OT: US Open

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Helluva finish by Rahm.

Seemed like last nine was players taking themselves out with poor play and Rahm absolutely won it with his play and those putts.

Great ending.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Helluva finish by Rahm.

Seemed like last nine was players taking themselves out with poor play and Rahm absolutely won it with his play and those putts.

Great ending.
Back 9, day 4 for top 10 after 54 holes:
Rahm 34
Xander 35
Louie 36
Streelman 36
Scheffler 37
Hanley 38
Morikawa 38
Wolff 38
DJ 38
McIlroy 39
Bez 40
Hughes 41
Bryson 44

Reaction Score
His risk calculus was also different initially apparently. Cost him $1.7M. He’s an adult and knew the rules and the risks. Not sure why this is triggering you so much.

And I‘m pretty sure he doesn’t gaf now.

but you guys keep wagging your fingers. He makes 1.7m just to have his likeness used I bet.

I was pulling for Louis. But Rahm prevailed and it‘s nice to see some karma.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
When there were 10 guys all within a stroke, I thought we might have one of most amazing finishes ever with 3 or more guys going to a playoff.

Really fizzled as the course and nerves took player after player out before the 16th. After Louis' drive on 17 it was just waiting for everyone to clear the course so you could give the trophy to Rahm.

OK - on to the Open Championship next month.

Reaction Score
We came close to a multi player playoff last year at the PGA and this US open. It has to happen soon

Reaction Score
Some bad swings off the tee are being harshly punished by Torrey.

Course has been the star the past hour as it is chewing up and spitting out these pros. No wayward swing goes unpunished.
The course is just a nasty bully. Used to have more trees, but was only 7,000 yds when I played there. Could never break 80 there when I was usually playing in the 70s.

Reaction Score
I've never played Torrey, but (other than the cliffs) it reminds me a bit of La Costa Champions, which had, I believe 96 bunkers that were seriously in play. I think my wife hit a third of them. But Torrey looks like it has sand everywhere. I don't recall so many players playing bunker to bunker in a Major as this weekend.
I think they were aiming for them. The rough was penal, but you could play out of most of the fairway bunkers. The other option was to put it outside the ropes and hope the crowd flattened the grass for you. I still prefer fairways though.

Reaction Score
Here's a site you can have fun with.
Rory, Casey, Bryson and Hughes have all been bad putting, but Morikawa was truly awful.
Putting there is always an adventure. Lots of contours, slopes, and ocean effect. Putts literally break toward the ocean… uphill… on some holes.
I was surprised to see almost no one playing in the fairways on some holes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hey. Best part. DeChambeau had a double bogie and a quadrupole bogie. And he looked like he couldn't even be bothered.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hey. Best part. DeChambeau had a double bogie and a quadrupole bogie. And he looked like he couldn't even be bothered.

Love it when a course just mentally breaks a player. This isn't like other sports when you can bench the stars and put in the scrubs to finish up. You either play the ball tee to hole and do it 18 times or you can quit and get a WD. No max strokes, pick up and go to the next tee.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think they were aiming for them. The rough was penal, but you could play out of most of the fairway bunkers. The other option was to put it outside the ropes and hope the crowd flattened the grass for you. I still prefer fairways though.

And that is what the announcers were saying about Louis on #17. He normally plays a cut off the tee and with the tee box they were playing he had to start it over the hazard and the canyon/valley. Unfortunately he hit it straight and it rolled from the rough to the left in to the hazard. He had 100 yards right of the fairway and could have easily recovered an errant shot from there towards the green and made his par. those bunkers on the right side of the fairway were perfectly located giving players the option to bail out right and potentially be playing a bunker shot for their second or to challenge the hazard area to the left.

The bunkers were perfectly placed for today's hitters. They could hit 3-wood or long iron off the tee to take them out of play and leave a longer second shot in to the green. Brain over brawn sometimes.

Reaction Score
And that is what the announcers were saying about Louis on #17. He normally plays a cut off the tee and with the tee box they were playing he had to start it over the hazard and the canyon/valley. Unfortunately he hit it straight and it rolled from the rough to the left in to the hazard. He had 100 yards right of the fairway and could have easily recovered an errant shot from there towards the green and made his par. those bunkers on the right side of the fairway were perfectly located giving players the option to bail out right and potentially be playing a bunker shot for their second or to challenge the hazard area to the left.

The bunkers were perfectly placed for today's hitters. They could hit 3-wood or long iron off the tee to take them out of play and leave a longer second shot in to the green. Brain over brawn sometimes.
That’s exactly what Rahm did. He plays a cut too but didn’t want anything to do with the left side. It was the smart play, obviously.

Didn’t Looie do something similar at the WGC team event on 17 where he put the ball into the water…but that time on the right

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom