ACC expansion | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
I know alot of people in my life are down on the most recent expansion. I have spoken to many that wanted to go to the Big 12, I was never a fan of that move if it came up. However the dissolution of the PAC-12 to me feels like a good move for our future, especially if Stanford and Cal make it to the ACC. I personally think that it is inevitable that Clemson, Miami and FSU along with probably UNC and UVA make it to the big 12 and/or SEC to round those conferences up to 18 or 20 or whatever nonsense number it ends up being.

When that inevitably happens you will basically be left with the perfect conference for us and I happen to think that we would be at the top of their list of invites. At this point the conference could potentially be the following
BC, Duke, Georgia tech, Louisville, NC state, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, wake, Stanford, Cal, and then maybe they add us, usf and memphis to get to 14. Who knows how this plays out but I would think that conference is a great balance of good basketball, teams I care about and enough football to keep the team from losing too much money and being on television. I am wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on the latest round though as well as our potential best long term landing spot.

Reaction Score
I think you’re right. Although NC might stay. There are no top football schools that available for the ACC. They have to accept that. Can you imagine if ACC looked to add UConn right now. FSU would go bonkers.

In my opinion they should take UConn and go after Kansas so they can claim that they are the top basketball conference. They’re football can still get close to Big 10 level. SEC will always be 1. Also ACC needs to keep B 12 from getting UConn.

MJ1

Reaction Score
You would need a powerhouse football team to get a good payday. The networks are not paying big dollars for the group listed there.They would not be considered a power conference compared to the Big 10 and SEC. They would be a distance 4th behind Big 12. Although good Basketball conference and better money than the current dollars.

Reaction Score
You would need a powerhouse football team to get a good payday. The networks are not paying big dollars for the group listed there.They would not be considered a power conference compared to the Big 10 and SEC. They would be a distance 4th behind Big 12. Although good Basketball conference and better money than the current dollars.

In the strictest form of the definition, the ACC would still be considered a "power conference" so long as they have an automatic invite to the football playoff system.

Reaction Score
In the strictest form of the definition, the ACC would still be considered a "power conference" so long as they have an automatic invite to the football playoff system.
Clemson is top 5 program last 10 years. FSU looking good for next year with returnees from 10 win season and top recruiting class.

Reaction Score
That all looks good until the B-12 comes in and wants to go to 20+ teams and have 10 or 11 team East and West divisions. They will have their pick of ACC teams to fill out the conference. Pitt and WVU renew rivalry, Louisville goes to where they belong. UConn would again be waiting to see if they are the last team chosen. This scenario would be fully dependent on whether the B-12 wants a basketball presence with Duke and UConn or go all football

Reaction Score
That all looks good until the B-12 comes in and wants to go to 20+ teams and have 10 or 11 team East and West divisions. They will have their pick of ACC teams to fill out the conference. Pitt and WVU renew rivalry, Louisville goes to where they belong. UConn would again be waiting to see if they are the last team chosen. This scenario would be fully dependent on whether the B-12 wants a basketball presence with Duke and UConn or go all football
Need the ACC GOR to hold so B 12 doesn’t go after ACC second tier schools. Ok if FSU leaves and tries to litigate. Will know by 08-15

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Need the ACC GOR to hold so B 12 doesn’t go after ACC second tier schools. Ok if FSU leaves and tries to litigate. Will know by 08-15
It's going to hold. ACC passes the Big 12 in payout in 2026. Nobody is going to jump from the ACC to the Big 12. That would be insane.

Reaction Score
It's going to hold. ACC passes the Big 12 in payout in 2026. Nobody is going to jump from the ACC to the Big 12. That would be insane.
If the GORs is somehow broken, I would think Louisville and Pitt would go to the Big 12 as the ACC could be hit with key defections. Better to be first off of a sinking boat than finding out there are no more lifeboats.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The GOR will hold.

And if it doesn’t, in the mad scramble that follows, Wake Forest has a better chance of ending up in the Big East than we do ending up somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Honestly, it would make more sense for Stanford/Cal to go independent in Football and join the big East with the zags then join the acc. 5 schools west of Ville / ND, I bet Stanford/Cal have a good alumni based in the Northeast and Uconn would have two more Indy partners

Reaction Score

If FSU finds a way out, Clemson, Miami, etc. are not far behind.

I think FSU is just going to do it. Consequences be damned.

Reactions: MJ1

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the GORs is somehow broken, I would think Louisville and Pitt would go to the Big 12 as the ACC could be hit with key defections. Better to be first off of a sinking boat than finding out there are no more lifeboats.
Maybe, but if the GOR is broken (and by that I mean FSU doesn't have JP Morgan pay $400M to get out of it) then it's chaos. Right now, real time chaos. Without those GORs, the media companies are not paying what they are paying. Big XII wouldn't get the deal they did. SEC doesn't have one, because nobody wants to leave.

Much more likely it holds, nobody leaves and by the time it is coming up, things have changed a lot.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The GOR will hold. ACC can sit tight for the time being. This is good for us. It give us time to improve football before the GOR ends and the vultures pick the ACC carcass.

Reaction Score
If the ACC adds Stanford and Cal, and now there’s talk SMU would join and forego any conference payout for several years, there’s a reasonable chance the ACC would add another school to get to 18 for scheduling purposes.

Reaction Score
I think the reason the ACC would add Stanford/Cal/SMU is the ACC Network. Although we all think streaming is where sports are going, that is not happening overnight. Thus, adding a school in Texas and 2 in California could pay for themselves just by increasing the carriage rate for the ACCN in the cable bundle. And, if a school like SMU will take a low payout, that's more money for the restless football schools. LT, this will prove to be a very bad decision.

Reaction Score
UMass has been rumored to be the 4th team for ACC expansion with Cal, Stanford, and SMU. UMass is seen as a good fit for the ACC because they with help lock down the Massachusetts and New England market while at the same time they won’t be a threat to BC’s Chestnut Hill market. BC’s AD allegedly stated that they(BC) own Chestnut Hill, and no one was going to infringe on their turf.

Reaction Score
So now smu is better then uconn.
The damage they did by bringing back Edsall on the cheap and letting him stay as long as he did apparently caused irreparable damage. For all the flowers we throw at Benedict, he can't distance himself from that one. And the romantic dalliance with Mora at his home, doesn't really make things look better. We look like a program always trying to mend football on the cheap vs programs we are trying to compete against to get into a P5.

Reaction Score
The GOR will hold. ACC can sit tight for the time being. This is good for us. It give us time to improve football before the GOR ends and the vultures pick the ACC carcass.
I think the opposite - if FSU and Clemson vote to add SMU, they're likely doing so as a trojan horse to get out of the GOR now. They know SMU is a total embarrassment to the conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom