Uncle Cliff | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uncle Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sorry...it just does not get any better than "Uncle Spliffy". He should make a killing.

Now...pass the kouchie on the left hand side.
I hope you meant dutchie cuz I don't want no sloppy seconds. Now "excuse me while I kiss this guy"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not remotely shocking that this'd be your take on this. Not sure what a "pot match" is but I can tell you that whatever ruination resulted was not the fault of the plant.

I thought pot match was a poker term.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And owning the dart board in the back room.

My one Ted's encounter with Cliff was at the pinball machines in the Spring after his last season. My buddy and I found ourselves playing the machine next to him and out of the blue he says to Cliff, "Y'know if you don't make the NBA you can still make good money in Europe." I was aghast but there was no place to hide. Cliff catches the ball on one of the flippers, turns to buddy with a death stare and says, "I ain't going to no Europe!" He was right!

C

Chief00

100% of obese people started out eating smaller portions. Avoid food, it leads to obesity.

100% of white collar criminals started out with normal monetary transactions. Avoid money, it leads to criminality.

Nearly 100% of people who write posts that are based on poor logic started by writing seemingly innocuous posts. Facts are clear, do not post anything on message boards, it will destroy your ability to think critically.
Go through life rationalizing - it's sadly a pretty non productive life

Reaction Score
I thought pot match was a poker term.
Yes and we all know poker leads to more risky gambling like betting on your favorite college sports team

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score

That is the most illogical thing I've ever seen posted on the internet, since you have absolutely no idea what my level of productivity is.

Won't be able to respond to your next post since I will be at work for the next 9-10 hours.

Reaction Score
Everyone's forgetting that Cliff's second act was his stint on Survivor, this has to be at least his 3rd act.

Survivor is nearing another kickoff, this time with Scot Pollard on the cast, looking forward to him being a caveman

Reaction Score

I know guys who started off lying on message boards. It progressed to lying to their wives and kids. Pretty sad.

C

Chief00

That is the most illogical thing I've ever seen posted on the internet, since you have absolutely no idea what my level of productivity is.

Won't be able to respond to your next post since I will be at work for the next 9-10 hours.
Reading this thread - seems like everyone's goal is to have their kid grow up to be a potheads.
Do I think pot hurts motivation? Yes, I have seen examples of that including two of the names some have mentioned.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Regardless of what he decides to do, Uncle Cliffy is a classic
Who in their right mind would have expected him to play so many seasons in the NBA? The same could be said about KO
Cliffy was so maligned as a freshman and sophomore but boy did he have some monster games.
I kidded earlier about the past players who may have had a rep to enjoy a few joints and unlike Billy Clinton, they definately inhaled (I know i shared a few puffs with some of them; hell if the freakin make believe President of the USA can admit to snorting coke....)
In many ways, I admire Cliff

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Reading this thread - seems like everyone's goal is to have their kid grow up to be a potheads.
Do I think pot hurts motivation? Yes, I have seen examples of that including two of the names some have mentioned.
Maybe some here have, but I can say that I've never personally known any serious pothead who were successful in life or career. The ones I've known/know just sleepwalk through life. I saw an interview recently where one of the smokers who invented the term '420' and owns a legal pot business said he stopped smoking years ago because he found it hindered success and he saw that the heavy smokers he knew had life issues they were trying to numb. They had bad careers and relationships either as a result of smoking or vice versa.

Reaction Score
Cliff has always been a free spirit, but it could be worse hes got a plan, and its a business and he could make a lot of money from this job.

Reaction Score
there's a mic drop moment...

I was at UConn from 98-02. It's fair to say from personal experience that many of our players played and succeeded in the pot match.
The "pot match", hahaha. Can that be one of the go to phrases on here now?Considering the rest of us were usually baked while there, why should the players miss out on all the fun of the student body experience? If not mentioned, Phil Gamble was usually with Cliff so safe to say he was probably no stranger to the pot match.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Maybe some here have, but I can say that I've never personally known any serious pothead who were successful in life or career. The ones I've known/know just sleepwalk through life. I saw an interview recently where one of the smokers who invented the term '420' and owns a legal pot business said he stopped smoking years ago because he found it hindered success and he saw that the heavy smokers he knew had life issues they were trying to numb. They had bad careers and relationships either as a result of smoking or vice versa.

Can't paint everything with a broad brush
I know people who would smoke their fair share of pot and still become successful.
Now if you are considering someone who smokes sevearl times of day, I agree - same can be said of someone who drinks a lot.
I went to Tedeschi - Trucks at Simsbury last summer and could not believe the number of folks in their 60s talking about their grandkids and their jobs before the concert and when the lights went out, out came the pot. My daughter who works at the Hartford saw at least a dozen high level officers and their spouses/significant others puffing away and trying to be clandestine about it - she was shocked.
I was at the Dead and Company show at MSG this past fall and there were 3 couples behind me - two of the guys worked at a major bank in the corporate funding area and the other guy owned an investment firm in midtown. Being in the banking field myself, I struck up conversations with them. These guys and their spouses are good for $500K per year - easy. Again, when the lights went out the puffing among the 6 was continual and if I hadn't given it up years ago, i would have partaken - the invitation was there.
I attend many concerts a year and see these sights at virtually every one.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Cliff has always been a free spirit, but it could be worse hes got a plan, and its a business and he could make a lot of money from this job.
I have a great idea for Cliff. "Uncle Cliffy's Cookies". Like Famous Amos but containing weed and with a picture of Uncle Cliffy in rasta dreds and hat on the package.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That's the rhetoric of a failed drug warrior.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Can't paint everything with a broad brush
I know people who would smoke their fair share of pot and still become successful.
Now if you are considering someone who smokes sevearl times of day, I agree - same can be said of someone who drinks a lot.
I went to Tedeschi - Trucks at Simsbury last summer and could not believe the number of folks in their 60s talking about their grandkids and their jobs before the concert and when the lights went out, out came the pot. My daughter who works at the Hartford saw at least a dozen high level officers and their spouses/significant others puffing away and trying to be clandestine about it - she was shocked.
I was at the Dead and Company show at MSG this past fall and there were 3 couples behind me - two of the guys worked at a major bank in the corporate funding area and the other guy owned an investment firm in midtown. Being in the banking field myself, I struck up conversations with them. These guys and their spouses are good for $500K per year - easy. Again, when the lights went out the puffing among the 6 was continual and if I hadn't given it up years ago, i would have partaken - the invitation was there.
I attend many concerts a year and see these sights at virtually every one.
I attended Motley Crue's final concert tour and because there was traffic after, people decided to tailgate in the lot waiting for the traffic to clear. One group lit up pipes and chugged beers with no designated driver in sight and then proceeded to drive home. It would've been a good place for a police spot check. I hope they and everyone on the road made it home alive.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe if Cliff Robinson hadn't had his motivation destroyed by marijuana, he could have had a productive NBA career, instead of only playing 18 seasons and scoring nearly 20,000 points.
Well, when he was with Portland, he was Sixth Man of the Year and a star for a while with the whole headband thing. Then....not so much. Maybe he used the headband to store his stash?

Reaction Score
Well, when he was with Portland, he was Sixth Man of the Year and a star for a while with the whole headband thing. Then....not so much. Maybe he used the headband to store his stash?

Cliff's career arc follows almost exactly what you would expect, given his age. He was pretty good at first, hit his prime at 27 and was great for about 3 years, started declining in his 30s but was still quite productive for several years, and after 35 was a role player until he ultimately retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom