ACC expansion | Page 15 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
SMU is the ACC and Uconn is in the Patriot League or w/e conference you guys are in right now.
Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network
At least UConn is getting paid for the TV rights which SMU gave up for 7 years and will receive no money outside of bowl games

Reaction Score
NC State voted yes while UNC was a hard no....interesting split...

And this was interesting if it comes to fruition..

(2) In a key component to reduce travel, the 15 original ACC members will only be required to send each one of their sports to the Bay Area once every two years. Under another component, eastern members and the two new western members would meet in Dallas to conduct competition in Olympic sports. SMU’s location provides a sensible central hub. It’s unclear if these components have been formalized.

Reaction Score
I will say one thing about our current predicament. If I could pick one ally and one enemy out of every company in the entire world right now, I would pick Apple as an ally and ESPN as an enemy. Even Disney thinks ESPN is a zombie business model that needs to be shot. Iger practically throws up in his mouth every time he talks about ESPN in an interview. I would have to think hard about a major company whose business model is more fudged than ESPN's is right now.

So we have ESPN as an enemy. Now the Big East just needs to make Apple our friend. Amazon would do if Apple says no.
Todays news about the battle w charter is just the type of catalyst to weaken espn further and this expansion obsolete in no time.

Reaction Score
From a conference perspective, it brings nothing. Staving off destruction that everyone seems to think will happen regardless, narrowing marginally what is a large $ gap and adding two west coast teams with struggling football and a handicapped school that makes BC and Wake look like titans. It does nothing to keep the big schools from leaving, likely speeding their exit because of unsustainable travel. I’m sure BC will be thrilled to send their baseball team to the Bay Area.
From a conference perspective, it brings nothing. Staving off destruction that everyone seems to think will happen regardless, narrowing marginally what is a large $ gap and adding two west coast teams with struggling football and a handicapped school that makes BC and Wake look like titans. It does nothing to keep the big schools from leaving, likely speeding their exit because of unsustainable travel. I’m sure BC will be thrilled to send their baseball team to the Bay Area.
If I were a BC baseball player, I’d be thrilled to play in Berkeley or Palo Alto. Two of the most beautiful campuses in the country, with great facilities, the weather sure beats New England’s in April, and Stanford is consistently one of the country’s top programs.

I think we UConn fans (class of ‘74 here) underestimate the value college presidents of prestigious schools put on academic reputation in conference alignment. The ACC is not the Big 12 and does not want to be. Stanford and Cal add significant academic prestige to Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, Georgia Tech, ND (all but football) and (yes) BC and Syracuse.

SMU is the academic outlier, but as I’ve said in a previous post……they are all about Dallas eyeballs.

Reaction Score

(2) In a key component to reduce travel, the 15 original ACC members will only be required to send each one of their sports to the Bay Area once every two years. Under another component, eastern members and the two new western members would meet in Dallas to conduct competition in Olympic sports. SMU’s location provides a sensible central hub. It’s unclear if these components have been formalized.
It looks like Kansas & K-State are going to be the next hot ticket adds. The other programs can all meet in centrally located Kansas for games and BBQ. Come to think of it, who needs either Kansas school. Just schedule all long distance games in Kansas. Trees vs Fruit. Ducks vs Ruttie. Play them all in Kansas. Awesome!

Reaction Score
Florida oranges
Texas cactus
We'll play 'em
Just for practice

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If I were a BC baseball player, I’d be thrilled to play in Berkeley or Palo Alto. Two of the most beautiful campuses in the country, with great facilities, the weather sure beats New England’s in April, and Stanford is consistently one of the country’s top programs.

I think we UConn fans (class of ‘74 here) underestimate the value college presidents of prestigious schools put on academic reputation in conference alignment. The ACC is not the Big 12 and does not want to be. Stanford and Cal add significant academic prestige to Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, Georgia Tech, ND (all but football) and (yes) BC and Syracuse.

SMU is the academic outlier, but as I’ve said in a previous post……they are all about Dallas eyeballs.
SMU has been ranked in the 60’s often by U.S. News. Right now it’s 72. Not exactly dog meat.

Reaction Score
2032 is a long way away. We'll see.
FSU, Clemson, etc are gone at that time and the ACC will be looking for new members for their non P5 conference. SMU’s move was a deal between two desperate organizations.

Reaction Score
I’m really not sure a return to the AAC for football makes sense. We immediately started recruiting better as an independent and the AAC was much better then.

Despite the lies and misrepresentations out there, UConn has a brand. As an independent we aren’t classified as a football team in a crap conference. We are simply UConn. Once we are winning regularly, being Indy UConn may be better than being AAC UConn.

Reaction Score

Academics went out the window when they took Louisville. Sorry.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I’m really not sure a return to the AAC for football makes sense. We immediately started recruiting better as an independent and the AAC was much better then.

Despite the lies and misrepresentations out there, UConn has a brand. As an independent we aren’t classified as a football team in a crap conference. We are simply UConn. Once we are winning regularly, being Indy UConn may be better than being AAC UConn.
Where has that brand gotten us? Passed over by schools like UCF, Cincy, Houston, and now flipping SMU. Sorry but it's getting harder and harder to stay independent. If the AAC will take us back for FB only, sign me up. I'd never thought I'd say that but it's time to settle in somewhere for now.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

So the west coast Olympic sports basically play exclusively road games? Sounds like a sustainable setup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom