All-time Husky Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All-time Husky Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know what my strategy would be if I had the first pick, but don't really want to influence the process.

whoops. I just went and posted my strategy. Oh well, if anyone follows me they are an idiot.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Done - anyone else who isn't playing, let me know if you want to discuss draft strategy - it's pretty interesting.

Yep add me. I just deleted my theory.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I would like to participate. Maybe run a 2nd draft or an expanded draft? Though I'm sure managing 2 concurrent drafts/matchups would be a pain.

Also, I think you should make a rule where posters aren't able to discuss their own matchups. That way there's no bias or arguing and it's left to the community. Just a thought...
I will try to help run it - but I'm west coast and don't usually look at stuff until after 8pm ET.

I'm torn on the posters commenting. On one hand it would be good to see them choose their team and let others debate, but then again, they chose who they chose, maybe they should give arguments as to why their choices are correct.

If you do two drafts, you could run the games from each on subsequent days. Leave a day to vote on each game. That leaves a day of lobbying on the off game matchups and a day to vote on the current ones.

Again - I have a private conversation for anyone not in to debate draft strategy - let me know if you want to be included.

Reaction Score
So, have we decided on two drafts, or are we going to stick with the original plan? It looks like we probably have enough for two drafts if that's what we decide to do.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So, have we decided on two drafts, or are we going to stick with the original plan? It looks like we probably have enough for two drafts if that's what we decide to do.

Champs, some of the brighter minds on the Boneyard have been discussing strategy elsewhere. One of the points that was brought up: selections should reflect each player's relative collegiate skill level at UCONN. Any professional development post UCONN should be ignored. eg Ray Allen is a Junior forward at UCONN, not an NBA Hall of Famer.

For the betterment of the exercise, I'm willing to abstain from participation. Frankly, I don't think it would be fair to the other participants were I to be involved. That said, I may be willing to offer my analytic expertise for a small fee.

Reaction Score
OK, so jleves and I have decided that the best course of action is to run two drafts. Everything I said in my original post still holds true, with a couple of additional modifications: when a poster is on the clock, he will inform me of his selection by direct messaging me (top right corner under inbox for those that are newer). From that point, your selection is locked, and you will not be able to change your mind. One thread will be devoted to each draft (which I will start tomorrow afternoon around 2 PM ET), and each poster on the clock will have up to 24 hours to make their selection or we will have to replace them (if you have a scheduling conflict, let me know and we can work something out).

To re-iterate: when you draft a player, you're getting that player at his absolute peak (i.e., in most cases, the last year they played here), and you're drafting these teams as if they are actually going to compete (so drafting four point guards is not advisable). After all the rosters are finalized, I will open up one poll per day, and the results in the voting booth will determine which team gets to go on. Each team representative will have one post to convince the masses that they have the superior team.

As of now, here is who I have listed for game one (I decided to simply determine draft order by who responded first, so the first respondent gets first pick, second respondent gets second pick, etc.):

1. Carlos
2. Matrim55
3. Scoe
4. Edge207
5. Jfuchs91
6. UConNick
7. Aburks41
8. YearoftheHusky

I'm only at six participants thus far for game two, so the next two inform me they'd like to participate are in:

1. Tenspro2002
2. UCFBfan
3. CTBasketball
4. Tzzandrew
5. UC23Leahy
6. PcketnfNiels

I would encourage those who are participating in the games to stay out of the opposing thread so that you aren't influenced by anybody. If you have additional questions before we get going, let me know.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
OK, so jleves and I have decided that the best course of action is to run two drafts. Everything I said in my original post still holds true, with a couple of additional modifications: when a poster is on the clock, he will inform me of his selection by direct messaging me (top right corner under inbox for those that are newer). From that point, your selection is locked, and you will not be able to change your mind. One thread will be devoted to each draft (which I will start tomorrow afternoon around 2 PM ET), and each poster on the clock will have up to 24 hours to make their selection or we will have to replace them (if you have a scheduling conflict, let me know and we can work something out).

To re-iterate: when you draft a player, you're getting that player at his absolute peak (i.e., in most cases, the last year they played here), and you're drafting these teams as if they are actually going to compete (so drafting four point guards is not advisable). After all the rosters are finalized, I will open up one poll per day, and the results in the voting booth will determine which team gets to go on. Each team representative will have one post to convince the masses that they have the superior team.

Couple things:

1. don't forget to emphasize "peak of UCONN career". There are no NBA all-stars on these teams. Drummond won't be putting up 26/26.

2. Also, not that it matters to me, but isn't 24hrs a bit long? While the draft probably won't last that long, it could conceivably last a month!

3. Is it going to be 5 player teams or will some form of bench be required?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Couple things:

1. don't forget to emphasize "peak of UCONN career". There are no NBA all-stars on these teams. Drummond won't be putting up 26/26.

2. Also, not that it matters to me, but isn't 24hrs a bit long? While the draft probably won't last that long, it could conceivably last a month!

3. Is it going to be 5 player teams or will some form of bench be required?
2) people will make their picks pretty quickly generally so it won't be 24 hours for each pick. As soon as someone picks, the clock starts ticking for the next player. You will probably get through a couple rounds/night when people are actively here. The 24 hour thing just allows someone who doesn't boneyard from work time to get to their pick.
3) he said 7 total picks in the original post.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
2) people will make their picks pretty quickly generally so it won't be 24 hours for each pick. As soon as someone picks, the clock starts ticking for the next player. You will probably get through a couple rounds/night when people are actively here. The 24 hour thing just allows someone who doesn't boneyard from work time to get to their pick.
3) he said 7 total picks in the original post.

Thanks jleves, I missed the 7 picks in my excitement to read the rest of the thread. You are right about the 24hr thing. Realistically, anyone participating is going to be pretty active about it anyway.

Reaction Score
This sounds awesome, I'm really looking forward to it.

One point of clarification: will the Yard be instructed to consider our players at the peak of their talents while at UConn, or based on their production over their entire career?

The former would privilege late bloomers, while the latter would make consistently solid guys more valuable.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

One point of clarification: will the Yard be instructed to consider our players at the peak of their talents while at UConn, or based on their production over their entire career?

The former would privilege late bloomers, while the latter would make consistently solid guys more valuable.

Peak. Only way to play fair.

Reaction Score
Couple things:

To clarify, yes, you are drafting these players at the peak of their college careers, and anything they accomplish post-UConn is irrelevant for the purposes of the game. For example, if you draft Kemba, you're getting the 2011 version and only the 2011 version, not a concoction of all three years he played here. Shabazz does not receive additional credit for winning a title his freshman year, Rip only receives credit for his junior year, etc.

And yes, intlzncester, hopefully the draft only takes a few days. I'll have the official draft threads up in a couple hours.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Im assuming you'll do random brackets after the drafts are concluded?

Reaction Score
Im assuming you'll do random brackets after the drafts are concluded?

Yeah, that's probably the most fair way to do it. I considered seeding the teams, but I don't want to influence people so I'll just randomize it.

Reaction Score
Does peak mean season or game? I guess that'll be up to those evaluating the teams. Would you take Tony Robertson as your shooting guard off the bench hoping for one of his explosive games (or Cup Cormier you get either 21pts or 6 TO's) or go with comparatively reliable 6th man Rashad Anderson?
Was Brian Fair's peak year his sophomore year?
Kevin Freeman his junior year (I say yes) ?
Khalid his freshman year (highest scoring, surprised people) or sophomore year? (I'd definitely take his soph over junior)?

Someone like Josh Boone is easier in a different way. Clearly his 2nd year was better than his 3rd, but that wasn't Josh so much as who the big playing with him. If Josh is your starting center or playing with Jake, Drummond or Thabeet its trouble, pair Josh in a complimentary role with a scoring big like Uncle Cliffy or even Travis Knight and he's fine.

Reaction Score
To clarify, yes, you are drafting these players at the peak of their college careers, and anything they accomplish post-UConn is irrelevant for the purposes of the game. For example, if you draft Kemba, you're getting the 2011 version and only the 2011 version, not a concoction of all three years he played here. Shabazz does not receive additional credit for winning a title his freshman year, Rip only receives credit for his junior year, etc.

And yes, intlzncester, hopefully the draft only takes a few days. I'll have the official draft threads up in a couple hours.

Really cool idea. Why not just set up a time to do the draft on a live chat and put a 5 minute limit on each pick. It will be a lot quicker than waiting for people to pick here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom