WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I still can’t believe that Lauren Cox never panned out in the league. I thought was pro ready on both ends coming out of college :oops:
Same. If there’s something to be learned from her and Kalani Brown’s situation, it’s that overall mobility and athleticism seem to trump everything else when it comes to making it in the W these days.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Same. If there’s something to be learned from her and Kalani Brown’s situation, it’s that overall mobility and athleticism seem to trump everything else when it comes to making it in the W these days.
I think that's a really solid observation and, in some cases, some players can't get past that (I think of Brown and Alaina Coates here). However, I also think you've got to have/develop a well-rounded game that needs to be continually fine-tuned and worked on. A successful example of a player doing this was Megan Gustafsson, who is still not a guarantee with Phoenix, but had a really solid off-season in Greece. Cox has worked hard oveseas...we'll (maybe) see if it leads to a spot. Another player who seems to working hard to add to her game is Kylee Shook, who held on for a bit, got cut, but has worked overseas to fine-tune what she can bring to a WNBA team.
Roster or team expansion might help, but this is one tough league for a lesser or not-athletically-gifted big.

Reaction Score

Interesting that Hammon's is in consideration. As a Raptors fan, I'm excited about the idea for selfish reasons. At the same time, it would be a big loss to Vegas if this does happen. A'ja isn't happy per Twitter from what I've seen.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Interesting that Hammon's is in consideration. As a Raptors fan, I'm excited about the idea for selfish reasons. At the same time, it would be a big loss to Vegas if this does happen. A'ja isn't happy per Twitter from what I've seen.

Maybe it's just me, but for some reason your embedded link isn't working. Can you re-post just the hyperlink? Thanks!

Reaction Score
I still can’t believe that Lauren Cox never panned out in the league. I thought was pro ready on both ends coming out of college :oops:
Yeah, same here. I really love Lauren's game and kept hoping that she would be able to land a roster spot to help out a team, in my case the Minnesota Lynx. :D

Reaction Score
Same. To me, she was the best combination of offense/defense in th post that's come out of college in the last 5 years. She can shoot from the high post, pass from there, and put it on the deck and drive. I know the college game doesn't translate, but she was a force on D in college. It must be her lack of speed and athleticism that hinders her.

Reaction Score
It must be her lack of speed and athleticism that hinders her.
Exactly. The same is true of other very successful college "bigs". In the WNBA you need to be able to run the floor consistently and have quick lateral movement so you're not always fouling players driving to the basket. Some go overseas and get leaner and develop a jump shot which helps but if you already have those abilities coming out of college it is a real advantage.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The same is true of other very successful college "bigs". In the WNBA you need to be able to run the floor consistently and have quick lateral movement so you're not always fouling players driving to the basket. Some go overseas and get leaner and develop a jump shot which helps but if you already have those abilities coming out of college it is a real advantage.
Have to be able to guard players in the WNBA, they do a lot of switching, and if you aren't guick you get burned.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
According to the WNBA home site:
  • Emily Engstler has cleared waivers as of Apri. 28 and theoretically can reach out to other teams; and,
  • Sydney Wiese was waived by Phoenix.

I'm still shaking my head that Engstler was deep-sixed and hope the reason had something to do with her recovery from the back injury she's been dealing with.

Reaction Score
The WNBA definitely needs to expand. I would be surprised to see anyone pick up Engstler at this point. If you look over training camp rosters nearly every team still has to shave off about 5 more fringe players and those last few roster cuts from each team will be the ones picked up by others. Teams will grab players off of waivers based on position need and bench depth.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
According to the WNBA home site:
  • Emily Engstler has cleared waivers as of Apri. 28 and theoretically can reach out to other teams; and,
  • Sydney Wiese was waived by Phoenix.

I'm still shaking my head that Engstler was deep-sixed and hope the reason had something to do with her recovery from the back injury she's been dealing with.
Dang. I feel fairly sure that Wiese is better than a number of end of the benchers that were around last season for several teams. After having at least one good year w/ LA, she appears to be on the outside looking in now.

Reaction Score
Dang. I feel fairly sure that Wiese is better than a number of end of the benchers that were around last season for several teams. After having at least one good year w/ LA, she appears to be on the outside looking in now.
Dang. Sydney is just another casualty of the W and its roster restrictions. The W has to really get serious about their expansion plans over the next few years. Too much talent on these teams just sitting on the bench not getting minutes or getting very limited minutes. Heck, some players are not even in the W anymore. But the W could end up losing their loyal fan base over the next few years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't know what to think about the Sun. Jonqel was terrible in the playoffs so I didn't mind her leaving. But having the coach leave for greener pastures is not a good sign. He rebuilt the franchise after the terrible decision to sack Mike Thibault. I hope all the team-building knowledge didn't go with him.

Reaction Score
I don't know what to think about the Sun. Jonqel was terrible in the playoffs so I didn't mind her leaving. But having the coach leave for greener pastures is not a good sign. He rebuilt the franchise after the terrible decision to sack Mike Thibault. I hope all the team-building knowledge didn't go with him.

Ya may wanna questions the Coach the Sun hired.

Reaction Score
What’s going on with Christyn Williams? I know she was drafted by the mystics last season & suffered a season-ending injury but I don’t see her on the training camp roster this year.

Reaction Score
What’s going on with Christyn Williams? I know she was drafted by the mystics last season & suffered a season-ending injury but I don’t see her on the training camp roster this year.

Not 100% sure but I do know she is still doing therapy for her knee. Not sure if she is cleared to play

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And to put the WNBA May transactions to date in one place (from the WNBA transactions site):

May 3, 2023​

Minnesota: Washington, Keishana – Waived
Indiana: Davis, Rennia – Waived
Connecticut: Herbert Harrigan, Mikiah – Waived
Connecticut: Hillsman, Khaalia – Waived
Connecticut: Smith, Kiara – Waived

May 2, 2023​

Connecticut: Petree, Lasha – Waivers Cleared

May 1, 2023​

Washington: Engstler, Emily – Sign Training Camp Contract

Last edited:
Status