A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson pre-commitment threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For those concerned about A'ja going to UNC if she goes there remember this. Baylor had Sims and Griner and won one NC. The reason they only won one. Coaching. How many teams are loaded with talent and didnt make the FF? We've got Geno and although we may not go 195-0 lol meaning we may lose some games over the next 4 years but I wouldnt count on that either we are still number 1. Maybe we dont win every game by double digits but we are still the team to beat because of defense and coaching. UConn is a team unit and most other teams are individual players playing together

Reaction Score
Agreed:
Next Year
Kaleena vs Diamond - even possibly a slight edge to Diamond
Breanna vs A'ja Wlison - major advantage Breanna
Moriah vs Grey - even, possibly slight edge to Moriah
Tuck vs Mavunga - If Tuck is healthy even
Stokes vs Xlina McDaniel - slight advantage McDaniel

Bench North Carolina loaded; UConn Chong, Banks, 4 freshman...

No way Diamond has any edge what so ever over Kaleena. KML is a better shooter and rebounder and is much more experienced then diamond. Solid advantage KML. Mo also has a solid advantage over Grey. Kiah is a 100% better defensive player then McDaniel and should her offensive skills improve it would also be a solid advantage. If they meet next year UCONN will win by 20+ points.

Reaction Score
For those concerned about A'ja going to UNC if she goes there remember this. Baylor had Sims and Griner and won one NC. The reason they only won one. Coaching. How many teams are loaded with talent and didnt make the FF? We've got Geno and although we may not go 195-0 lol meaning we may lose some games over the next 4 years but I wouldnt count on that either we are still number 1. Maybe we dont win every game by double digits but we are still the team to beat because of defense and coaching. UConn is a team unit and most other teams are individual players playing together
Hi Tony!
It's been a while since my last post. Katie Lou Samuelson. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I get the impression she might actually break family tradition and come to Storrs. She looks like a match-up nightmare.

Reaction Score
I find it amazing a player like Wison would even think about playing time as an issue. As I have said many times, it's the other players who need to worry about playing time, not the Maya's, DT's, Stewart's, Wilson's, or Durr's of the world. Uconn has plenty of playing time for a post player with only 3 on the roster. I actually think she would start at Uconn unless she struggles in some way. At Uconn she won't have the pressure to carry her team on her shoulders. I know they have Diamond, but teams that have come up short for so long carry an extra burden of getting over a hump that is harder than they think. I believe ND with it's big strong front court, Lloyd, and sharp shooting wings will still be the best team in the ACC next year. I do think Wilson comes across as a player who wants to become great (no high school player is there yet despite what they are told) so it boggles the mind that after watching Uconn play she thinks ANY other coach can improve her game more than Geno.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Possibly the worst coaching staff in the nation! If you don't count CVS and Rutgers! Sylvia cannot take that much talent to a Final 4 let alone a National Championship!
Well Hatchell has taken them to a NC and a couple FF's in the past. Granted, not many, but with that much talent, I think NC can get to the FF. Not sure if they can beat UCONN the next couple years, but they'll be good.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Agreed:
Next Year
Kaleena vs Diamond - even possibly a slight edge to Diamond
Breanna vs A'ja Wlison - major advantage Breanna
Moriah vs Grey - even, possibly slight edge to Moriah
Tuck vs Mavunga - If Tuck is healthy even
Stokes vs Xlina McDaniel - slight advantage McDaniel

Bench North Carolina loaded; UConn Chong, Banks, 4 freshman...

1) its Gray... not Grey.... Just like its Chelsea Gray.. not Grey :p

2) that line-up for UNC doesnt have a pg.... so one of the players you listed has to come off of the bench

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I find it amazing a player like Wison would even think about playing time as an issue. As I have said many times, it's the other players who need to worry about playing time, not the Maya's, DT's, Stewart's, Wilson's, or Durr's of the world. Uconn has plenty of playing time for a post player with only 3 on the roster. I actually think she would start at Uconn unless she struggles in some way. At Uconn she won't have the pressure to carry her team on her shoulders. I know they have Diamond, but teams that have come up short for so long carry an extra burden of getting over a hump that is harder than they think. I believe ND with it's big strong front court, Lloyd, and sharp shooting wings will still be the best team in the ACC next year. I do think Wilson comes across as a player who wants to become great (no high school player is there yet despite what they are told) so it boggles the mind that after watching Uconn play she thinks ANY other coach can improve her game more than Geno.

Problem is that she wants to play KML and Stewart's positions. That, and maybe she wants to carry a team on her shoulders as a freshman, who knows?

Reaction Score
Well Hatchell has taken them to a NC and a couple FF's in the past. Granted, not many, but with that much talent, I think NC can get to the FF. Not sure if they can beat UCONN the next couple years, but they'll be good.
The only reason Sylvia Hatchell has a NC is Charlotte Smith hit a 3 with 2 sec. left vs GA & Andy Landers! If I remember correctly she blew a lead and came back when Ms. Smith sank the 3! Sylvia joins the unique group of great recruiters that are lousy game coaches: Gail Goestenkors, Brenda Frese, Andy Landers, CVS, Jim Foster, Holly Warlick, Nell Fortner, JoAnne P. McCallie, Et Al! If you watch NoCar play they are a "female NBA team"! They are too undisciplined to get to a FF and win a NC! With GREAT coaches out there like Geno, Tara, Jeff W., among others they would out coach Sylvia on their worst days!

Reaction Score
The best thing for Aja would be the daily competition with Stewie in practice. Seeing her once a year won't bring the daily battles that make each better every day. Both long and lean, extensive reach. Each will hit a higher ceiling in this scenario and Aja has said she wants to be the best she can be. Stewie awaits!

Reaction Score
You beat me to it.

If we are talking next year, I would take KML in a heartbeat.

KML with 20lbs off……..otherwise not so much. She needs to create better for sure and will need a strict off season to be what she can be.

Reaction Score
The only reason Sylvia Hatchell has a NC is Charlotte Smith hit a 3 with 2 sec. left vs GA & Andy Landers! If I remember correctly she blew a lead and came back when Ms. Smith sank the 3! Sylvia joins the unique group of great recruiters that are lousy game coaches: Gail Goestenkors, Brenda Frese, Andy Landers, CVS, Jim Foster, Holly Warlick, Nell Fortner, JoAnne P. McCallie, Et Al! If you watch NoCar play they are a "female NBA team"! They are too undisciplined to get to a FF and win a NC! With GREAT coaches out there like Geno, Tara, Jeff W., among others they would out coach Sylvia on their worst days!

1. North Carolina beat Louisiana Tech in the 1994 national championship game on the Charlotte Smith three pointer with less than a second remaining.
2. Leads change often in the course of games. Most of them cannot be attributed to the coach.
3. On their way to that 1994 national championship, North Carolina beat UConn quite handily in the Elite 8 game. UConn was seeded #1, UNC was a #3 seed. UConn's starting five: Rebecca Lobo, Kara Wolters, Jamelle Elliott, Pam Weber, and Jennifer Rizzotti; A pretty good UConn team by any standard.
4. As posted about a year ago, until Maya came to Storrs, UConn was 2-5 against North Carolina.
5. A female NBA team? What in the world are you talking about? Do you even know?
6. Except for Coach Warlick, all the "lousy game coaches" you list have been to at least one Final Four. I realize that these are your opinions, but what are they based on? I still do not understand the criticisms leveled against coaches who have been successful with their approaches.
7. Sometimes players and teams have bad games that have absolutely nothing to do with coaching.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You beat me to it.

If we are talking next year, I would take KML in a heartbeat.
A milliheartbeat! Everyone on the DD bandwagon should check out her FG% before making rash comparisons. She may be great before all is said and done but she's got a ways to go.

Reaction Score
No way Diamond has any edge what so ever over Kaleena. KML is a better shooter and rebounder and is much more experienced then diamond. Solid advantage KML. Mo also has a solid advantage over Grey. Kiah is a 100% better defensive player then McDaniel and should her offensive skills improve it would also be a solid advantage. If they meet next year UCONN will win by 20+ points.
Agree with your comments Connboy ... however I think it's more like 15 points. UNC will get a huge boost just from the freshmen being one year older/wiser. The gap will narrow considerably two years from now, but there is still ND to contend with. UNC probably has to wait until TBS, MoJeff and Loyd graduate to get a championship.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree she is not a good coach, but to say she can't get the FF and win a NC, is just wrong. She already did it. It's just facts man.

Reaction Score
A milliheartbeat! Everyone on the DD bandwagon should check out her FG% before making rash comparisons. She may be great before all is said and done but she's got a ways to go.

What is so terribly inadequate about Ms DeShield's FG%. It matches up comparably and, in some cases, favorably to all the great guards at UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What is so terribly inadequate about Ms DeShield's FG%. It matches up comparably and, in some cases, favorably to all the great guards at UConn.
An overall shooting percentage of .426 and especially a 3 point percentage of .279 for someone shooting 172 3 pointers is not comparable to any of the 'great' guards at Uconn. She is a freshman and I expect those numbers will improve, but they are not yet at a 'good' level. She is a dynamic player and will likely have a great college career, but shooting percentage is a legitimate limitation in her first year.
Uconn guards as freshman:
Sue - .502/.497 (sophomore as she only played 8 games before injury)
Bria - .468/.392
Tiff - .458/.374
Rene - .431/.336
Jen - .403/.373
DT - .444/.386
Moriah - .424/.266 (playing limited minutes and taking 172 total FG attempts - and no one was calling her great, in fact we had debates if she would start this year.)
The only player in that group that was being touted as 'great' as a freshman was DT - and I think that is the 'reservation' that is being expressed by people.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Listen up people - DO NOT SPECULATE ON A'JA's PERSONALITY, REASON FOR GOING ELSEWHERE, OR SIZE OF HER EGO. (yes, I'm shouting)

What's wrong with you people that need to insult a kid? Grow up.
Thanks Nan!

Reaction Score
An overall shooting percentage of .426 and especially a 3 point percentage of .279 for someone shooting 172 3 pointers is not comparable to any of the 'great' guards at Uconn. She is a freshman and I expect those numbers will improve, but they are not yet at a 'good' level. She is a dynamic player and will likely have a great college career, but shooting percentage is a legitimate limitation in her first year.
Bria - .468/.392
Tiff - .458/.374
Rene - .431/.336
Jen - .403/.373
DT - .444/.386
Moriah - .424/.266 (playing limited minutes and taking 172 total FG attempts - and no one was calling her great, in fact we had debates if she would start this year.)
The only player in that group that was being touted as 'great' as a freshman was DT - and I think that is the 'reservation' that is being expressed by people.
Wow, saved me a lot of time UCMiami! Thanks!

Oh and did I mention A/TO ratio?

Reaction Score
Bria - .468/.392
Tiff - .458/.374
Rene - .431/.336
Jen - .403/.373
DT - .444/.386

You made my point. Plus, shooting 42% as a guard is not a limitation. Very few guards ever shoot over 50%. Now, if the discussion concerns whether Ms DeShields can be anointed as great at this point, then the jury is still out. Fact is, though, North Carolina, became an Elite 8 team, became relevant again, and has become a serious national championship contender with Ms DeShields as its leader. That puts her well on the path.

Reaction Score
Wow, saved me a lot of time UCMiami! Thanks!

Oh and did I mention A/TO ratio?

Granted, Ms DeShields has a negative assist to turnover ratio, but in the context of the way North Carolina plays, it is akin to the wishbone; High risk , high reward. One of the UConn greats on the Wall also posted a similar negative assist to turnover ratio. Three years later she was hoisting the Wade Trophy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bria - .468/.392
Tiff - .458/.374
Rene - .431/.336
Jen - .403/.373
DT - .444/.386

But how many of those players were asked to be "the man" their first year. The team, for better or worse, was put on DD's shoulders. And she was being coached by someone who allowed her to take whatever shots she wanted. I'm not saying the above is comparable mind you, but that there are mitigating factors.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But how many of those players were asked to be "the man" their first year. The team, for better or worse, was put on DD's shoulders. And she was being coached by someone who allowed her to take whatever shots she wanted. I'm not saying the above is comparable mind you, but that there are mitigating factors.
Actually, we don't know at all what the expectations were or were not within the UNC program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom