Week 18 - March 4 to 11 (conf standings, NET, conf tourney games) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Week 18 - March 4 to 11 (conf standings, NET, conf tourney games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To beat SC you need some luck. If they have that too, then it’s over.
Luck is hitting a miracle three from half court with a hand in your face.

This was just … I don’t even know. I’m still in shock. What exactly was the plan with 1.1 seconds? How do you just let the other team loft in an easy pass for a wide open dead on shot at the basket?

Lucky for SCar that TN has awful last second game awareness, I guess.

Reaction Score
I have to say I NEVER like this idea of fouling. You give the opposing team the ball out of bounds with time to set up a play, and free time for the ball to fly thru the air.

In contrast they are running down the floor, all out of sorts.

I never understood why teams do this.
Yeah, That was dumb.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I totally fault Tennessee for selling out to make sure Kamilla Cardoso was the one who had to shoot a three.

Tennessee deserved to win that game. Brutal loss. I think they were in the tournament regardless but they are absolutely in now. They could give somebody hell as a 7-seed.

South Carolina is going to have to both bounce back from an emotional win and play significantly better tomorrow or the undefeated streak will only last another night.

Curious others’ thoughts — was it bad defense by SC or was Tennessee just hitting anything they threw up? To me it looked like both.

Reaction Score
But they won? This just reinforced my belief that they are the best team in the country by a long shot. Pulling out a a clutch win like that in a conference tourney is insane. I was worried they might lose in a fluke night off but now I know they can’t be beaten after that tbh. I read an article in January saying they might be the greatest college women’s basketball tema
If all time and thought it was a bit too much but now I’m not so sure.

Can I get a link to that article from January?

The reverse jinx game on here is strong.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I totally fault Tennessee for selling out to make sure Kamilla Cardoso was the one who had to shoot a three.

Tennessee deserved to win that game. Brutal loss. I think they were in the tournament regardless but they are absolutely in now. They could give somebody hell as a 7-seed.

South Carolina is going to have to both bounce back from an emotional win and play significantly better tomorrow or the undefeated streak will only last another night.

Curious others’ thoughts — was it bad defense by SC or was Tennessee just hitting anything they threw up? To me it looked like both.

I mean leaving her wide open to catch the ball with no one within eye sight was really bad, but the choice to foul was worse.

Reaction Score
"If the undefeated Gamecocks run the table, they would place themselves among the top squads in NCAA history"

Hater. lol.
Hater? I’m cheering for South Carolina to win the natty and have already placed $500 on it last week. The article title is literally “

South Carolina could make case for best team ever if Dawn Staley's historic run continue”​

I don’t think it’s the only article I even read. Personally I think they might be the greatest team of all time given how much better they are than their competition. i don’t get this issue with it? Super athletic deep and skilled. Great defense and great outside shooting. I don’t know how you stop them tbh.

Reaction Score
Uh no, they are not the greatest team ever.

If they finish undefeated they certainly are an all-time great, no question. But the GOAT team doesn’t need a miracle 3 against an unranked team.
Every night is a fight in the SEC tournament.

It’s tough to beat a decent team 3 times in one year.

I started practicing this morning in anticipation of a close game. Closer than I thought.

Reaction Score
:cool: Woohoo! A win is a win.

I think the problem is that these girls are so hungry to win championships that they get themselves in a mental funk when things don't go their way and they compound the issue by forgetting the habits that got them here in the first place.

Also, that shot by Cardoso gave me flashbacks of Boston's 3-pointer to tie the game against the Liberty to take the game to overtime.

Reaction Score
I mean leaving her wide open to catch the ball with no one within eye sight was really bad, but the choice to foul was worse
You are right — for some reason I thought they had a soft closeout on her with everyone else covered. Rewatched and saw she was wide open. Yeah, that’s a big mistake.

Reaction Score
I had a thought that today's game was going to be tough. Let's see if the prediction I told my parents will come true... I feared this game against Tennessee more than I feared a hypothetical matchup with LSU in the SEC championship game because of the fact that we've played UT 3x in 24 days. It's hard to beat the same team with a player like Rikea 3x in a row. I also think that LSU is walking wounded, so I think South Carolina's depth will become more of an asset on day 3, especially against a depleted team like LSU.

Reaction Score
Hater? I’m cheering for South Carolina to win the natty and have already placed $500 on it last week. The article title is literally “

South Carolina could make case for best team ever if Dawn Staley's historic run continue”​

I don’t think it’s the only article I even read. Personally I think they might be the greatest team of all time given how much better they are than their competition. i don’t get this issue with it? Super athletic deep and skilled. Great defense and great outside shooting. I don’t know how you stop them tbh.

lol. Not buying it.

Reaction Score
Personally I think they might be the greatest team of all time given how much better they are than their competition. i don’t get this issue with it?
Well, you’re entitled to your opinion I guess.

They would certainly be considered one of the greats if they won it all while undefeated. Only a few programs have done that.

Some have done it more than others, but who’s counting …

Reaction Score
Good catch! I stand corrected. They did punch their ticket -- but for the WNIT.

So we have that awkward situation where the team that got demolished in the conference tournament final had already earned the automatic NCAA bid by virtue of their semifinal win.

UT-Martin pulled off two upsets in a row playing only five players to get to the final against Southern Indiana. UT-M's coach said after the semi-finals that SI is the best team in the conference, and he believes they deserve to be in the NCAA tourney. In fact, he said if Adidas can come up with something and the powers-that-be approve, his team will wear a Screaming Eagle on one side of their uniform and the UT-M logo on the other.

For the record, SI must complete four years to be eligible for the NCAA tourney. This was just their second. They're an excellent team. And, UT-M made it to the finals playing five freshmen and sophomores. Four players were injured.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How have I never heard that Taylor Jones has a twin until today?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
High Point lost in their conference tourney semi final today. I think they will get an auto bid to the WNIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom