WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LA seemed to have a productive first game for the Atlanta Dream. I didn't watch the game but she has some of the better stats on the team. 3 offensive boards, 8 points, 1 block and 4 free throw attempts in 15 min. She also had 4 fouls...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I believe the WNBA should move to the winter and play double headers with the NBA. That’ll get people in the seats
I dunno. I think it be more like those Big East semi-final games that UConn isn't a part of.

Reaction Score

Wish I was able to take today off to enjoy the events they've had lined up for tomorrow's game. I've been impressed with what has been lined up for people to experience.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
May 12 Transaction Listed on WNBA Website

Seattle: Williams, Madi – Waived

Reaction Score
Views from the game. This is awesome :)

Attachments

• 20230513_164213.jpg
    20230513_164213.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 81

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thank you! I thought Boston got away with SO MUCH during her entire college career, refs turned a blind eye while she was free to do whatever she wanted. Rude awakening being in the W and not being able to get away with all that stuff now.

Reaction Score
I just noted the NWSL is going to expand to 16 teams by 2026. Now, I've seen some of the fees being asked for (and paid for) a franchise and this is the NWSL (and I coached soccer for years). I'd have to think that with the surge in WBB that the WNBA has to be taking advantage of this interest at some point. Yes, they've got to keep the 144 in good shape (salaries, travel, etc.), but I think this league is only going to grow if the league puts money into it.

And expansion would give more opportunities for rookies who were good enough to get drafted. Imagine if baseball just kept cutting their best Triple AAA prospects? The WNBA is virtually throwing it's young off a cliff. Got to change that.
Where does this money come from? The league is a hole loses money, franchises do not appreciate in value, media rights are tiny in comparison to even soccer.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thank you! I thought Boston got away with SO MUCH during her entire college career, refs turned a blind eye while she was free to do whatever she wanted. Rude awakening being in the W and not being able to get away with all that stuff now.
IIRC, she went over 100 consecutive minutes at one point this past season without having a foul called on her. Now 9 in 34 minutes in the W, which tends to be much more physical than the NCAA.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think Toronto could support a WNBA team. Especially if they had a few Canadians on the team. Carleton was the only Canadian playing in this game.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think Toronto could support a WNBA team. Especially if they had a few Canadians on the team. Carleton was the only Canadian playing in this game.

It would help, but there were a lot of straight up WNBA fans. You could hear fans yelling for Copper, Williams, Jhuasz, throughout the game.

Achonwa was on hand and part of various events leading up to the game since she's currently on maternity leave.

Reaction Score

For those who don't think the WNBA gets support. This video is a good example of the demographic who are interested in the game nowadays. A lot of youth in the crowd yesterday in addition to long time fans. I'm so proud of how Torontonians and Canadians responded to this event.

Hopefully the WNBA builds on it. Even if an expansion team isn't on the immediate horizon, hosting exhibition games on an annual basis would be awesome.

Reaction Score

Why no expansion-

"It's both simple and complex. The simple answer is money. The biggest issue isn't just whether franchises consistently make money, or at least don't lose a lot. It's whether they accrue in value. The answer for years was no,"

Reaction Score
More pickleball fans than women's basketball fans.

Big changes are coming to Major League Pickleball, as the league expanded from 12 to 24 teams and increased prize money to $5 million for the 2023 season.

And

"The celebrity investors are clearly “hot” on pickleball, as team ownership reportedly cost in the low 7-figures"

Like the rest of you on the BY I enjoy and admire women's basketball at all levels. I particularly enjoy the WNBA and I'm a grateful to have the opportunity to repeatedly watch the GOAT.

That said it's important to be realistic about consumer demand for the entertainment that comes from sports. The consumer market for women's basketball is tiny. It is growing but it's tiny.

I think about my attendance at basketball games at my alma mater McClintock High school.

Attendance at women's games is a tiny fraction of men's games. This past season the Lady Chargers, yes they are called the Lady Chargers Were 28 and 3 won the region and advanced to the OCTA finals in the open State tournament. A wonderful team.

The men were average.

The attendance at the outstanding women's team this year was probably on a regular basis between 50 and 100 fans. The men's team routinely generated 500 to 600 fans.

Of significance when this wonderful women's team went on the road the attendance was less. This was a marquee team well coached with the region player of the year, the region leading rebounder, and an entertaining up tempo style of play.

This personal anecdote reflects the broader truth. Those of us who enjoy and admire women's basketball do so with passion, interest and most often grace. Unfortunately there just aren't very many of us. I would also caution about reading too much into the sellout in Canada. While the energy is wonderful and indicated that the WNBA does have some limited skill at marketing this is a one-off. It would certainly be interesting if one of the two proposed franchise expansion teams ends up in Canada but we would need to be realistic as a fan base as to the economic viability and sustainability of such franchise.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

May 13, 2023​

From the WNBA Website

Los Angeles: Bradford, Crystal – Waived
Los Angeles: Gray, Reshanda – Waived
Phoenix: Slocum, Destiny – Waived
Phoenix: Dixon, Liz – Waived

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Where does this money come from? The league is a hole loses money, franchises do not appreciate in value, media rights are tiny in comparison to even soccer.
The key, as I recall from an article on the women's soccer league is to work on the value appreciation and I believe -- it's mothers day so I'm not going to research this heavily today -- there's starting to be an uptick in some franchises.

However, with the input that franchises that New York or Las Vegas are putting into personnel (both players, coaches and facilities), I've got to think we'll start seeing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom