WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Transactions from WNBA website for May 5th and May 7th.
Confirms Alisia Jenkins and Evina Westbrook were waived from Washington Mystics.
U of Miami's Destiny Harden waived by Phoenix.

May 7, 2023​

Connecticut: Macaulay, Victoria – Waivers Cleared
Atlanta: Pivec, Mikayla – Waivers Cleared
Atlanta: Coates, Alaina – Waivers Cleared
Phoenix: Harden, Destiny – Waivers
Washington: Westbrook, Evina – Waived
Washington: Jenkins, Alisia – Waived

May 5, 2023​

Minnesota: Washington, Keishana – Waivers Cleared
Indiana: Davis, Rennia – Waivers Cleared
Connecticut: Herbert Harrigan, Mikiah – Waivers Cleared
Connecticut: Hillsman, Khaalia – Waivers Cleared
Connecticut: Smith, Kiara – Waivers Cleared
Connecticut: Macaulay, Victoria – Waived
Atlanta: Pivec, Mikayla – Waived
Atlanta: Coates, Alaina – Waived
Phoenix: Harden, Destiny – Waived

May 8, 2023

Minnesota: Williams, Kiana - Waived
Minnesota: Watts, Stephanie - Waived

Phoenix: Shook, Kylee - Waived

May 9, 2023

Indiana: William, Ladazhia - Waived

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
NEWS: @minnesotalynx Waive Kiana Williams and Stephanie Watts

Lynx roster now at 17....
Thanks...I "hijacked" these names to put recent cuts in one place (just above). Lynx brought a lot of people into an already crowded roster and now have to cut it quite a ways down.

Reaction Score
What does waivers cleared, mean?
Assuming WNBA waivers are the same as most sports, after a player is waived, there’s a very brief period, likely 24 hrs, where a team can claim that player. Typically the worst team from the previous season gets first dibs and cycles through to the best team. If a team claims them, they attain the player’s rights at their current contract value. If no team puts in a claim, the player has cleared waivers and they become a full fledged free agent.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Assuming WNBA waivers are the same as most sports, after a player is waived, there’s a very brief period, likely 24 hrs, where a team can claim that player. Typically the worst team from the previous season gets first dibs and cycles through to the best team. If a team claims them, they attain the player’s rights at their current contract value. If no team puts in a claim, the player has cleared waivers and they become a full fledged free agent.
Thanks for explaining this, as I tried to read the rule online and my eyes glazed over. :D

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Brutal if true.

Morris and fellow rookie guards Jayla Everett and Diamond Battles got the least amount of time in the game vs. the Liberty.
Tough road for all three of them with Hiedeman, Ty Harris and Nia Clouden.

This is one hard league to crack. And to think two starters from the NCAA championship team are now looking for their next chances.

Reaction Score
Brutal if true.

Very tough. Sometimes I even feel conflicted about the rookies being promoted when a lot won't make the team. I mean I feel bad for them as it almost seems like they are exploited. Like Indiana and Grace Berger. What if she doesn't make the team. But the day after she got drafted they were selling jerseys.

Like is Brea Beal going to be in Minnesota next week. And I'm a fan of Beal, I'm just saying.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Very tough. Sometimes I even feel conflicted about the rookies being promoted when a lot won't make the team. I mean I feel bad for them as it almost seems like they are exploited. Like Indiana and Grace Berger. What if she doesn't make the team. But the day after she got drafted they were selling jerseys.

Like is Brea Beal going to be in Minnesota next week. And I'm a fan of Beal, I'm just saying.

I just noted the NWSL is going to expand to 16 teams by 2026. Now, I've seen some of the fees being asked for (and paid for) a franchise and this is the NWSL (and I coached soccer for years). I'd have to think that with the surge in WBB that the WNBA has to be taking advantage of this interest at some point. Yes, they've got to keep the 144 in good shape (salaries, travel, etc.), but I think this league is only going to grow if the league puts money into it.

And expansion would give more opportunities for rookies who were good enough to get drafted. Imagine if baseball just kept cutting their best Triple AAA prospects? The WNBA is virtually throwing it's young off a cliff. Got to change that.

Reaction Score

Take the liberty, with there top 8 or 9, Willoughby, and Richards after 2. or 3 years are basically bench players.
For the last 2 spots New York should keep Sabally, and Kone 2 rookies who have potential to be good.
They both are paid less then Willoughby and Richards.

Reaction Score
Expansion definitely needs to occur to elevate the league. I’d be really curious on opening day to see a ranking of the top 24-48 active wbb players not on WNBA rosters.

Reaction Score
So sad for her. She scored 21 pts at the 2023 champion game with Iowa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just noted the NWSL is going to expand to 16 teams by 2026. Now, I've seen some of the fees being asked for (and paid for) a franchise and this is the NWSL (and I coached soccer for years). I'd have to think that with the surge in WBB that the WNBA has to be taking advantage of this interest at some point. Yes, they've got to keep the 144 in good shape (salaries, travel, etc.), but I think this league is only going to grow if the league puts money into it.

And expansion would give more opportunities for rookies who were good enough to get drafted. Imagine if baseball just kept cutting their best Triple AAA prospects? The WNBA is virtually throwing it's young off a cliff. Got to change that.
The NWSL seems to be growing at a much faster rate than the WNBA

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The NWSL seems to be growing at a much faster rate than the WNBA
One challenge might be seasonal - NWSL is happening now thru the summer, and if the WNBA moved to the winter season, perhaps there'd be more interest? Dunno.

Reaction Score
One challenge might be seasonal - NWSL is happening now thru the summer, and if the WNBA moved to the winter season, perhaps there'd be more interest? Dunno.

I believe the WNBA should move to the winter and play double headers with the NBA. That’ll get people in the seats

Reaction Score
I know there are those who roll their eyes when the expansion topic comes up, but something does have to happen. For as much as people say there's no fan support, we're seeing this changing and things are trending upwards. The NBA had a brutal time surviving until the mid-80s and it was around a lot longer than the WNBA by that point.

And expansion in some areas could get a heck more support than what people assume. I look at Toronto, obviously because of my Canadian bias. Not only would the expansion team be supported by the city, it would also have the benefit of a national fan base like the Raptors have. Their fan base travels or will come out to games in the US if they currently live in the US. The sell out for this exhibition game gives me hope that it's more than feasible.

Something has to change. I just hope it's sooner than later.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I believe the WNBA should move to the winter and play double headers with the NBA. That’ll get people in the seats
The challenge with this, sadly, is unless salaries increase, there may be a significant exodus of players that can make more money in European leagues in the winter. Not all of them do, however right now, there are quite a few that are in the W now and then go overseas for the winter/offseason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know there are those who roll their eyes when the expansion topic comes up, but something does have to happen. For as much as people say there's no fan support, we're seeing this changing and things are trending upwards. The NBA had a brutal time surviving until the mid-80s and it was around a lot longer than the WNBA by that point.

And expansion in some areas could get a heck more support than what people assume. I look at Toronto, obviously because of my Canadian bias. Not only would the expansion team be supported by the city, it would also have the benefit of a national fan base like the Raptors have. Their fan base travels or will come out to games in the US if they currently live in the US. The sell out for this exhibition game gives me hope that it's more than feasible.

Something has to change. I just hope it's sooner than later.
I have always thought Toronto would be a good market for the W. I think the only thing holding them back is the travel accommodations. The W likely needs to secure charter flights full time first.

Toronto and Oakland would be my top two picks for expansions followed by areas with established women's basketball fanbases nearby like a Nashville or Charlotte.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And here is the Latest Transaction News (in this case, waviers or waivers cleared):

Minnesota: Watts, Stephanie – Waivers Cleared
Minnesota: Williams, Kiana – Waivers Cleared
Phoenix: Shook, Kylee – Waivers Cleared
Connecticut: Morris, Alexis – Waived
Connecticut: Battles, Diamond – Waived
Connecticut: Prechtel, Ashten – Waived
Phoenix: Booker, Essence – Waived

Connecticut made these three decisions the morning after their only exhibition game to date. The only rookies on the Sun to stay in camp are guard Jayla Everett from St. John's and forward Caitlin Bickle from Baylor. Guard Nia Clouden and Center Olivia Nelson-Ododa are the first-year players on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom