Who Were The Refs?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who Were The Refs??

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I remember this article. There's been a lot of talk like this. Doesn't say anything about what upstater is talking about.
To me, it says that @upstater misremembered it as something during the Tournament. That seemed off, but I knew what he was referring to.

I decided to read through the thread before pitching in that I recalled it as during the January losses, but I would have said that I wasn't going to going to bother to look up details.

@JohnFSilver link went to the story I was thinking of, so thanks to him for doing the work I wouldn't have. And I definitely recollect that the matter was discussed in a thread.

I don't remember that anybody at that time criticized Goodman's looks, or that anybody protested that somebody had done that, by saying that's something that should be off limits

No doubt that Upstater was incorrect, and it would have been a far bigger story if it was during the Tournament, so I can see @BigErnMcCracken , @Chin Diesel, and you crying "foul," but @superjohn could nonetheless use the linked story as a literal answer to his, "What are you talking about?" question. It affirms that Upstater wasn't just completely making stuff, but he had it wrong.

If the refs had called folks on the UNH guys who aggressively pushed off defenders as though clearly instructed to do it constantly, then all 3 of the guys who scored 90% of the Wildcat points would have been gone befire the 3nd half midpoint.

Instead, we got to see everybody not named Cam Spencer combine for 1-23 from three. Eek.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
To me, it says that @upstater misremembered it as something during the Tournament. That seemed off, but I knew what he was referring to.

I decided to read through the thread before pitching in that I recalled it as during the January losses, but I would have said that I wasn't going to going to bother to look up details.

@JohnFSilver link went to the story I was thinking of, so thanks to him for doing the work I wouldn't have. And I definitely recollect that the matter was discussed in a thread.

I don't remember that anybody at that time criticized Goodman's looks, or that anybody protested that somebody had done that, by saying that's something that should be off limits

No doubt that Upstater was incorrect, and it would have been a far bigger story if it was during the Tournament, so I can see @BigErnMcCracken , @Chin Diesel, and you crying "foul," but @superjohn could nonetheless use the linked story as a literal answer to his, "What are you talking about?" question. It affirms that Upstater wasn't just completely making stuff, but he had it wrong.

If the refs had called folks on the UNH guys who aggressively pushed off defenders as though clearly instructed to do it constantly, then all 3 of the guys who scored 90% of the Wildcat points would have been gone befire the 3nd half midpoint.

Instead, we got to see everybody not named Cam Spencer combine for 1-23 from three. Eek.
#47, it's not what upstater was talking about.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
#47, it's not what upstater was talking about.
Yeah, I found that odd.

When he posts a link, I'll say I'm wrong.

I think he got it wrong. I just don't have any need to keep the discussion all get; you might...which is your right.

Reaction Score
Fox doesn't do the NCAA tournament, so he's confused in his own fever dream comments.
I remember it being said last spring. I don't remember the game. If it's Fox, it had to be the BET. I thought it was the tourney. I wish I could go back to find the Fox games in the BET, there were only 3, and we're talking about 10 minutes of viewing each, so 30 minutes total. You'd find it there.

Reaction Score
I remember it being said last spring. I don't remember the game. If it's Fox, it had to be the BET. I thought it was the tourney. I wish I could go back to find the Fox games in the BET, there were only 3, and we're talking about 10 minutes of viewing each, so 30 minutes total. You'd find it there.

Give it up and take the L, man. It happens to everyone sometimes.

Except @navery12 -- he must have a boneyard eidetic memory.

Reaction Score
Coaches opinions of O’Connell from a 2021 Athletic article regarding the best and worst college referees. Look at the fourth quote.

Brian O’Connell

“Experienced. Reffed big games. He’s not going to get caught up in the game. I think he’s going to call it as he sees it.”

“I do like Brian. He’s a good official, very good. I’d say he’s in my top 10. Very fair. Accurate. You can talk to Brian.’’

“I love Brian. Former player, just gets it. He’s the kind, you don’t worry about him reffing a game, like, against Duke. It’s not like Duke is going to get every call.’’

“Brian is very, very, very prone to listening. Like listening to chatter that doesn’t involve the game, even like with fans. He’s also the kind of guy who will talk to an assistant coach like, ‘sit down.’ Disrespectful. That’s a grown man.’’

“I love Brian. He’s my favorite referee. He’s tough on the road. He doesn’t bend. I want a guy who’s not going to talk to coaches. Just call the game. And don’t get swayed by the crowd.’’

Reaction Score
Do we know the refs for the Kansas game yet? Will they be B12 refs or neutral conf refs?

tia

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
O'Connell hates Hurley. It's pretty clear that he still does. He doesn't like coaches that talk back and even the new calmer Dan is too much. He shouldn't be calling UConn games. That said, this crew was simply awful. Called a bunch of bad fouls on UNH too. Seems like they thought the game was getting out of hand and clamped down on it excessively.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was O'Connell that Hurley was after. It was the bald guy, Kipp Kissinger. Not sure I get the hate for O'Connell.

Reaction Score
Coaches opinions of O’Connell from a 2021 Athletic article regarding the best and worst college referees. Look at the fourth quote.

Brian O’Connell

“Experienced. Reffed big games. He’s not going to get caught up in the game. I think he’s going to call it as he sees it.”

“I do like Brian. He’s a good official, very good. I’d say he’s in my top 10. Very fair. Accurate. You can talk to Brian.’’

“I love Brian. Former player, just gets it. He’s the kind, you don’t worry about him reffing a game, like, against Duke. It’s not like Duke is going to get every call.’’

“Brian is very, very, very prone to listening. Like listening to chatter that doesn’t involve the game, even like with fans. He’s also the kind of guy who will talk to an assistant coach like, ‘sit down.’ Disrespectful. That’s a grown man.’’

“I love Brian. He’s my favorite referee. He’s tough on the road. He doesn’t bend. I want a guy who’s not going to talk to coaches. Just call the game. And don’t get swayed by the crowd.’’

Found Brian's burner account.

Reaction Score
Give it up and take the L, man. It happens to everyone sometimes.

Except @navery12 -- he must have a boneyard eidetic memory.
I'm actually glad that someone posted my post from March where I said the exact same thing. So at the very least, I absolutely remember verbatim what I wrote in a tweet 9 months ago!!!!

Reaction Score
O'Connell hates Hurley. It's pretty clear that he still does. He doesn't like coaches that talk back and even the new calmer Dan is too much. He shouldn't be calling UConn games. That said, this crew was simply awful. Called a bunch of bad fouls on UNH too. Seems like they thought the game was getting out of hand and clamped down on it excessively.
It’s personal.

He is a good ref, but he absolutely tried to bait in the second half.

Reaction Score
Maybe you heard something but it can't be as you described in this thread. Don't you think if refs ever said that publicly on the record it would be a huge deal and everyone would remember it? Everyone associated with college basketball would remember it!

Reaction Score
Maybe you heard something but it can't be as you described in this thread. Don't you think if refs ever said that publicly on the record it would be a huge deal and everyone would remember it? Everyone associated with college basketball would remember it!
Was not said on the record. The refs weren't named. The whole crew was like, WTF!?!?! It was said then immediately dropped. They specifically never mentioned the ref.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom