OT: - US Open | The Boneyard

OT: US Open

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Another major is upon us.Thoughts, insights, and picks are welcome here.

Torrey Pines should be longer and thicker than what we see for the Farmers Insurance Open, and with faster greens. Greens are poa annua, which give most guys the fits.

Will the champion be a bomb and gouge player or one that finds fairways and greens? Top stats of US Open winners are (1)SG: Putting, (2)Driving Accuracy, (3)SG: Total, and (4)SG: T2G.

I don't see any of the top players (odds-wise) winning it this year. One of the worst fields of the season last week and DJ couldn't even top 10. Despite Rahm's history of good performance at the Farmers, he was devastated recently and I don't think has recovered. Brooks' game is all over the place and missed the cut last week. Spieth, despite his resurgence, cannot find fairways consistently, and hasn't shown the ability to close consistently. Rory, and especially JT have been relatively off lately. The one top gun that I may consider is Bryson, but even he has been not too consistent. This being said, perhaps they all top 10, but I doubt it.

I like the next tier of guys: Xander, Morikawa, Hovland, Reed, Finau, Cantlay. For longer shots, I like Louie, Kokrak, and Cameron Smith. For a long, longshot, gimme Patrick Rodgers.

And if you say Phil, you're insane.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I said a few weeks ago that Phil would be way over bet based on the PGA.

I do like the California players- Xander, Morikawa and Cantlay.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Current odds:

Jon Rahm9.5/1
Dustin Johnson13/1
Brooks Koepka16/1
Bryson DeChambeau16/1
Xander Schauffele18/1
Jordan Spieth19/1
Collin Morikawa19/1
Justin Thomas19/1
Rory McIlroy20/1
Patrick Cantlay24/1
Viktor Hovland29/1
Tony Finau29/1
Shane Lowry29/1
Patrick Reed30/1
Hideki Matsuyama34/1
Will Zalatoris41/1
Scottie Scheffler41/1
Daniel Berger44/1
Tyrell Hatton46/1
Justin Rose47/1
Webb Simpson47/1
Paul Casey47/1
Louis Oosthuizen50/1
Cam Smith55/1
Phil Mickelson55/1
Tommy Fleetwood70/1
Abe Ancer70/1
Joaquin Niemann70/1
Matthew Fitzpatrick70/1
Corey Conners70/1
Jason Kokrak80/1
Sung-Jae Im85/1
Marc Leishman85/1
Adam Scott90/1
Gary Woodland90/1
Garrick Higgo90/1
Harris English95/1
Brian Harman110/1
Branden Grace110/1
Sergio Garcia110/1
Sam Burns110/1
Max Homa110/1
Lee Westwood120/1
Ryan Palmer150/1
Bubba Watson150/1
Charley Hoffman150/1

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I said a few weeks ago that Phil would be way over bet based on the PGA.

I do like the California players- Xander, Morikawa and Cantlay.
This is probably Phil's last shot at a US Open (which has probably been said every year since 2010). I wouldn't bet him, but also wouldn't be shocked based on his new-found ability to hold it together over 4 days.

I'm gonna go Ancer again. He's proved time and again that one doesn't need to be a bomber to compete on major courses. Plus he was driving >300 yds at the PGA with better than average accuracy. This might not be his tourney, but he's going to win one soon. I also see Zalatoris as a top 5.

And I'm chuckling that Garrett Higgo has better odds than some better known bombers, considering that this time last week nobody knew who the hell Garrett Higgo was.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
And I'm chuckling that Garrett Higgo has better odds than some better known bombers, considering that this time last week nobody knew who the hell Garrett Higgo was.
I want to bet him to miss the cut.

Reaction Score
I'm visiting in-laws during the Open- they live one town north in Del Mar- and hope to get away one day and find someone with extra ticket, maybe I can see the action

Reaction Score
Sooo..what's the betting play in golf? is the idea to take 5-10 guys and hope someone with high enough odds wins to make it worthwhile?

Reaction Score
My in-laws live one town north (Del Mar) and I'll be out there this weekend, maybe I can excuse myself one day and see if I can't score a ticket to watch it

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Sooo..what's the betting play in golf? is the idea to take 5-10 guys and hope someone with high enough odds wins to make it worthwhile?
That's a good option, yes. Sprinkle a couple of bucks on a couple of different guys.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My in-laws live one town north (Del Mar) and I'll be out there this weekend, maybe I can excuse myself one day and see if I can't score a ticket to watch it
Absolutely excuse yourself.

Reaction Score
Torrey isn't a thinkers' golf course. See narrow fairway, hit narrow fairway. See green, hit green. Similar to Firestone, Bethpage and Winged Foot.

With rough up I think only a bomber can win - Bryson, DJ, Brooks. Finau to top 10.

I'm between Bryson and DJ with a DJ lean

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think it is Rahm's time. He was lapping a strong field at the Memorial. I'm somewhat surprised he is the favorite coming in. I thought he'd be top 5 but not the fave. I think he is ready to start winning multiple majors over the next few years.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Torrey isn't a thinkers' golf course. See narrow fairway, hit narrow fairway. See green, hit green. Similar to Firestone, Bethpage and Winged Foot.

With rough up I think only a bomber can win - Bryson, DJ, Brooks. Finau to top 10.

Any love for a Champ, Niemann, Kokrak, or Vegas?

Reaction Score
Another major is upon us.Thoughts, insights, and picks are welcome here.

Torrey Pines should be longer and thicker than what we see for the Farmers Insurance Open, and with faster greens. Greens are poa annua, which give most guys the fits.

Will the champion be a bomb and gouge player or one that finds fairways and greens? Top stats of US Open winners are (1)SG: Putting, (2)Driving Accuracy, (3)SG: Total, and (4)SG: T2G.

I don't see any of the top players (odds-wise) winning it this year. One of the worst fields of the season last week and DJ couldn't even top 10. Despite Rahm's history of good performance at the Farmers, he was devastated recently and I don't think has recovered. Brooks' game is all over the place and missed the cut last week. Spieth, despite his resurgence, cannot find fairways consistently, and hasn't shown the ability to close consistently. Rory, and especially JT have been relatively off lately. The one top gun that I may consider is Bryson, but even he has been not too consistent. This being said, perhaps they all top 10, but I doubt it.

I like the next tier of guys: Xander, Morikawa, Hovland, Reed, Finau, Cantlay. For longer shots, I like Louie, Kokrak, and Cameron Smith. For a long, longshot, gimme Patrick Rodgers.

And if you say Phil, you're insane.
Having played it throughout the years I was stationed in SD, I can guarantee it will be different than the Farmers. It should be fast, hard, and even longer than it plays in winter. The rough can be brutal. I don’t see bomb and gouge as a winning strategy. I favor smooth consistent playing for this one.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Usually I think I may have someone I think is playing great with the best chance to win for these. I don't this time.

That said, I wouldn't bet against the favorite. If he was able to get serious practice in, there's no reason to think he's not on his game like he was 2 weeks ago.

I just don't know how much the emotional roller coaster took out of him.

Reaction Score
I like Rahm.

Oh and it turns out he was vaccinated. So all of you scoldy judgey types can go get f%##d.

Reaction Score

Finau doesn’t win tournaments.

I would love to see Higgo win again. He hits ridiculous drives.

Reaction Score
^ dark horse Wilco Nienaber to top 10. Dude makes Bryson look average

Yeah and he doesn’t drink gallons of protein shakes and need to hyperventilate to do it.

Reaction Score
I like Rahm.

Oh and it turns out he was vaccinated. So all of you scoldy judgey types can go get f%##d.
Per Yahoo Sports:
"Truth is, I was vaccinated. I just wasn't out of that 14-day period. I had started the process, and unfortunately, that's how timing ended up being," Rahm said.

“Looking back on it, yeah, I guess I wish I would have done it [vaccination] earlier, but thinking on scheduling purposes and having the PGA and defending Memorial, to be honest it wasn't in my mind.

“I'm not going to lie; I was trying to just get ready for a golf tournament. If I had done it a few days earlier, probably we wouldn't be having these conversations right now.”

Careless, and $1.7M poorer, but not as stupid as he first seemed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sirius XM had a nice interview this morning with James Hervol from UConn. It was on the The New Breed of Golf show. Full segment mentioned UConn several times.

Focused on what it was like to be a first time US Open player, what type of preparation he has done at Torrey Pines and how he is trying to get his tour card.

Hervol said the COVID break was good for him because he knew he had some changes he needed to make with his swing and the stoppage of play gave him time to work on swing without worrying about short term drops in tournament results.

Reaction Score
Per Yahoo Sports:
"Truth is, I was vaccinated. I just wasn't out of that 14-day period. I had started the process, and unfortunately, that's how timing ended up being," Rahm said.

“Looking back on it, yeah, I guess I wish I would have done it [vaccination] earlier, but thinking on scheduling purposes and having the PGA and defending Memorial, to be honest it wasn't in my mind.

“I'm not going to lie; I was trying to just get ready for a golf tournament. If I had done it a few days earlier, probably we wouldn't be having these conversations right now.”

Careless, and $1.7M poorer, but not as stupid as he first seemed.

Careless? You lame scold. He had the vaccine. Now shut up and go drink Metamucil.

Reaction Score
Sirius XM had a nice interview this morning with James Hervol from UConn. It was on the The New Breed of Golf show. Full segment mentioned UConn several times.

Focused on what it was like to be a first time US Open player, what type of preparation he has done at Torrey Pines and how he is trying to get his tour card.

Hervol said the COVID break was good for him because he knew he had some changes he needed to make with his swing and the stoppage of play gave him time to work on swing without worrying about short term drops in tournament results.

I heard that interview too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom