Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Good tweet. Basically the defense “can’t stop a nosebleed.” Fox showed a statistic a few games ago that since conference play teams are scoring almost 20 more points than OOC. We need to make changes. And we either got with two bigs or starting someone else at the four and move Karaban to the 3.

We scored more in the second, But so did Xavier.

I thought that before the season started, based on last year, if we can score over 68 points then we’re golden. Defense must get better

Reaction Score
The first half made us look like an undisciplined poorly coached playground team. In order to conserve a little self-respect I turned it off after that assuming we might make a run at home but really the outcome wouldn't wash the bad taste from my mouth either way. We have a fatal flaw where a combination of coaching and personnel results in an offensive dumpster fire. With no settled plan guys are pressing, making poor decisions, taking bad shots and turning the ball over. Hurley likes to bang his head against the wall when certain guys are playing terribly, but because he has a trigger finger for other guys, they get a shot or two, a minute or two and they're back on the bench. There are some selfish guys on this team as well and that's Coach's fault because it isn't being corrected. An awful half followed by a less awful half isn't acceptable given the talent we have at most positions. And while every player has flaws, looking that lost isn't just on them. A leader at PG would would solve a lot of those problems but the reality is we don't have one and the job of the Coach is to make it work. Our passing and the timing of those passes is my biggest complaint. Certain guys ignore other guys and just in general we're too slow getting rid of the ball and missing open players. But he has his ideas and his favorites and because he's stuck on that we're going to live or die by it apparently. Other Coaches aren't dumb in this league and it's obvious we haven't sorted things out yet so we are easy to defend.

You didn’t have to tell us. You obviously didn’t see the second half.

Reaction Score
These all sound things that should’ve been coached into him by year 3.
Yeah he seems to be regressing now. I was hoping they would try to post him up more as he had a few nice moves last year when doing that. They tried in the Butler game and I think it was the first set they were trying to post him up in Xavier but they never went back to it. I think it might be easier for him to score on moves close to the basket for where his game is and maybe give him some confidence to build upon. I believe like he has lost all confidence in his offensive game and we really need him to be at least adequate in this department.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah he seems to be regressing now. I was hoping they would try to post him up more as he had a few nice moves last year when doing that. They tried in the Butler game and I think it was the first set they were trying to post him up in Xavier but they never went back to it. I think it might be easier for him to score on moves close to the basket for where his game is and maybe give him some confidence to build upon. I believe like he has lost all confidence in his offensive game and we really need him to be at least adequate in this department.
I’ll keep saying this too until I’m blue in the face. He just needs to find opportunities to cut to the rim.

His defender doesn’t respect him off ball. Whenever they look away cut to the rim for an easy dunk. He did it once when they doubled Sanogo and he found him for an easy one. He needs to do that consistently whenever his defender cheats off of him to help.

Reaction Score
I’ll keep saying this too until I’m blue in the face. He just needs to find opportunities to cut to the rim.

His defender doesn’t respect him off ball. Whenever they look away cut to the rim for an easy dunk. He did it once when they doubled Sanogo and he found him for an easy one. He needs to do that consistently whenever his defender cheats off of him to help.
Yeah, but that isn't as easy to do and normally a big is helping out. I just think running some more post plays near the basket will help. Clear out Sanogo when doing that.

Reaction Score
yeesh. I'm glad I stopped watching the games honestly. I was hoping it would lead to some mojo but I guess not. I was blissfully unaware this latest embrassment was even taking place until my dad texted me about it yesterday. I admire people looking for silver linings here and it is great to hear Hawkins asserted himself but I'm having trouble getting excited about losing a game at home that we never led in light of the performance the last 7 games or so.

Reaction Score
yeesh. I'm glad I stopped watching the games honestly. I was hoping it would lead to some mojo but I guess not. I was blissfully unaware this latest embrassment was even taking place until my dad texted me about it yesterday. I admire people looking for silver linings here and it is great to hear Hawkins asserted himself but I'm having trouble getting excited about losing a game at home that we never led in light of the performance the last 7 games or so.
Lol why even comment if you're not watching the games? The way they fought back is definitely a positive we can take into the rest of conference play. Maybe show some support. Remember they are college kids, they want/need all the support they can get from our fanbase.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I'd like to know how they determine the shot quality score. Considering the bunnies and fully open threes we missed in the first half (and a couple in the second) I would have expected our projected final score to be more than four points higher than our actual final score. My only guess (aside for the brief stretch where we scored one of six potential points on free throws which it appears aren't factored in) is that a number of threes that we hit weren't expected to fall from their methodology.

Reaction Score

Meh. Stayed with his man through the handoff, was in position to make Jones hesitate at the top of the key, got back to his man when Hawkins recovered to contest the shot, found his man, got position, jumped for the rebound. That was good play by Sanogo

Nunge has 3 inches on him and had to reach across his body with his right hand to the left side of the hoop, and flicked it up over Sanogo's head. Look at the bench reaction, that was a tough shot. If Nunge goes for the rebound it's an over the back loose ball foul, so he just had to knock the ball up. Just happened to go in

Lots to talk about regarding Sanogo's defense (actually didn't seem as bad vs. Xavier as it has been), but that is a solid play imo

Reaction Score
I'd like to know how they determine the shot quality score. Considering the bunnies and fully open threes we missed in the first half (and a couple in the second) I would have expected our projected final score to be more than four points higher than our actual final score. My only guess (aside for the brief stretch where we scored one of six potential points on free throws which it appears aren't factored in) is that a number of threes that we hit weren't expected to fall from their methodology.
From the second tweet in the thread I think it's mostly that while we underperformed relative to our shot quality in the 1st half, we slightly overperformed in the 2nd half. My guess is Hawkins getting so hot made up for the big gap in open misses from the first half.

429ADE07-A5D7-4D2D-A0EC-C8B3520531E2.jpeg

I think you can see more specifics with a subscription but they did post a summary in one of the tabs that gives a glimpse

2955E997-3DD7-44E1-BC37-498F912663CD.png

Reaction Score
where the duck did the 12-0 team that beat bama, oregon, florida away and more go? mostly blowouts, too. I'm letting any coach talk slide for now,

All things considered, from Corney to now, I really don't think I have ever been as disappointed at this point in a season. I feel set up like a bowling pin. Knocked down. It's wearing thin.

Ya know?

Reaction Score
where the duck did the 12-0 team that beat bama, oregon, florida away and more go? mostly blowouts, too. I'm letting any coach talk slide for now,

All things considered, from Corney to now, I really don't think I have ever been as disappointed at this point in a season. I feel set up like a bowling pin. Knocked down. It's wearing thin.

Ya know?

You do realize that these are not professional athletes, right? And that they’re not out there for our entertainment? And they don’t get paid? And that they’re college students?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom