Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Maybe get 20 reg season wins...overrated and rightfully so bc early wins vs early ranked teams, from fanbase that has been hoping to get back to the land, Reality not great former teams that these guys are compared to would beat by whatever they want. Right path I hope but get to tourney not going anymore than 2nd round. No one on this team is going to NBA , I mean maybe Hawkins but softest team Ive seen in a long time.
Jackson and Sanogo need one more year, the both of them. Even Hawkins isn't quite ready yet either.

Reaction Score
LOL - This Team...
Losing all game and lost.
Two games ago lead for 39:57 and still lost.
K. Ollie Offense the past month....
At this point, I expect another 1st round loss.
Woot, we have one player show up each game.
Guards ignore our inside guys for low percentage shots.
Newton played well.
Hawkins decided to play 2nd half
I'm calling him Half Game Hawkins at this point. HGH.
Sigh, there's always 2796....

Reaction Score
That didn't matter at the end. Our inability to play well when the game is one the line mattered.

How many times do we have to cut the lead to one only to freeze up?
I think that terrible start did matter as it gave Xavier a big boost of confidence that they played with the whole game.

Reaction Score
That didn't matter at the end. Our inability to play well when the game is one the line mattered.

What are you talking about? If he had been 2 for 7, UConn woulda won!

Reaction Score
He buries us ever game and we have to fight our way back, and then people like you are content with it. It’s why UCONN hasn’t won any big games in over 5 years. The losing is exciting
No one said content.

I see progress. Especially with Hurleys coaching adjustments.

But I understand how people feel it’s either jubilee or exorcism.

Reaction Score
Hawk brought us back. He's a special, special shooter.

Jackson is the opposite of that. His inability to make a completely wide open 3 (on multiple attempts)... or a floater with a cushion... or a post up over a 6'4" unathletic guard. It puts us in such a bind on offense. It was paralyzing to the team. A completely wide open 3 by a wing/guard is a 1.3-1.5 expected value shot. That's a legendary offense shot. You have to make at least 1 of 3. It's a practice gym shot.

Hurley's pre-adjustment was Jackson posting up Kunkel. He expected the sag, we had a counter, we've been working on it (it was the first play of the game vs. Butler, too). It's a very good matchup on paper. Jackson just doesn't have the skill to make it happen.

Eventually we just resorted to making Jackson a screener and letting Hawkins shoot off the screen or attack off the curl with no threat of a hedge or switch. That worked. We went at it like the Remember the Titans playbook, only 6 plays, keep running the same ones.

To Jackson's credit, he played well at the top of the zone in the 2nd half.

But everytime we got back into the game, we made a completely boneheaded play. The Jackson goaltend. The Hawkins shooting foul on a baseline midrange 2pt jumper. Newton travel. Hawkins charge. That's not coaching (unless you consider overactive defense/shot challenging mentality). If we make a few more plays, we win, despite them shooting 50% from 3 and Jackson
There’s a crowd here that attributes everything that happens in the game to “coaching”. They aren’t right or wrong I just don’t think others like myself see the game the same way. I’ve come to the conclusion that we’ll never agree. We do this same “coaching” dance after every loss.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No one said content.

I see progress. Especially with Hurleys coaching adjustments.

But I understand how people feel it’s either jubilee or exorcism.
At what point, does Hurley start getting blame? He’s been here for 5 years and coaching much longer than that

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Hurley ran a perfect play against Seton Hall and Karaban got a wide open three. Nobody near him. He misses.

We cut it to one and then have two successive TOs. The moment has been too big for them.
This is spot on. They never seem to be able to take advantage of the moments in the game when making the play, the shot and scoring changes the momentum. The game changing moments have been to big for them. Although had they had a chance to get Hawkins a look at a three he may have made it tonight. But in general you make the relevant point the moment us too big for them.

Reaction Score
Positives:
Hawk continues to soar
Newton came alive and hope he stays that way.

Negatives:

Ajax shot so damn much, when someone can tell him to do anything but shooting.

Our bench did not show up other than Alleyne.

Coaching is subpar… I want some adjustments in first half. We buried ourselves too big a hole to dig out.

Reaction Score
First game in a while. Gample was LOUD! Those 4 consecutive missed FT hurt, one was front end of 1x1. Hawkins was awesome in 2nd half but turned down the most open 3 late then Kunckle drew the charge.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What good habits? They don’t put any effort on defense.

Have you seen anything that makes you believe we will? What in game coaching has improved?
Heads up, I didn’t see the first half. Lol. Should’ve said that in the original post.

In the 2nd half Hurley seemed to make some great adjustments with the press and the zone.

We aren’t running Sanogo offense anymore at all and we attack the rim so much better currently.

Newton is coming on and we’re going to need him if we want to make any noise in March.

Hawkins continues to get better and better.

Sanogo is moving the ball so much better than he did previously.

Those are good habits we weren’t doing in our slump. I’m not sure what we did in the first half.

Reaction Score
I'm saying this before the game even ends: Credit where it's due. That was a very well-coached second half of basketball by Hurley.
I don't understand how this can be the take away. What adjustment was made? We pressed them? Cool we should be doing that every game. We need to speed teams up. We played a 1-3-1 half court? Xavier shot the ball better in the 2nd half. Does he get credit for all of Hawkins and Newtons points? What about when we cut it to 1 and he subbed 3 guys out only to watch Xavier go up 11 almost instantly.

It's a hard sell also when in the waning moments of the game you ice your best player coming off a screen wide open by calling a time out with 20 seconds left and you don't get a quality look up after that.

Give the credit to the players. They made shots and played well in the 2nd half. We cannot act like playing a 1-3-1 is a good defense for this team or we somehow should let the coaching off the hook for the players efforts in the 2nd half. It's not good enough if uconn is a blue blood college basketball program.

Reaction Score
Could a 3 / 2 zone with both bigs in the game prevented Nune from his easy scores?
I think the way the X offense is based on cutting and being in position it still would still have left open players. We had a lot of trouble contesting shots.

I guess we can say Hurley finally played both bigs…albeit on Newtons last foul shot.

Reaction Score

The start was ABSOLUTELY what killed us. You cant spot a team like X (or any decent team for that matter) 17 points and expect to come back. The fact that they got it to one 5x was amazing. No, Im not happy with the result, but it came from the slow start, not the effort at the end.

Reaction Score
He buries us ever game and we have to fight our way back, and then people like you are content with it. It’s why UCONN hasn’t won any big games in over 5 years. The losing is exciting
All the time, the second you think we turn a corner is the second we fall down the staircase. It happens every year. I give no credit for winning a participation trophy.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how this can be the take away. What adjustment was made?

Press
1-3-1
2-3
1-2-2

Much better job defending the rim i nthe second half.

We didn't use a slow post-up.

Initiated more through Newton and the guards.

Did you even watch the game? Hurley made multiple adjustments in the second half to good effect. Overcame a 17 point deficit.

You don't know basketball if you didn't see adjustments.

Reaction Score
Hurley ran a perfect play against Seton Hall and Karaban got a wide open three. Nobody near him. He misses.

We cut it to one and then have two successive TOs. The moment has been too big for them.
Hurley didn’t coach the Seton Hall game…that was Murray/Moore. that said, if karaban had hit the 3, I think we would’ve won

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom