ACC expansion | Page 16 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
Where has that brand gotten us? Passed over by schools like UCF, Cincy, Houston, and now flipping SMU. Sorry but it's getting harder and harder to stay independent. If the AAC will take us back for FB only, sign me up. I'd never thought I'd say that but it's time to settle in somewhere for now.
Yeah. However, those schools all did a lot more winning than we did on the football field. Frankly, they even did more winning on the basketball court for most of our time in the AAC. Again, our administration created this by not taking football seriously. Timing was awful.

Reaction Score
Yeah. However, those schools all did a lot more winning than we did on the football field. Frankly, they even did more winning on the basketball court for most of our time in the AAC. Again, our administration created this by not taking football seriously. Timing was awful.

You cannot look at the facility that was built when our on field product didn't even remotely deserve a facility that nice and tell me our administration doesn't take football seriously

Reaction Score
NC State voted yes while UNC was a hard no....interesting split...

And this was interesting if it comes to fruition..

(2) In a key component to reduce travel, the 15 original ACC members will only be required to send each one of their sports to the Bay Area once every two years. Under another component, eastern members and the two new western members would meet in Dallas to conduct competition in Olympic sports. SMU’s location provides a sensible central hub. It’s unclear if these components have been formalized.
Because UNC has probably already got a wink and a nod from the BIG. The ACC is going to implode at some point when UNC, FSU , Clemson and perhaps UVA get an invite to one of the P-2 conferences.

Reaction Score
Because UNC has probably already got a wink and a nod from the BIG. The ACC is going to implode at some point when UNC, FSU , Clemson and perhaps UVA get an invite to one of the P-2 conferences.
Better be the SEC or I’ll riot.

But if the competition clause is real, the ACC will be making more money even with 3-4 defections than the Big XII at least until 2036.

Reaction Score
Apparently Olympic sports with be hosted out of SMU as home games for Cal and Stanford to reduce travel expenditures. With east coast teams only having to travel out west once per year. The remaining games all taking place at SMU.

Kind of silly from Cal and Stamford's perspective to host home games in Dallas.

The ACC looks like a bunch of clowns.

Reaction Score
It is often said that
success has a thousand father's and failure is an orphan. Well in this case we have identified at least a thousand fathers of this failure...

Reaction Score
You cannot look at the facility that was built when our on field product didn't even remotely deserve a facility that nice and tell me our administration doesn't take football seriously
Everyone has facilities. This is a weak ass argument. Cincinnati replaced Tubberville with Fickell at the same time we replaced Diaco with Edsall. Tell me again how seriously they took FB when those facilities were built while there was still Big East football.

Reaction Score
So the west coast Olympic sports basically play exclusively road games? Sounds like a sustainable setup.
If I were a west coast kid, I'm playing my Olympic sports at Washington, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Arizona and Arizona St, maybe Colorado too, long long long long before I consider that offer from Cal or Stanford. I know those schools will have academic appeal, but UCLA has almost as much to offer there as well.

Reaction Score
We hired horrible coaches and didn’t rectify the situation until very recently. We did not take football seriously after Edsall 1.0 left. We clown showed with Diaco when we could have hired Leach or someone else with a proven track record. Then we rehired Edsall. The Edsall hire isn’t on Benedict. The board made him do it. He figured it was probably better than keeping Diaco.

Reaction Score
We hired horrible coaches and didn’t rectify the situation until very recently. We did not take football seriously after Edsall 1.0 left. We clown showed with Diaco when we could have hired Leach or someone else with a proven track record. Then we rehired Edsall. The Edsall hire isn’t on Benedict. The board made him do it. He figured it was probably better than keeping Diaco.
If The Board really made him rehire Edsall, they should stay out of all FB decisions going forward. I only blame Benedict for not getting rid of him after year 2. Zero upside to keeping him.

Reaction Score
The ACC seems so desperate.... I wonder if they will will next tear a page out of the Big East playbook and kick BC out of their conference in order to upgrade revenues and further insulate themselves between now and 2036. Humor me - it might be wishful thinking but UConn would certainly be an upgrade and how sweet would that be to elevate while BC gets kicked to the curb. What revenue number would UConn accept, given what CalfordSMU just accepted?? Say, it's ~8m or less, that would generate another net 20m+ to share across the incumbent schools. Perhaps a far fetched scenario but it feels like given what happened this week, it's not totally crazy.

Reaction Score
Everyone has facilities. This is a weak ass argument. Cincinnati replaced Tubberville with Fickell at the same time we replaced Diaco with Edsall. Tell me again how seriously they took FB when those facilities were built while there was still Big East football.

Not the point at all. Saying we don't take football seriously when we made facilities that were way nicer than the product on the field (and way nicer that we deserved tbh) is disingenuous.

Reaction Score
Not the point at all. Saying we don't take football seriously when we made facilities that were way nicer than the product on the field (and way nicer that we deserved tbh) is disingenuous.
That was part of the upgrade. We were the only program to ever upgrade from FCS to into the power structure. This burned a lot of people's asses. Again nice facilities are a baseline expectation. You want to be taken seriously, your coaching hires have a lot to do with that. Houston went like Sumlin, Tom Herman, Holgorsen which they pulled away from a P5. Cincinnati has had a great run of hires and UCF went Oleary to Frost, Heupel, Malzahn.

If you're not hiring coaches people want to hire away you're not doing it right. The idea that facilities alone are sign of taking FB seriously is making no point at all.

Reaction Score
If I were a BC baseball player, I’d be thrilled to play in Berkeley or Palo Alto. Two of the most beautiful campuses in the country, with great facilities, the weather sure beats New England’s in April, and Stanford is consistently one of the country’s top programs.

I think we UConn fans (class of ‘74 here) underestimate the value college presidents of prestigious schools put on academic reputation in conference alignment. The ACC is not the Big 12 and does not want to be. Stanford and Cal add significant academic prestige to Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, Georgia Tech, ND (all but football) and (yes) BC and Syracuse.

SMU is the academic outlier, but as I’ve said in a previous post……they are all about Dallas eyeballs.
BC is just as likely to drop baseball as it is to support it fully given the travel. Their coaching staff just recently scattered to the seven winds.

Reaction Score
If I were a BC baseball player, I’d be thrilled to play in Berkeley or Palo Alto. Two of the most beautiful campuses in the country, with great facilities, the weather sure beats New England’s in April, and Stanford is consistently one of the country’s top programs.

I think we UConn fans (class of ‘74 here) underestimate the value college presidents of prestigious schools put on academic reputation in conference alignment. The ACC is not the Big 12 and does not want to be. Stanford and Cal add significant academic prestige to Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, Georgia Tech, ND (all but football) and (yes) BC and Syracuse.

SMU is the academic outlier, but as I’ve said in a previous post……they are all about Dallas eyeballs.
and Cal’s baseball field is dumpy

Reaction Score
BC is just as likely to drop baseball as it is to support it fully given the travel. Their coaching staff just recently scattered to the seven winds.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpeg
    Image-1.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 70
Reaction Score
Apparently Olympic sports with be hosted out of SMU as home games for Cal and Stanford to reduce travel expenditures. With east coast teams only having to travel out west once per year. The remaining games all taking place at SMU.

The idea that that is an overall reduction in travel seems illogical. It takes two to tango. Going to Cal or Stanford is enticing for any top notch non-revenue athlete, but this change is not a plus in any way but for the school’s bottom line. It reeks for the student-athlete - and they are the majority at these schools.

Reaction Score
He's talking about the hiring and firing decisions, ie. doing things on the cheap.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Did I just read that Bay area weather in April is a selling point?

Holy lolz.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If The Board really made him rehire Edsall, they should stay out of all FB decisions going forward. I only blame Benedict for not getting rid of him after year 2. Zero upside to keeping him.
Meh, I think everyone thought of Randy as an interim hire to get us back to competency. It didn't work out that way, but I think that was the idea.

Reaction Score
Meh, I think everyone thought of Randy as an interim hire to get us back to competency. It didn't work out that way, but I think that was the idea.
Stuck with him way too long. Dude didn't look like he was even trying

Reaction Score

You have two of the finest academic institutions in the world located in one of the best locations in the United States. And now you want to tell your student-athletes they will be playing home games in Dallas. I guess it would help recruit kids from the Dallas area but this is beyond silly.

Reaction Score
You have two of the finest academic institutions in the world located in one of the best locations in the United States. And now you want to tell your student-athletes they will be playing home games in Dallas. I guess it would help recruit kids from the Dallas area but this is beyond silly.
I know - it makes one suspicious that they are making this up as they go along without thought for unintended consequences

Reaction Score
The ACC seems so desperate.... I wonder if they will will next tear a page out of the Big East playbook and kick BC out of their conference in order to upgrade revenues and further insulate themselves between now and 2036. Humor me - it might be wishful thinking but UConn would certainly be an upgrade and how sweet would that be to elevate while BC gets kicked to the curb. What revenue number would UConn accept, given what CalfordSMU just accepted?? Say, it's ~8m or less, that would generate another net 20m+ to share across the incumbent schools. Perhaps a far fetched scenario but it feels like given what happened this week, it's not totally crazy.
It'll never happen

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom