that payed so much for the rights. 20 mm per year for the whole league.
UConn tier 3 were about a qtr of that.
UConn is actually paying for the privilege of ESPN carrying our games.

Again, do you think they were going to sign a deal that didn't include all tiers? If so, why?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Aresco is one of the guys I want to punch in the face. Hathaway is on the top of the list.
If you are going to start punching people in the face, Aresco is way down the list. Start with Hathaway. Add Blumenthal, DeFilippo, Mike Hogan (who ran out on us), our Florida State friends. Then, if your fist isn't broken you can get to others that had little to do with where we find ourselves now.

Reaction Score
False premise. I can't stand the guy because allowed what was formerly tier 3 money to UConn to be lumped in with that crappy deal and because early on in his tenure he'd pump up everyone but UConn, including Louisville after they'd already announced that they were leaving. And probably because he is the face of this sheet hole of a conference we find ourselves in.

People on here sound like five year olds when they make comments that presuppose that Aresco's job (or Gavit's for that matter) was to do what was good for UConn, rather than for the conference as a whole.

Reaction Score
Anyone who would say they stopped giving money to UConn after the ACC snub never actually gave any money in the first place.
I have anger issues with the administration. Also, there could be secret negotiations going on. The ones who know wouldn't tell the secret.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you think the while conference deal hinged the rights to a WBB team?

CL82

Reaction Score
People on here sound like five year olds when they make comments that presuppose that Aresco's job (or Gavit's for that matter) was to do what was good for UConn, rather than for the conference as a QUOTE] Reread what I posted counselor and realize that I never said that it was aresco's job to look after UConn's interest. People on hear sound like five year olds when they misread posts. ;-)

Reaction Score
Aresco also reiterated his confidence in the stability of the league, one which endured a rumor last year that Cincinnati and Memphis were joining the Big-12.

“That was some guy on a talk show who invented that,” Aresco said. “I could be wrong, I am no prophet, but I think things could be stable [in the AAC] for next five or 10 years. The wild card right now is what the Big-12 plans to doing [about expansion].

“But I don’t pay attention to those things anymore. Our ambition to grow the AAC into the sixth [power] conference and the payouts and television exposure closer to the those other guys get.”

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ason-tourneys-in-one-site-20150307-story.html

P.S. You don't have to click on the link. That is all he said about realignment.

Not much else he can say - he knows everyone is looking for an exit door, but has to act like we are all in the promised land. To me it is a confirmation that he is performing his duties in a completely predictable fashion.
With the possible exception of the Big 12, which would be bad for us, expansion looks to be over for now.

I think there's nearly a 100% chance that the AAC is still whole after five years and probably 75% chance after ten years.

Spare me the kick in the nuts this 11th day of March, 2015...

I'm generally considered to be a miserable , but you blew right by me. I am no Pollyanna, but I'm way more optimistic than that.
5 years on the outside and we'll be out of the gulag.

Fishmeister, do not despair...

Reaction Score
Do you think the while conference deal hinged the rights to a WBB team?

I think ESPN held all the chips in negotiations and clearly wanted WBB...one of the few in the country that moves the needle. I know they wanted because they have it. Aresco isn't an idiot, so I doubt he gave away something for no reason.

Do you think ESPN didn't want the rights to the greatest women's basketball program of all time? Or do you believe ESPN was going to take the rights to WBB while allowing the only valuable program to keep their rights? If so, why?

CL82

Reaction Score
I think ESPN held all the chips in negotiations and clearly wanted WBB...one of the few in the country that moves the needle. I know they wanted because they have it. Aresco isn't an idiot, so I doubt he gave away something for no reason.

Do you think ESPN didn't want the rights to the greatest women's basketball program of all time? Or do you believe ESPN was going to take the rights to WBB while allowing the only valuable program to keep their rights? If so, why?
I think that the only program who lost a million dollars on the tier 3 rights of their women's basketball program was UConn. Aresco made a decision that was inconsequential to the rest of the league but very detrimental to UConn. I strongly doubt that if he had excluded UConn women's basketball based upon the SNY deal that ESPN would have said well then we're not going to take the entire Big East sports package at a bargain rate. If you do, I guess we can agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
Again, do you think they were going to sign a deal that didn't include all tiers? If so, why?
Our former deal with ESPN didn't .they managed to some how sign that.
Why would ESPN expect to get possibly more than they are paying ?
Unless your arguing that the AAC as a conference has zero worth.
That they should essentially pay ESPN for the privilege of broadcasting their games.
If that's true ,than the league should have disbanded. Why would you add teams with zero worth.
I personally think ESPN is still chuckling over that deal
If you don't think the commissionor should be looking out for the largest revenue generating program , than you are naive.
In the B1G, UM,and OSU are catered to , Texas in the B12' FSU,in the ACC
Ala. In the SEC. Why because these schools are the revenue drivers in their respective conferences as is UConn basketball in the AAC.
Especially when you are saying, schools like ,Houston,SMU,UC, Temple,ECU,,USF,UCF,Tulane, and Memphis bring zero value
That's your agrument not mine.

Reaction Score
With the possible exception of the Big 12, which would be bad for us, expansion looks to be over for now.

I think there's nearly a 100% chance that the AAC is still whole after five years and probably 75% chance after ten years.
By "whole," do you mean as it stands today or that there will be 12 members? I am sure it will be around with 12 members. I am also, regrettably, accepting that it will look just as it looks today. The AAC will be here. The question is, will any of the current programs win the Lotto and escape?

Reaction Score
If the aac holds together for a while, clearly his challenge and likely biggest opportunity is to form some alliance with the g5 western schools, boise, byu, col. st, san diego st., fresno, etc in a fball and bball partnership. Bring more capable teams into the mix, and put together a "if you can't beat em, join em" super conference of the non p5 teams. Remake the product.

Reaction Score
People on here sound like five year olds when they make comments that presuppose that Aresco's job (or Gavit's for that matter) was to do what was good for UConn, rather than for the conference as a whole.
Problem is he's done a disastrous job with this conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He was given a bad hand to start. He will be judged on if he can negotiate a better deal in two years.

Problem is, I have no idea what that would look like. Certainly not getting P5 money and I wouldn't be happy with Big East money either.

If he's a real rock star he will get ESPN to re-up before the lookin period ends. Uncertain if they'd be willing to go a year early. I likely depends on the Big ten deal, the ACC network, and any other dominos

Reaction Score
Our former deal with ESPN didn't .they managed to some how sign that.
Why would ESPN expect to get possibly more than they are paying ?
Unless your arguing that the AAC as a conference has zero worth.
That they should essentially pay ESPN for the privilege of broadcasting their games.
If that's true ,than the league should have disbanded. Why would you add teams with zero worth.
I personally think ESPN is still chuckling over that deal
If you don't think the commissionor should be looking out for the largest revenue generating program , than you are naive.
In the B1G, UM,and OSU are catered to , Texas in the B12' FSU,in the ACC
Ala. In the SEC. Why because these schools are the revenue drivers in their respective conferences as is UConn basketball in the AAC.
Especially when you are saying, schools like ,Houston,SMU,UC, Temple,ECU,,USF,UCF,Tulane, and Memphis bring zero value
That's your agrument not mine.

To be clear, you don't see any difference in conditions and environments when those deals were written? Also, you believe ESPN was going 5 sign this deal while letting a valuable property like Uconn WBB slip away...and you think I am naive lol.

Reaction Score
I think that the only program who lost a million dollars on the tier 3 rights of their women's basketball program was UConn. Aresco made a decision that was inconsequential to the rest of the league but very detrimental to UConn. I strongly doubt that if he had excluded UConn women's basketball based upon the SNY deal that ESPN would have said well then we're not going to take the entire Big East sports package at a bargain rate. If you do, I guess we can agree to disagree.

So ESPN was going to pay the same for the AAC rights if Uconn WBB...which draws more eyes than some men's teams in our conference..if the Conference Commissioner held them back to benefit Uconn over the rest of the conference. Again I ask, why would ESPN allow this?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Why not sit down with the western G5 football schools and get them into one all sports conference. Take this conference and create an alliance with the American. They can cross over in FB, make some home and homes for hoops etc. and package it all together and see if you can get some one to plunk down some reasonable dollars for it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the aac holds together for a while, clearly his challenge and likely biggest opportunity is to form some alliance with the g5 western schools, boise, byu, col. st, san diego st., fresno, etc in a fball and bball partnership. Bring more capable teams into the mix, and put together a "if you can't beat em, join em" super conference of the non p5 teams. Remake the product.

It's nice in theory, but the television money would likely remain the same and the travel costs will go up - it's a net loser.

Plus, I don't think there's much will to do such a thing - the tops of each conference still want out.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you have to make an investment to make it payoff. That said, i think if you make it only bb and fb, and it's a alternative type format for road trips only every 2 or 3 years, it shouldn't be that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom