A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Please, folks, do NOT speculate on motivation or draw conclusions about A'ja's personality, ego, etc. The rules specifically prohibit harmful speculation and, besides, it's juvenile to trash a 17 year old kid because you're disappointed she's not going to be a Husky.

Right on, Nan.
1. Folks, it's a r-u-m-o-r. Why all the excited comments or, worse still, judgments?
2. Wild-eyed speculation is just another form of self-indulgence. At best, it's not useful; at worst, it can make us look mean spirited.
If this is how we react to rumors, how we this board react on April 16 if this talented young woman chooses other than UConn.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Some of you people sound like the ESPN experts who were picking everybody UCONN played....let it go
NOBODY , NOBODY, KNOWS, Just wait till 16th Also there looks like a lot of moles that want this board to
look BAD, like it's UCONN Talking.....

You talkin to me Bubba?

WhereDoesItEndWithYouPeople-71817.jpg

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes, it's just a rumor. But when the mod posts it on the Blog it carries more weight.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am afraid that if Nan is impressed enough by the likelihood of a rumor's being true to post it on the blog, you can pretty much take that rumor to the bank. Actually, assuming that the rumor is true (which I do), the next three or four years should be very interesting years for wcbb, with the wild talent at UNC competing against the perhaps lesser-talented but much better-coached teams at UConn, Stanford, SCar, ND, L'ville, etc. (Note that I say "perhaps"-these schools will also have a wealth of talent.) It will be the essentially "men's style" ball of spectacular individual moves (maybe even -gasp- slam dunks and even alley oops) vs the much more disciplined styles of the other top teams. It will probably add a considerable amount of drama to wcbb and I, for one, will look forward to watching it develop. I severely doubt that there is a NC in UNC's future.

Reaction Score
Icebear said:
I wish she had not posted it, especially, after locking the last thread because it just started it up all over again. Oy!

Agree here. As soon as I saw the rumor post I knew it would start up again. Why bother posting a rumor in the first place? Not a fact and simply opens the door wide for further speculation, rumors and innuendo.

Reaction Score
It would not be a surprise, probably a good fit for her. She has perimeter instincts without perimeter skills and most likely realized she would not play out there with Conn. And one thing she will not be is an "anchor" in the paint wherever she goes. With the incoming size and talent he has, Geno could use a couple of horses up front.

Reaction Score
bschwartz- - - Of all the schools out there A'ja will not reach her full potential at NoCar under Sylvia Hatchell! I realize her final 4 choices are TN, SoCar, NoCar & UCONN, but either SoCar or UCONN will seem to have the coaching staffs and philosophies to take their players to a higher level! UCONN more than anyone but SoCar made huge strides this past season but NoCar and TN are going no-where with the coaches now on the bench!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm waiting until the 16th. If the rumor is true, UNC would have a very talented and athletic team. Would Diamond share the ball and the spotlight, though?

Diamond shared the ball this year. I thought she was too unselfish in the game against Stanford and passed at times when she had an open shot in the lane.

WOW...if Wilson is all that she is advertised to be, UNC will be the team competing with UCONN next year, not Notre Dame.

Bill Slattery

uconndog51
Reaction Score
How many scholarship players will NC have next year if A. Wilson signs with them? 15? Currently, their roster shows all 13 of their players returning from this year's squad, plus one recruit already signed for 2014.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Diamond has a tendency at times to not want her teamates to outdo her. Lebron is her favorite player but she more like Kobe, more Angel than she is Maya. UNC had games in which the post players took only 4-6 shots per game and they wtre frustrated. Xylina had to go to the perimeter to take some shots. Throw A'ja in the mix with those volume shooters/scorers whose knows what's going to happen.

A whole lot of winning, that is what is going to happen. I thought that Hatchell's absence actually helped this team mature more quickly than they would have otherwise, as they adopted the "play for coach" theme.

I watched Diamond multiple times and never saw incidents where she "didn't want her teammates to outdo her." She didn't always make the best decisions, but I never got the impression that she was a bad teammate.

Next year should be very interesting!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish she had not posted it, especially, after locking the last thread because it just started it up all over again. Oy!
Yeah I thought it was weird the other thread was locked and an hour later a new one popped up. I say lock this one and delete any new Wilson threads until the end of next week. This topic is going to go as well as one that is about politics.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Please, folks, do NOT speculate on motivation or draw conclusions about A'ja's personality, ego, etc. The rules specifically prohibit harmful speculation and, besides, it's juvenile to trash a 17 year old kid because you're disappointed she's not going to be a Husky.

Nan, I find it somewhat ironic that (to my delight) you locked one Wilson Watch thread only to open one of your own! :(:oops::confused:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I will chime in - what is the point of setting a special date for announcing your choice, and then allowing the rumor to escape a week before that date? Perhaps she didn't. Perhaps someone broke a confidence...

It's just odd.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I believe Nan. She would know. However I've heard from a few different people who have said USC and UConn that was at the McDonalds AA game. So perhaps she changed her mind. So I will wait for April 16th to be sure.

Remember this for next season. As good as UNC looks on paper they lost to Stanford this year and as good as NDs offense was this year they lost also. Both Stanford and ND lost to UConns defense. If UNC plays solid defense they can compete with UConn but right now they don't.

I will look forward to a UNC UConn matchup. We still have Stewart and I dont think we lose while shes here.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If UNC plays solid defense they can compete with UConn but right now they don't.

What? The Fab 5 are going to be asked to play defense too? Well if they are going to be asked to play defense then they are going to want some of those mens ez classes, that they dont have to attend, I read about the other day.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What? The Fab 5 are going to be asked to play defense too? Well if they are going to be asked to play defense then they are going to want some of those mens ez classes, that they dont have to attend, I read about the other day.
It wasn't just the men.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
But she never wanted to play in the post - she wanted to be a wing. So it still doesn't really address UConn's needs. Auriemma probably told her that she will play wherever he thinks is best for the team and she probably wanted to play at a school that guaranteed her a wing position. That's my take on it at least.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm sorry Triad.....u keep getting bad news. First your coach.....now Wilson. #mycondolences

:( I got concerned about this thread..... and i had to step away from the computer for a bit... so i was checking on updates on my phone....... had to restart the phone... but it never came back on :(:(:(:( So you are right.... i keep getting bad news......... my phone is much more important to me than Wilson or my Coach

:oops:

But she never wanted to play in the post - she wanted to be a wing. So it still doesn't really address UConn's needs. Auriemma probably told her that she will play wherever he thinks is best for the team and she probably wanted to play at a school that guaranteed her a wing position. That's my take on it at least.

Actually UNC needs a Post player.. not a 6-5 inch wing . they have no depth at the 4 and 5 spots.... but thats for them to worry about if this rumor actually pans out

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So why no sanctions for UNC?
Wouldn't it be the ultimate irony for all these kids to end up at UNC and for both the men's and women's programs to lose tournament rights for a couple of years. I would hope A'ja and any kids considering UNC would take that possibility into their plans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr