2015 Commit/Recruit Stat Tracker (Summer Version) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2015 Commit/Recruit Stat Tracker (Summer Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
at this point I don't see how anybody who is not Stone himself would know where he's going at this point, crystal ball picks for him and Newman are basically meaningless.

I don't think most of the players themselves even really know yet. It's part of the fun of watching this all unfold and watching them play right now. You can root for so many players based just on the possibility.

Reaction Score
Jerry Meyer just flipped his crystal ball pick for Stone from Kentucky to Wisconsin.

I want to land the kid, but would not be upset - AT ALL - if he went to his home state school.

I would. Guys like Zionn and 3uconn seem to think that we might be the favorite. I think we have a real shot to land him.

Reaction Score
I would. Guys like Zionn and 3uconn seem to think that we might be the favorite. I think we have a real shot to land him.
One thing we have to keep in mind is who does KO want. Say Stone, Enoch and Koumadje all want UConn. If KO decides he'll only take one big...just an example and not implying that will be the case...he might prefer one of the lesser ranked bigs over Stone. Maybe he would prefer players who are more likely to stick around longer if he thinks the lesser ranked recruit will be ready to play even though might not be quite as mature early on hoping he'll be a long longer. Also it wouldn't be the first time that some late-bloomers end up developing into better players than high ranked kids. These rankings are far from an exact science, though they often come close with the very top ranked ones.

I've said this before, you can often take a band of 15 to 20 recruits in any section of a top 100 to 150 list, shuffle the deck and get it just as right as the so called experts. And of course there are always some that fall and rise dramatically in each class. I'd love to see someone take a stab at re-ordering a class 4 years later based on how they've developed in college and/or in the NBA as well and compare that to how they were ranked in these top 100 to 150 lists that we keep hanging our hats on.

So far based only on what I've read and a handful of video clips, I'd love to see KO take some combination of 5 recruits (1 over since at least one additional ship opens up each year):

Stone (5) or Koumadje (5) - Stone is likely a 1 to 2 year player unless he's not as good as most believe while Koumadje will take time to develop ala Thabeet & Brimah, but should be very good during some point of his sophomore season. Like most 7 foot plus bigs, staying out of foul trouble and on the floor will be an early challenge for him. Has to learn to move those puppies and not pick up silly contact fouls.
Enoch (4/5) - this kid will be firing up the rankings. Seeing he's a local kid, we must protect our turf and make sure he doesn't leave the state.
Jones (3) or Smith (3) even though he just blew out his ACL - Jones sounds like a perfect fit for UConn and KO. I great athlete who simply needs someone to teach him the game so that he'll both produce at the college level and be prepared for a long and successful NBA career.
Malik Newman (2) or Isiah Briscoe (1) - Newman sounds like a beast of a 2G and would be a nice compliment to Adams. If not him, having a second PG-Combo on the floor has been a staple at UConn for years.
Adams (1/2 Combo) - Already locked him up and seems cut from the same mold as Bazz who can play on or off the ball

There's a whole slew of other potential recruits that could jump in the above. Some that might be more talented but longer-shots while some might be not quite as talented or as ready, but would be just fine for keeping the winning tradition going and going for years to come.

As mentioned a number of times, I've never seen so many really good irons in the fire at this point in the summer and the list only seems to be growing, not shrinking, which is often what we've seen as recruits further begin to cut their lists to 5 or less.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Wouldnt make anything of it but adams has really struggled this weekend at adidas unrivaled...

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I really hope we sign more shooters. Remember how frustrating it was watching all those talented uconn teams who couldnt hit shots consistently...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I really hope we sign more shooters. Remember how frustrating it was watching all those talented uconn teams who couldnt hit shots consistently...
Exactly how long ago was that? Most of our teams the past 15 years have had shooters (Rip, Kalid, Caron, Gordon, Shad, Denham, Kemba, and most recently, Bazz, Giffey, Daniels, Boatright, and I'm sure I missed a number of others). One thing we've lacked at times is having enough strength and quickness to defend at certain positions. Considering the list of players KO is recruiting, I'm not worried about any of these things. He's going to get the right mix of talent and skills to field an NC caliber team for years to come.

Reaction Score
@JeffRabjohns: Guards who really passed it well today: Jalen Adams 8 assists, Riley Welch 7, Rashard Odomes 7, Rawle Alkins 6. #adidasunrivaled

Reaction Score
Adams Tweets from Unrivaled:

Rivals Nation ‏@RivalsNation Jul 11
Jalen Adams left feet in lane to dunk over 6'10" center, met above rim, brought ball to belly button, contorted body, finished scoop.#MJLike

Jeff Rabjohns ‏@JeffRabjohns 1h
Guards who really passed it well today: Jalen Adams 8 assists, Riley Welch 7, Rashard Odomes 7, Rawle Alkins 6. #adidasunrivaled
Sounds like Adams is doing fine. Does anyone know what players are on his team? Since he's already committed to UConn, he might be working on certain aspects of his game, such as his lead-guard skills. It wouldn't shock me if KO has suggested he focus on that part of his game moving forward, since he was recruited as the future lead guard.

Reaction Score
One thing we have to keep in mind is who does KO want. Say Stone, Enoch and Koumadje all want UConn. If KO decides he'll only take one big...just an example and not implying that will be the case...he might prefer one of the lesser ranked bigs over Stone. Maybe he would prefer players who are more likely to stick around longer if he thinks the lesser ranked recruit will be ready to play even though might not be quite as mature early on hoping he'll be a long longer. Also it wouldn't be the first time that some late-bloomers end up developing into better players than high ranked kids. These rankings are far from an exact science, though they often come close with the very top ranked ones.

I've said this before, you can often take a band of 15 to 20 recruits in any section of a top 100 to 150 list, shuffle the deck and get it just as right as the so called experts. And of course there are always some that fall and rise dramatically in each class. I'd love to see someone take a stab at re-ordering a class 4 years later based on how they've developed in college and/or in the NBA as well and compare that to how they were ranked in these top 100 to 150 lists that we keep hanging our hats on.

So far based only on what I've read and a handful of video clips, I'd love to see KO take some combination of 5 recruits (1 over since at least one additional ship opens up each year):

Stone (5) or Koumadje (5) - Stone is likely a 1 to 2 year player unless he's not as good as most believe while Koumadje will take time to develop ala Thabeet & Brimah, but should be very good during some point of his sophomore season. Like most 7 foot plus bigs, staying out of foul trouble and on the floor will be an early challenge for him. Has to learn to move those puppies and not pick up silly contact fouls.
Enoch (4/5) - this kid will be firing up the rankings. Seeing he's a local kid, we must protect our turf and make sure he doesn't leave the state.
Jones (3) or Smith (3) even though he just blew out his ACL - Jones sounds like a perfect fit for UConn and KO. I great athlete who simply needs someone to teach him the game so that he'll both produce at the college level and be prepared for a long and successful NBA career.
Malik Newman (2) or Isiah Briscoe (1) - Newman sounds like a beast of a 2G and would be a nice compliment to Adams. If not him, having a second PG-Combo on the floor has been a staple at UConn for years.
Adams (1/2 Combo) - Already locked him up and seems cut from the same mold as Bazz who can play on or off the ball

There's a whole slew of other potential recruits that could jump in the above. Some that might be more talented but longer-shots while some might be not quite as talented or as ready, but would be just fine for keeping the winning tradition going and going for years to come.

As mentioned a number of times, I've never seen so many really good irons in the fire at this point in the summer and the list only seems to be growing, not shrinking, which is often what we've seen as recruits further begin to cut their lists to 5 or less.

You're right, recruiting rankings are an inexact science, but guys in the top 10 almost without fail end up in the NBA. And Stone is a consensus top 10 player in his class.

Reaction Score
Wouldnt make anything of it but adams has really struggled this weekend at adidas unrivaled...

I'm not being sarcastic, honestly curious, can you show me a single comment stating he struggled?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Dude, always appreciate the effort you invest in your thoughtful posts, but if there's any way you could adopt a more concise approach (perhaps divide em up), I'm pretty certain you'd attract more readers...

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

When you say "struggled", was he rushing his shot, pressing or just off? Who defended him? Who was playing with him? Would love to hear the details of what you saw...Please share...

Reaction Score
Dude, always appreciate the effort you invest in your thoughtful posts, but if there's any way you could adopt a more concise approach (perhaps divide em up), I'm pretty certain you'd attract more readers...
You have a good point, RM. In the future, I'll try to break them up as you suggest.

Reaction Score
Don't really want to call you out but I feel I have to. Your Donald Sterling posts raised my ire and now I'm noticing you are over critical about recruiting and most everything. We need to calm down about Steve Enoch, is he really that good? Jalen Adams committed to us but he has been subpar since then?!??

Reaction Score
I have heard nothing but good things coming out of Adidas about Adams. He doesn't seem to be scoring at his normal rate but that's not a problem really, we know he can score. The question has been, admittedly from me alot, can he play point? The dip in scoring is fine if he is passing the ball and running the offense effectively. I'm not worried about JA at all.

Reaction Score
@SteveJones_CJ: UConn and UNC also watching the Hoop Dreams game that features Eli Wright that Pitino is attending

Reaction Score
Regarding Adams performance, last week, just look at the blogs, earlier in this thread. These blogs were from people that were actually there.
All said he did very well against very good competition. Led some excellent guards in assists. Dunked over a 7'er. Not bad.
Show us some negativity from someone who was actually there.

Reaction Score
http://hoopniks.com/2014-adidas-unrivaled-saturday-recap/

Players of Note
Jalen Adams, 6’2”, G, 2015

The future UConn Husky guard is easily one of the more entertaining players in transition. The explosive player only scored six points, but he also dropped nine assists to only two turnovers. Time and time again, Adams put the ball on the mark to open teammates and could have ended up with at least 12 assists, if his teammates had been able to convert their open shots. Adams is extremely tough to cover in one on one situations and when he gets a full head of steam towards the basket you can pretty much mark him down for a basket. On the defensive side, Adams was a force preventing fast break baskets. Two possessions in a row, Adams sprinted down the court to emphatically block the shot of 6’7” Blake Reynolds.

Makai Ashton-Langford, 6’1”, PG, 2016

The junior point guard is tough to contain off the dribble. He finished with eight points on 4-7 shooting, but it was his play in the paint that was impressive for a player his size. Ashton-Langford seemed to always get a step on his defender and when faced with a taller opponent coming to meet him in the lane he was able to unleash a soft floater or finish with either hand. Not as heralded as some of his teammates, Ashton-Langford has put together a solid overall Unrivaled camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom