ACC expansion | Page 17 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
The plan I've heard about SMU hosted conferences games would be used so Cal/Stanford don't have to go cross country fives times for say soccer. So you replace a midweek road trip for them & existing members would lose 1 true home match but that would be rotated so it might only happen 1 every 4 years

Reaction Score
The plan I've heard about SMU hosted conferences games would be used so Cal/Stanford don't have to go cross country fives times for say soccer. So you replace a midweek road trip for them & existing members would lose 1 true home match but that would be rotated so it might only happen 1 every 4 years
San Francisco to Dallas is a long trip, and it's their home game. It doesn't help them at all.

Reaction Score
You have two of the finest academic institutions in the world located in one of the best locations in the United States. And now you want to tell your student-athletes they will be playing home games in Dallas. I guess it would help recruit kids from the Dallas area but this is beyond silly.
Just how many people from Dallas or elsewhere in Texas are going to care about the ACC and show up at the games? They would show up in force for the B12 or SEC, especially if there is a home team there. Good luck with that ACC officials!

Reaction Score
San Francisco to Dallas is a long trip, and it's their home game. It doesn't help them at all.
They're not losing a home game, UNC for example would lose 1 soccer match(M&W) against Cal/Stanford & they trade a 5 hr flight for a 3.5 hour one

Reaction Score
Just how many people from Dallas or elsewhere in Texas are going to care about the ACC and show up at the games? They would show up in force for the B12 or SEC, especially if there is a home team there. Good luck with that ACC officials!
People showed up in Connecticut for an NC State ACC game. They aren't some rival or anything that people in Connecticut care about. If we opened with Charlotte, I doubt the place would have been as packed.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The ACC seems so desperate.... I wonder if they will will next tear a page out of the Big East playbook and kick BC out of their conference in order to upgrade revenues and further insulate themselves between now and 2036. Humor me - it might be wishful thinking but UConn would certainly be an upgrade and how sweet would that be to elevate while BC gets kicked to the curb. What revenue number would UConn accept, given what CalfordSMU just accepted?? Say, it's ~8m or less, that would generate another net 20m+ to share across the incumbent schools. Perhaps a far fetched scenario but it feels like given what happened this week, it's not totally crazy.
BC and Rutgers were incredibly lucky. Neither should be where they are.

Reaction Score
If I were a BC baseball player, I’d be thrilled to play in Berkeley or Palo Alto. Two of the most beautiful campuses in the country, with great facilities, the weather sure beats New England’s in April, and Stanford is consistently one of the country’s top programs.

I think we UConn fans (class of ‘74 here) underestimate the value college presidents of prestigious schools put on academic reputation in conference alignment. The ACC is not the Big 12 and does not want to be. Stanford and Cal add significant academic prestige to Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, Georgia Tech, ND (all but football) and (yes) BC and Syracuse.

SMU is the academic outlier, but as I’ve said in a previous post……they are all about Dallas eyeballs.

Not a fan of SMU but it’s academically on par with most of ACC. Certainly not a peer of Stanford or Cal. But is has very deep pockets and wealthy alumni.

Reaction Score
If you aren't busy living, you're dying.

It seems better to draw additional cards than stand pat in this game.

An additional $72 million with much of that going to original members...and that is not counting the additional payouts for ACCN growth in carriage fee funding.

Only the SEC makes sense now...the Big Ten stretching from the Atlantic to the Pacific...the Big 12 from Orlando to Utah..

Reaction Score
There was an "old boys club" that I am sure helped broker thie addition...besides Swarbricke (Stanford law grad)...

The Presidents of VT (Cal grad), Wake Forest (Cal grad), Duke (Stanford grad), and Rev. Leahy of BC (Stanford grad)...were all old boys.

pj

Reaction Score

Instead of a "home and home", one in California and one in North Carolina, you do back-to-back games in Dallas, one is home for the California team and one for the North Carolina team.

It's still one flight and hotel stay for each team each year, but the flight is half-country rather than full-country.

Not sure saving 2-3 hours of flying each way is enough to make that worthwhile.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Anyone have the printer friendly link for this one? My “show reader” get around is not working

Reaction Score

ACC expansion sets the bottom for conference expansion going forward. Going forward, teams will whore themselves to get into specific conferences or groups just to get in. It will get really ugly like corporate M&As etc with deals like the SMU just did. It is a reflection of the overall deteriorating American culture where everything is for profit, and the winner takes all with losers be damned.

I am sick of these conferences and media networks acting like Mafia dons that decide who is in and who is out in the most cutthroat way possible. These conferences have way too much control over college football, and it should not be this way.

I can't wait for the day every school is paid for its worth vs. sponging off the conference with schools like RU and BCU. The ND indy in football with regional sports in a conference is the model for the future. UCONN in some ways is already there with our current model. If ND can get a huge streaming plus linear deal for football, I think it will set the precedent for other big programs that might follow. Once teams like Alabama and Ohio State bail on the conferences, it will be a totally new world where every school will be paid based on their own media deal vs. as a member of the conference.

Reaction Score
ACC expansion sets the bottom for conference expansion going forward. Going forward, teams will whore themselves to get into specific conferences or groups just to get in. It will get really ugly like corporate M&As etc with deals like the SMU just did. It is a reflection of the overall deteriorating American culture where everything is for profit, and the winner takes all with losers be damned.

I am sick of these conferences and media networks acting like Mafia dons that decide who is in and who is out in the most cutthroat way possible. These conferences have way too much control over college football, and it should not be this way.

I can't wait for the day every school is paid for its worth vs. sponging off the conference with schools like RU and BCU. The ND indy in football with regional sports in a conference is the model for the future. UCONN in some ways is already there with our current model. If ND can get a huge streaming plus linear deal for football, I think it will set the precedent for other big programs that might follow. Once teams like Alabama and Ohio State bail on the conferences, it will be a totally new world where every school will be paid based on their own media deal vs. as a member of the conference.

I agree with this.

We have positioned ourselves to sink or swim. We don't have a conference to hide our blemishes. The better football looks, the better it will look.

The problem is that once these other schools get paid what they are worth, they will drop the sport altogether.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

How to be able to afford college football at a high-level without conference affiliation into easy steps:

Step one: get a huge streaming plus linear deal for football like Notre Dame...

Reaction Score
I agree with this.

We have positioned ourselves to sink or swim. We don't have a conference to hide our blemishes. The better football looks, the better it will look.

The problem is that once these other schools get paid what they are worth, they will drop the sport altogether.
I think alums of these schools will demand football be played because that's what they are used to for the last 100 years. They will threaten schools with no donation etc just to force the school to play football. Schools will oblige because big schools will pay for body bag games etc. just to fill the schedule with Ws.

Reaction Score
How to be able to afford college football at a high-level without conference affiliation into easy steps:

Step one: get a huge streaming plus linear deal for football like Notre Dame...
We should pay close attention to the next ND media deal. I really think it is the new frontier if ND can land a deal that will surpass the highest conference payout. Conferences like SEC and B1G will demand media companies to pay each school like the ND deal, and media companies will refuse. All it takes is media and streaming companies make one side deal with FSU or Ohio State to get a similar media deal like ND on the open market to get the floodgate open.

Reaction Score
We should pay close attention to the next ND media deal. I really think it is the new frontier if ND can land a deal that will surpass the highest conference payout. Conferences like SEC and B1G will demand media companies to pay each school like the ND deal, and media companies will refuse. All it takes is media and streaming companies make one side deal with FSU or Ohio State to get a similar media deal like ND on the open market to get the floodgate open.
Notre Dame is supposedly seeking something like $65mil to $75 mil a year, which will be less than the SEC and Big10 payouts in the next few years.

Reaction Score
I think alums of these schools will demand football be played because that's what they are used to for the last 100 years. They will threaten schools with no donation etc just to force the school to play football. Schools will oblige because big schools will pay for body bag games etc. just to fill the schedule with Ws.
Agreed... Football and other athletics to varying degrees at various schools are the best marketing tools a school can use. The biggest/multi million dollar donation days for top flight football schools come on their top football game days.

Reaction Score

Huge difference with UConn vs ND, UConn is Indy in football out of necessity (our primary conference does not sponsor it)... ND is Indy because tradition and holier than thou bullcrap

Reaction Score
Huge difference with UConn vs ND, UConn is Indy in football out of necessity (our primary conference does not sponsor it)... ND is Indy because tradition and holier than thou bullcrap
Regardless the reason, ND's indy media deal with set the basis for other programs that can attract a lot of eyeballs.

I believe it will be a steaming comment like Amazon or Apple that will start the trend to offer individual programs vs. deals with conferences.

Reaction Score
Instead of a "home and home", one in California and one in North Carolina, you do back-to-back games in Dallas, one is home for the California team and one for the North Carolina team.

It's still one flight and hotel stay for each team each year, but the flight is half-country rather than full-country.

Not sure saving 2-3 hours of flying each way is enough to make that worthwhile.
It's a stupid idea because in the end, both teams are actually spending more time traveling. Each travel trip requires traveling to and from the airport, getting through the airport, and actual flying time. Instead of one team making one full trip, you have two teams making a trip half the distance. But two teams wasting all of that extra travel time instead of one. What a waste.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom