A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
We just had freshmen shooting guard that was required to be a pt guard named Hartley and a freshman center named Dolson get us to Final Fours and complete a 90 game win streak!!!! It'll be more fun winning- more coaching involved!!!!
Have NO FEAR!!!!! We'll be Rolly Massamino's old Villanova team and win championships!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
The just concluded tournament showed that raw talent alone isn't enough. Coaching - preparation, motivation, pre-game and in-game strategy - is crucial too. And, not to knock specific teams, but some strong rosters simply lack what Geno & his assistants bring to the sideline. All of which is to say I'm not worried about single recruits. Geno is going to get his share of talented kids and he's going to get more from them than than many competitors.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be the ultimate of irony for all these kids to end up at UNC for both the men's and women's program to lose tournament rights for a couple of years. I would hope A'ja and any kids considering UNC would take that possibility into their plans.
Is that possible? I honestly hadn't considered that. NCAA seems pretty hands off on this, and I think I saw an article yesterday that called into question the legality of the sanctions levied on Penn State, so they may want to lay low for a bit.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Difference is that academics is in the NCAA wheelhouse the Sandusky situation was not. Ask Shabazz about the NCAA and academic sanctions.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
We have a top 5 class coming in, even without A'ja, so it wouldn't be that big a deal. That's not to say that I wouldn't love for her to be a Gamec o c k, but some kids want to leave home for college.

I find it hard to believe you don't think it would be that big a deal. Especially since it was looking good for her going to SC. Top 5 classes are nice but getting a top player at their position is a real big deal for final four aspirations. Rutgers has had top 5 classes since they went to the final four without anything to show for it (Unless you count an NIT title).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, I find it somewhat ironic that (to my delight) you locked one Wilson Watch thread only to open one of your own! :(:oops::confused:
I didn't lock that thread because of the topic; I locked it because it was becoming uncivil. I knew there would be one or two ill-advised comments and I responded right away, reminding people we do not trash players here unless I come late to the party, as I did in the other thread. MUCH to my dismay, I'd like to add. And people have responded positively in this thread. Thanks to all who've participated.

Reaction Score
If there were then it wouldn't be a rumor :p
So I guess theories are never to be perused to arrive at fact. In my former profession, I often did just that try to substantiate rumors, anything that could possibly lead to solving an investigation. So once again, is there anything that is there to substantiate this rumor. Isn't that what is logical, to turn rumor into fact or is just leaving it there, hanging with no sense of wanting to know.

Reaction Score
So I guess theories are never to be perused to arrive at fact. In my former profession, I often did just that try to substantiate rumors, anything that could possibly lead to solving an investigation. So once again, is there anything that is there to substantiate this rumor. Isn't that what is logical, to turn rumor into fact or is just leaving it there, hanging with no sense of wanting to know.

Patience, grasshopper. That will be fact next week. Or not.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No; we already have 4 other great players in this class. I want A'ja to be a Gamec o c k, but only if she's all in. Dawn doesn't play.
Sorry, but not getting her when you were so sure is certainly a big deal.

And was does it mean that you want her to be a Gamec ock but only if she is all in? If she verballed to USC you think there is a chance she wouldn't be?

Dawn doesn't play what?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Sorry, but not getting her when you were so sure is certainly a big deal.

And was does it mean that you want her to be a Gamec ock but only if she is all in? If she verballed to USC you think there is a chance she wouldn't be?

Dawn doesn't play what?
Dawn doesn't play games. If A'ja wants to come to USC, we will be excited to have her, but if she goes elsewhere, we will move on. As a fan, I've always taken more of a liking to the good players who are hung ho about being there, more than superstars who may not mesh as well.

I'll give you an example: Kaydra Duckett is ecstatic about being a Gamec cock and I'm excited about seeing her play. I also can't wait to see Bianca Cuevas, the MGB Spitfire, in the garnet and black.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If there were then it wouldn't be a rumor :p
Beat me to it, though I was going to say..."I can substantiate that it definitely is a rumor."

Reaction Score
Dawn doesn't play games. If A'ja wants to come to USC, we will be excited to have her, but if she goes elsewhere, we will move on. As a fan, I've always taken more of a liking to the good players who are hung ho about being there, more than superstars who may not mesh as well.

I'll give you an example: Kaydra Duckett is ecstatic about being a Gamec rooster and I'm excited about seeing her play. I also can't wait to see Bianca Cuevas, the MGB Spitfire, in the garnet and black.
I feel the same way about the recruits we have coming in who by their social media postings are just excited about being Huskies and can't wait to get here. Those are the kids likely to give 110%+ to the program every day and that you can't wait to see hit the court. Kind of why Dolson and Hartley leaving has seemingly been the most emotional departure we've seen in a long, long time. You could tell with those two that they just love UConn and fully appreciated the opportunity they were given. At the start of the season SNY had an All-Access show and they were interviewing Hartley about her senior year and she talked about how fast her college career went and how much she loved it there, so I knew she was gonna be an emotional wreck at the end of this season. I think the kids that come in with no expectations that are willing to give their all are the ones you become most attached to as opposed to star players that are looking for what the program can do for them before they even step foot on a campus.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't lock that thread because of the topic; I locked it because it was becoming uncivil. I knew there would be one or two ill-advised comments and I responded right away, reminding people we do not trash players here unless I come late to the party, as I did in the other thread. MUCH to my dismay, I'd like to add. And people have responded positively in this thread. Thanks to all who've participated.

Heck, Nan, I know why you shut it down. Just suspect you will be doing the same with this one for the same reason.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I'll give you an example: Kaydra Duckett is ecstatic about being a Gamec rooster and I'm excited about seeing her play. I also can't wait to see Bianca Cuevas, the MGB Spitfire, in the garnet and black.

Sorry, but USC isn't at the caliber of team where not getting the #1 recruit is no big deal. I understand you downplaying it. But not only is she the #1 recruit, but she is local.

It's a big deal.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I feel the same way about the recruits we have coming in who by their social media postings are just excited about being Huskies and can't wait to get here. Those are the kids likely to give 110%+ to the program every day and that you can't wait to see hit the court. Kind of why Dolson and Hartley leaving has seemingly been the most emotional departure we've seen in a long, long time. You could tell with those two that they just love UConn and fully appreciated the opportunity they were given. At the start of the season SNY had an All-Access show and they were interviewing Hartley about her senior year and she talked about how fast her college career went and how much she loved it there, so I knew she was gonna be an emotional wreck at the end of this season. I think the kids that come in with no expectations that are willing to give their all are the ones you become most attached to as opposed to star players that are looking for what the program can do for them before they even step foot on a campus.
Every kid is looking for what a program can do for them.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
With all the possible information available:

-2x National champions, on a mission for more
-The coach incumbent Olympian
- Nine National Championships
-a slot open for a young woman of size
- the most outstanding record of player development, Olympians, WNBA stars, etc, etc, etc

How can any choice but UConn be rational for an ambitious young woman?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, it typically takes place every recruiting cycle, so there must be an answer out there somewhere....
Rational is not a good word for it. There are always good reasons for attending other schools. We sometimes lose sight of that.

Reaction Score
Because there are other factors involved in making the decision. It isn't just basketball. Basketball may in fact not even be the most important factor in the decision. You'd think UConn could just pick their roster, but apparently it ain't so. Like Geno says, most good players go to other schools, and Wilson may or may not follow suit.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Because there are other factors involved in making the decision. It isn't just basketball. Basketball may in fact not even be the most important factor in the decision. You'd think UConn could just pick their roster, but apparently it ain't so. Like Geno says, most good players go to other schools, and Wilson may or may not follow suit.

For this kid:
It's just about Basketball.

Reaction Score
With all the possible information available:

-2x National champions, on a mission for more
-The coach incumbent Olympian
- Nine National Championships
-a slot open for a young woman of size
- the most outstanding record of player development, Olympians, WNBA stars, etc, etc, etc

So, if Wilson goes somewhere else she's irrational? Nice.

1) UConn is not for everyone
2) Geno is not for everyone
3) By this logic, Rebecca Lobo should've gone to Stanford, not UConn
4) There are lots of factors that go into this decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads